Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

the heat visit both peoria and rockford this winter but I wont be around.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
QCFlames2007
Draft Pick

I too will keep following Calgary and the Heat. If the Mallards don't have a home game on the day they are near by, it would be nice to go see some of our players. I'm sure going to miss them and the AHL.
QCFlames2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #23
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell, as of now they dont have a coach or a single player signed.

THe owner is going thru a lawsuit from his other company taking funds from them to start a hockey team...

Oh well. Looks like I will be getting centre ice this winter while sitting in alabama with a average low of *50f
Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

well they just announced an affiliation with the flyers...

Quote:
The affiliation agreement allows the Flyers to assign a limited number of players to the Mallards’ roster at any time during the 2009-10 season.
http://www.myqcmallards.com/newsandi...?article_id=29
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #25
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

in what i found kinda funny/ironic, the mallards finally announced some players today... among them is a veteran minor league player named Chris Lispett. He did play 2 seasons in the AHL with the Kentucky Thoroughblades... The goalie for his 2 years there? None other than Miikka Kiprusoff! Small world eh?

(no word yet on how to get Kevin Bacon into the scenario!)
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #26
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so glad that isn't my source of hockey anymore. NHL here I come....

I cant wait until the flames go to nashville.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #27
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
in what i found kinda funny/ironic, the mallards finally announced some players today... among them is a veteran minor league player named Chris Lispett. He did play 2 seasons in the AHL with the Kentucky Thoroughblades... The goalie for his 2 years there? None other than Miikka Kiprusoff! Small world eh?

(no word yet on how to get Kevin Bacon into the scenario!)
Kevin Bacon was in "My Dog Skip" with Clint Howard.

Clint Howard was in "Forget Paris" with Marty McSorley

It gets pretty easy from there......
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #28
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Put this in your Fraser Valley and smoke it...

Opening night attendance for the QC Mallards. (Crappier hockey, similar prices, treating fans like people instead of "unsophisticated" hockey watchers.)

Attendence-wise, similar to the QC Flames inaugural game here, although that one looked better with our "river of red." The hockey was somewhat better back then too...
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
treating fans like people instead of "unsophisticated" hockey watchers.)
what do you mean? how did the Flames treat the QC fans and how do the mallards do it differently?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #30
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From the Abbotsford Heat website
Quote:
“We’re extremely excited to be calling Abbotsford our new home,” said Calgary Flames President Ken King. “Playing in a Canadian market in front of sophisticated hockey fans that understand the game, only one hour by air from Calgary, will most certainly enhance our player development program.”
This kind of attitude was present through the Flames stay here.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #31
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From the Abbotsford Heat website
This kind of attitude was present through the Flames stay here.

Where does it say specifically that QC fans aren't sophisticated? Me thinks that you and I interpret the quote differently.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #32
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

for what its worth, even though there was a better announced number tonight, i felt the flames first game had more folks.

and though i do think calgary did us no favors in their public comments over the 2nd year, i have found that the whole 'treating the fans like people' stuff is crap. over the past 3 months as the team came together we saw many of the same problems and ideas that the last ownership/staff group had. to me the only thing that changed was the mindset of the general public. oh, and we got our stupid name back.

i was pretty angry as i got there and saw so many people. i wondered to myself where all these people were the last 2 years. IMO, QC fans just want to see martial arts on ice. its not about the hockey, but about the fighting. though it seems the ihl might not be the answer to that problem either. will be interesting to see how things develop.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #33
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Where does it say specifically that QC fans aren't sophisticated? Me thinks that you and I interpret the quote differently.
When he said that it will enhance player development, that implied a change from the past. He was talking about changes. Changing to Canada, changing proximity to Calgary and "changing" to sophisticated fans. There's a sense among some, including Dobbles, that we only want to see fights, which I think is false. I think we do want a winning team though, so I guess you could say we weren't sophisticated enough to accept being a purely developmental team. There wasn't a single fight at tonight's game. That said, I missed the accurate passing and awareness of the puck that we saw in the AHL. And I'm only a casual hockey fan.

I really feel the Flames failed for lack of winning, and lack of marketing, and the tone that we got out of Calgary just played into that.

I guess I just think that if the Flames' AHL team fails in another city, and the Quad Cities' new team succeeds despite being a lesser product at similar cost, it should be clear that the QC Flames' failure wasn't entirely the QC's fault.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When he said that it will enhance player development, that implied a change from the past. He was talking about changes. Changing to Canada, changing proximity to Calgary and "changing" to sophisticated fans. There's a sense among some, including Dobbles, that we only want to see fights, which I think is false. I think we do want a winning team though, so I guess you could say we weren't sophisticated enough to accept being a purely developmental team. There wasn't a single fight at tonight's game. That said, I missed the accurate passing and awareness of the puck that we saw in the AHL. And I'm only a casual hockey fan.

I really feel the Flames failed for lack of winning, and lack of marketing, and the tone that we got out of Calgary just played into that.

I guess I just think that if the Flames' AHL team fails in another city, and the Quad Cities' new team succeeds despite being a lesser product at similar cost, it should be clear that the QC Flames' failure wasn't entirely the QC's fault.
"Enhancing player development" to me has more to due to ability of lesser travel issues logistically. I really don't think fan support has anything to do with player development in reality. Could the Flames have done more in QC? Perhaps, but the Flames partner with local groups to do that 'for them'. I may be bias (okay, I probably am) being a fan of the parent club, but I think the Flames main concern with their farm team is player development, not winning the Calder Cup. I can understand though how this would be frustrating as a fan of a AHL club. But such is the nature of the beast.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #35
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
"Enhancing player development" to me has more to due to ability of lesser travel issues logistically. I really don't think fan support has anything to do with player development in reality. Could the Flames have done more in QC? Perhaps, but the Flames partner with local groups to do that 'for them'. I may be bias (okay, I probably am) being a fan of the parent club, but I think the Flames main concern with their farm team is player development, not winning the Calder Cup. I can understand though how this would be frustrating as a fan of a AHL club. But such is the nature of the beast.
though i don't blame calgary for qc failing, i think they could have done better. first off, keeping their mouth shut about abbottsford would have been nice. it killed any chance of the team making it past last year when it became pretty obvious they wanted to go to abbottsford. it is very hard to get fans to come to the game when they know the team is going to fold.

additionally there were many times when sutter/king told the qc media that they didn't care of we won or lost. and while that is true of most all ahl teams, why constantly remind us of that? there was one example early last year where qc had lost like 8 out of 10 games and were honestly playing brutal hockey. sutter rolled into town and watched a game and told the media that he was really happy with what he saw and thought we were playing well. that was pretty stupid to say considering the team had been packing it in for 2 weeks before that. (though i will say, the players always knew when sutter was in town. it was like watching an entirely different team play when he was there)

and though calgary didn't owe it to us, they could have been more open to bringing in some veteran players for us. heck, i think sutter said it about backlund going to the whl last year; that it was good to see him go play on a winning team. so there is at least some value for the prospects. not to mention, it can't be fun for the prospects moving every 2 years. i know that you guys don't seem to care, but i think it reflects poorly on an organization when your ahl team has to keep moving.

like i have said many times, the reason the team failed was no one around here appreciates quality hockey, and that caused the local ownership to run out of money. it very well may have happened no matter what calgary did. but IMO, they managed the situation pretty poorly.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #36
QCHockeyFan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

There was a QC Mallards game Saturday? Didn't anyone tell them the Iowa Hawkeyes were playing?
QCHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #37
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCHockeyFan View Post
There was a QC Mallards game Saturday? Didn't anyone tell them the Iowa Hawkeyes were playing?
Dont worry qc attendance will be back to sub 3k a night after this game.

I already heard from a couple of hard core fans that it was horrible (other than dobbles) and that people were already bitching about the IHL and missing the Flames and quality hockey.

Sorry I'm no longer a qc hockey fan anymore and I think they are going to tank just like the last two years and years before they had decent crowds on opening night and they won those games (were as the mallards had it handed to them)

I just wanna bet that attendance will be below 3k for the next games.

Who do they play next week? I guess it cant be hard to guess when there are only 6 other teams in the whole league.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #38
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post

and though calgary didn't owe it to us, they could have been more open to bringing in some veteran players for us. heck, i think sutter said it about backlund going to the whl last year; that it was good to see him go play on a winning team. so there is at least some value for the prospects. not to mention, it can't be fun for the prospects moving every 2 years. i know that you guys don't seem to care, but i think it reflects poorly on an organization when your ahl team has to keep moving.
Well considering they signed a decade long agreement with the dudes in Abbotsford and its in a Canadian Market, I think they're stuck. Even if it doesn't take off like gangbusters.

I feel like I need to tread carefully. I don't want it to seem like I'm pissing on the QC fans, or the Omaha fans for that matter. I know you guys are/were as hardcore about your teams as I am about mine. Just as long as the Flames have their own farm team, I really don't care if its in QC, Abbotsford or the Moon.

However I realize if I was a hockey fan in those markets where the Flames 'failed' you I'd probably be as bitter and would post pictures of the awesome attendance at the Mallards game too. I just think that calling out Ken King for that comment is like Pat Quinn calling Jarome Iginla dirty. It may not be totally baseless, but when objectively (which I couldn't be perhaps) looked at it isn't as derogatory as ones chosen lens might suggest.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #39
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well considering they signed a decade long agreement with the dudes in Abbotsford and its in a Canadian Market, I think they're stuck. Even if it doesn't take off like gangbusters.

I feel like I need to tread carefully. I don't want it to seem like I'm pissing on the QC fans, or the Omaha fans for that matter. I know you guys are/were as hardcore about your teams as I am about mine. Just as long as the Flames have their own farm team, I really don't care if its in QC, Abbotsford or the Moon.

However I realize if I was a hockey fan in those markets where the Flames 'failed' you I'd probably be as bitter and would post pictures of the awesome attendance at the Mallards game too. I just think that calling out Ken King for that comment is like Pat Quinn calling Jarome Iginla dirty. It may not be totally baseless, but when objectively (which I couldn't be perhaps) looked at it isn't as derogatory as ones chosen lens might suggest.
ten year deal doesn't mean squat. They signed a 5 year deal with QC.

You're not going to piss me off. Dobbles is upset because hes stuck with nothin but the IHL I have nothing at all.

I could care less about the mallards or the baby flames. I just wanna see the big boys win the cup.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #40
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:

no worries from my end. i spend all my time defending myself as not a red wings troll or as a hateful qc troll.

i think most anyone who is still around here is able to look at things objectively. some people feel calgary was more or less at fault than others, but thats just the realm of a message board.