Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #121
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
This line of reasoning makes very little sense to me.

Sure, the menu price for a hamburger may be $16, but when you add in the expected tip (let's go with 18% because the server was attentive and accurate with the order--or, more properly, doing their job correctly!), you are effectively already paying $18.88 for the hamburger anyway (or $19, with rounding for those who like only charge whole dollar amounts).

So are you really asking me if I would be prepared to pay $20 for a hamburger that I was effectively already paying about $19 for?

And that the only difference between those two prices is that, in the former, I don't have do this whole "what is the right tip amount so that I don't get judged negatively by the server and can still come back and eat here without worry" thought process at the end of the meal, and in the latter, I can just pay the menu price and eat in peace?

I don't see why anyone wouldn't go with the latter option.
So, 2 points:

1- Don't forget to add tax to that. For your scenario in ON, you are paying $21 (rounded) for a $16 burger. Up that $16 to $20 on the menu and you are paying $23 (rounded). Just a couple of bucks, but that leads to......

2- Perception of cost. Why charge $15.99? Why not just say $16. What's one cent? Perception is everything. If one establishment suddenly increased prices by a lot I suspect many people would not go there. $4 is a 25% increase in our scenario. Who's not crossing the street for something less.

I don't think anybody sees it as "I was already paying $20 when I included a tip, why wouldn't I just pay $20 straight up". They see the burger they paid $16 for last week now going for $20.

Again, I am advocating tipping. I think it is a vile practice that brings out the worst in people.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #122
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Stupid question, but does the province have the power to ban businesses from accepting tips?
In ON there are laws on whether or not an Employer can withhold tips or participate in tip pools.

I don't think government can ban the practice. I can't think of an effective way to police a tip ban.

Last edited by Bleeding Red; 03-20-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #123
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Who cares? Why is that the customer's problem? We collectively need to stop tipping pretty much ever. Right now it is just a guilt thing. Our culture needs to change.
I care,

I’m not comfortable in having a server pay to serve me regardless of who’s fault that is.

Have you quit tipping yet?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #124
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I don't think anybody sees it as "I was already paying $20 when I included a tip, why wouldn't I just pay $20 straight up".
Except that I, in my post, basically said that this is exactly how I see it.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #125
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I care,

I’m not comfortable in having a server pay to serve me regardless of who’s fault that is.

Have you quit tipping yet?
I'm not comfortable with a server having to pay to serve me either so I blanket tip 15% every time as a standard service charge since that's basically what it is now. But I think the larger point that encompasses this entire issue is that it shouldn't be my responsibility as a consumer to familiarize myself with how someone gets paid. Someone had a good example in this thread of pointing out that some states have different min wage laws or tip out procedures but I shouldn't have to research the exact minimum wage state by state or tip out % restaurant to restaurant, that's not my problem. It's basically only restaurants that do this too, it's not my responsibility to know what the person giving me my shoes at the bowling alley, food at McDonalds, or laundry at the dry cleaners makes or what their costs are to employers. There's a minimum wage for a reason, everyone makes at least that and then beyond that since we live in a free society where employees and employers can come to agreement on wages anyone working is there on their own free will.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote