Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you prefer as a first round opponent?
Colorado 0 0%
Dallas 0 0%
Arizona 2 100.00%
Minnesota 0 0%
Anyone but Vegas 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #101
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

IMO: Arizona is going to lose 5 of the next 6 games. They’re out.

8th goes to winner of the Colorado/Chicago home&home.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #102
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone but Vegas. Some teams are built for playoffs. Darryl’s 8th place King’s come to mind.

A lot of fans had the “if they are below us in the standings why should we be worried” with them too.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #103
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Granted they weren't big names but the Flames were very much depleted during that 04 run. The depth and play of guys like Montador and Commodore was big for the team. Up front Lombo went out in round 2, McCammond and Reinprecht didn't play in the playoffs, it was a large reason why Sutter went after guys like Nillson and Nieminen at the deadline.

Point remains, the Flames aren't known as a playoff juggernaut, still lots to prove. And I'd rather have them gain the experience they lack in round 1 against anybody not named Vegas, which hopefully helps them be more prepared for a heavyweight battle in round 2 (if they win round 1).
Gauthier out after first round too I believe, and Lydman (one of the most underrated Flames ever IMO) didn’t come back until mid-final iirc.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #104
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Gauthier out after first round too I believe, and Lydman (one of the most underrated Flames ever IMO) didn’t come back until mid-final iirc.
I feel like Lydman came back in game 5 and scored our first goal that game? Kind of sad that I can’t really remember
Old 03-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #105
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmichaelk View Post
I want Vegas for the first round because we can beat them we have out scored them badly in our own barn and only lost to them twice in their barn by only 1 goal we will have home ice advantage I don’t see why we can’t take them in 6 or 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We absolutely can take them. They've shown lethal quick strike ability and Fleury seems to have our number (if he's healthy), but aside from that, we've pretty much carried the play against them every game..my concern and desire to avoid them round 1 more revolves around how physical a series it would be. I'd much rather face a limping Sharks team in round 2, than us doing the limping into the next round.

Arizona by a mile, after that it doesn't really concern me with the exception of Vegas.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #106
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
We absolutely can take them. They've shown lethal quick strike ability and Fleury seems to have our number (if he's healthy), but aside from that, we've pretty much carried the play against them every game..my concern and desire to avoid them round 1 more revolves around how physical a series it would be. I'd much rather face a limping Sharks team in round 2, than us doing the limping into the next round.

Arizona by a mile, after that it doesn't really concern me with the exception of Vegas.
Usually, but not the game I attended in Vegas in the fall. The Flames were very much not into that game. Vegas flu I think. Vegas wasn't great either but they didn't need to be.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #107
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think how teams fared against each other in 3-4 games during the regular season is pretty more irrelevant. it's such a small sample size and likely makes little difference in a 7 game season.

A Calgary/Vegas series is likely a toss up. As are most playoff rounds.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #108
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I vote for Wild because they are in the Central time zone (and not as good as the Blues) so I might be able to get to sleep at a decent hour a few times in the playoffs.
Haha yeah, that's definitely the part that sucks about being in the Pacific Division. Can't wait for some 8:30pm start on a Wednesday vs AZ in the playoffs, blech..

Thank jebus I start work at 9am these days at least, after years of 8am.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #109
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The Hawks are 4 pts out of the final playoff spot with a game in hand on Arizona.

Kane is having a better year than Gaudreau. Toews is having a career year scoring wise. Crawford is back playing well.

The Hawks just went 4-0 against Dallas , Arizona, Toronto, Montreal with only Arizona at home.

They’ll be a real threat from the golf course this post-season.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #110
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Arizona. Easy to get cheap tickets to Coyotes games
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #111
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
If Chicago wins their game in hand, and beats Arizona in regulation, they are tied, and the first and second tie-breakers are tied.

That is pretty realistic. Chicago, Colorado and Minnesota are all very much alive, and all have games vs each other and all have a game against Arizona left
Chicago's hopes will be know after their next 4 games. They play Philly at home, then a home and home vs Colorado and then Arizona. In those last 3 games they can really make a move as they can not only pick up points, but ensure the teams they are chasing don't pick up any.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #112
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
There's very little about Colorado that scare me. I think I would have picked them if they were part of this poll. I just can't see them winning 4 out of 7 games against us.
Yeah, I kind of feel Colorado is kind of just a lesser version of us. They don't have or do anything we can't do. This could easily be a sweep like the season series.

Arizona is another team that I just feel has no real advantage over us. Something will have to go terribly wrong to lose to either of those in a seven game series. Goal differential in the season series was 18-6.

Dallas has the goaltending edge and a first line that just owns us, and that makes for a series that could go either way on a few bounces, even if we have the better team overall. We've lost both games agains them too. They make me nervous more than any other team. That said, I feel like we've kind of looked past them in the regular season. That's not going to happen in the playoffs.

If Fleury doesn't steal the series, Vegas has no chance. 8 goals against in four games does not scare me in series length. Stone helps, and playoff experience helps, but the overall gap in team quality is still big. Fleury COULD steal a series though.

I want no part of Minnesota. We'd win, but it'd be a war with guaranteed injuries.

Sharks... Meh. They're my #1 pick to be upset by a lower seed, at least in the West. (The Caps falling in the first round would not surprise one bit either.) I just don't think they have the goaltending or the defense for the playoffs. I could be way off, maybe they tighten up in the playoffs, and they do have a massive edge in experience.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #113
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really keen to the play the Hawks if they get in.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #114
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now I think my order looks like this. But things can still change based on injuries, and what teams go hot/cold.

1. Colorado
2. Minnesota
3. Arizona

4. Chicago
5. St. Louis

6. Vegas

7. Dallas

Last edited by Jiggy_12; 03-20-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: forgot St Louis
Old 03-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #115
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one in the west is overly scary and are all beatable

Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #116
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked Arizona. Although I think all the teams in the west are beatable, playing Arizona in the first likely means we finish first in the conference guaranteeing home ice till the finals which i think will be more important than who we face.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #117
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
No one in the west is overly scary and are all beatable

Obviously you can hold your opinion, but if you aren't feeling unsure of the outcome against SJ, Vegas, STL, WPG, NSH, DAL, I don't know what to say. All good teams that can win a round against anyone IMO.

Maybe I am just misinterpreting "scary", but I'll be plenty anxious going into a series with any of those teams.

That's why I can't wait.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #118
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Obviously you can hold your opinion, but if you aren't feeling unsure of the outcome against SJ, Vegas, STL, WPG, NSH, DAL, I don't know what to say. All good teams that can win a round against anyone IMO.

Maybe I am just misinterpreting "scary", but I'll be plenty anxious going into a series with any of those teams.

That's why I can't wait.

I think he was including Calgary in that group of beatable teams.

Welcome to the parity called the NHL,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 03:29 AM   #119
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Anyone but VGK. I think they will sweep the Flames.
This is the type of post that needs a dislike button
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #120
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Long shot opponents would be Colorado and Chicago. Anaheim, Edmonton and Vancouver are mathematically alive but showing no brain function.
The Canucks have been getting CPR and are now just 4 points back of 8th place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread