Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2016, 02:49 AM   #21
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just saw it in Bangkok, was worried the Thai's might censor it but was pleasantly surprised. The movie seems to be doing gangbusters here, at the theater I went to it was showing every 30 minutes and most shows seemed to be sold out

Very happy my expectations were exceeded, this was the role Reynolds was born for. Excited to see the sequel and how they use him in the X-men universe going forward
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #22
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It was a lot of fun. Unless you hate gratuitous sex, violence and foul language you're going to enjoy it.

There's also no way, in my mind, they could have made the same movie but with a PG-13 rating.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #23
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I didn't like the level of violence, that's just me. But, the way the story was told was much better than pretty much every other superhero story.

Breaking the fourth wall, easygoing, not too serious... that's how comic book movies should always be imo.

Even with the most clichéd story in human history (bad guy kidnaps good guys girl) the different approach made it so much better. Comic book movies are supposed to be stupid fun and somewhere started trying to be epic novellas. Really shows you don't have to be so serious all the time, the comedy actually helps lend gravitas to the brutality and violence because it's not just mindless droning on of explosions.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #24
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The story wasn't that cliched if you think about. The "save the girl" story was the last 20 or so minutes. The entire movie was "he made me ugly and tortured me so now he has to pay".

I think it was refreshing from the "destroy the entire world/universe" storyline most superhero movies go through. They've all been trying to one-up each other on the destruction. This was a nice change.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #25
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maximum Effort!

That was awesome, I haven't laughed that much at the movies in a long time.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #26
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I loved it. Very refreshing superhero movie. Colossus was awesome!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #27
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the success Deadpool had in the box office over the weekend potentially opens the door towards more R rated super hero movies in the future.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Article on why deadpool may not pave the way for more R rated superhero movies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco.../#61b7671a6650
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #29
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Well I was expecting to really enjoy this one and he blew me away, all expectations were exceeded. I loved the pokes at Green Lantern and his previous run of Deadpool, they were in good taste and perfectly timed. I couldn't believe just how good he was as Deadpool, like it was unreal. I have very limited exposure to the Deadpool comics, but I did read a few arcs before seeing this just so I would have a better idea and Reynolds seemed to be bang on. Again like most comic book movies, his Wade Wilson might have been a bit off.. but we can definitely look past that. It seems almost every comic book movie has trouble capturing the character without the costume and for me it didn't take away from the movie at all like it did with Nolan's Batman movies.

If I had to poke one hole it would possibly be the shallow villains, snarky brit and can't act only give me 3 lines please UFC fighter were pretty meh, but it's an opening movie and they were able to weave them into the story line well. And then the cameo by Colossus and Teenage Warhead just trumped any loose ends the villains brought. So, so, so well done. The scene where Colossus first shows up and the brit gets away was one of my favorite. How they left the movie was great as well, looking forward to seeing Cable show up for the next one.

I would put this up there with DOFP and Winter Soldier for my favourite comic book movie to date. It gets extra points for originality and a fresh look at the genre.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #30
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #31
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Even though it was a lower key movie with less budget I'd say it's the best comic book movie around simply because it was actually comical.

All these movies based on comic books made to feel Hollywood glamorized big budget just don't do it for me. I have no care for the super serious save the world stuff especially when it's not comical.

All they need to do is add a few comic book frame shots like the original Hulk and some more animated moments for the next deadpool. Keep Deadpools story 100% intact but push the envelope in terms of being a movie based on a comic book. Have him run around as a cartoon for a little bit if he does drugs or something.

The less serious the better, I don't want to go into a comic book movie for an intense opus, dick jokes and self deprecation suit the genre much better. I'll watch Deadpools again before any other Marvel or Xmen movie that's for sure.

Last edited by AcGold; 02-15-2016 at 11:22 AM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #32
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Love it!
sadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 AM   #33
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I don't think that this could have come out any better. Eased off the fourth wall jokes a bit, maybe? Any flaws I did find were created by budget issues and have been explained. Why they skipped over Killbrew (for now), why Vanessa doesn't shape shift.

I sincerely hope Colossus' gets picked up for future X-Men films. It was a great depiction. His fight with Angel Dust was a genuine highlight. I liked the subtle stuff like NSTW hiding during the fight and just pecking (if you can call her ability that) at enemies when they came to her and it was safe. I like the blood spray coming out of Deadpool as he charged enemies.

I think as the character goes, I am glad they didn't go with Daniel Way Deadpool. He had the right amount of stupid #### with serious ####. He was more than one joke with a repeating punch line. He was a mess from what happened to him, but he still had emotional depth.

As for the concern pre-transformation: Wade Wilson was always a fast talking pain in the ass. So it may have been a bit over the top, it wasn't poor characterization.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:08 AM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

How did Deadpool with the game?

Spoiler!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #35
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ok so I wasn't sure if that line was just something they were doing for every release in every province/state, changing the line to the capital, or if that was legit.

Now that I know it was legit I should have been laughing harder than I was, well played Reynolds well played. The Saskatoon theater crowd was caught off guard but it got a good laugh.. few boos. Does anyone know the origin of that joke? So many people have made that Regina-Vagina connection it is just so old, when the stones came here in 2006 Jagger was up on stage said something about loving the name Regina.. because it rhymes with... fun. Apparently that started a new joke that every comedian that stopped there has since used. I may have gotten that wrong as I try not to pay attention to Edmonton Junior, so someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #36
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The story wasn't that cliched if you think about. The "save the girl" story was the last 20 or so minutes. The entire movie was "he made me ugly and tortured me so now he has to pay".

I think it was refreshing from the "destroy the entire world/universe" storyline most superhero movies go through. They've all been trying to one-up each other on the destruction. This was a nice change.
Yeah Deadpool was primarily a revenge movie. And who doesn't love a good revenge movie?? Well except maybe Old Boy... that movie was messed up. Maybe not in a bad way? But it was messed up lol.

Soundtrack for the movie was awesome as well. Especially this song:

Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #37
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Does anyone know the origin of that joke?
Not sure, but Jay Onrait has used it on TSN.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #38
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I didn't like that weapon-X program wasn't in the movie, the substitute really sucked. It very really low budget and didn't really go into his motivations or powers.

The oxygen deprivation chamber causing his skin to shrivel up made no sense either, they didn't explain that at all. In the comics, it's basically the skin cancer cells getting a healing factor power as well so they keep regrowing that way.

I hated the fact that they didn't explain that Deadpool's zaniness and 4th wall breaking ability is actually a result of the battle of brain cancer and his healing factor constantly changing his brain structure and making him extra-dimensionally aware or just plain crazy. Instead, Wade is just zany from the start.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-17-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #39
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So he has the ability to heal fast like Wolverine, but is he also super agile or something? Did they explain that part? Because the Brit said he got heightened reflexes, so I am guessing Deadpool got the same as they go toe to toe at the end and Deadpool keeps up.

Or did he just end up getting the best of all of it?

Last edited by GreenLantern; 02-17-2016 at 10:21 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #40
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So he has the ability to heal fast like Wolverine, but is he also super agile or something? Did they explain that part? Because the Brit said he got heightened reflexes, so I am guessing Deadpool got the same as they go toe to toe at the end and Deadpool keeps up.

Or did he just end up getting the best of all of it?
He really shouldn't be Spider-Man but there was some exaggerated flipping around in the movie.

The other part about his comic character is that his immortality also comes Lady Death/Thanos but of course the MCU owns Thanos.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: