Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #61
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Like I said earlier in this thread, that comparison is horrible. It would only work if you more than doubled Calgary's population and then more than doubled its area. The BC lower mainland is not directly comparable to Calgary.

Is everyone who lives in the Fraser Valley a die-hard Canucks fan?

yeah I guess since I'm moving to Alabama I want to see the Abbotsfor anythingbutflames fail. Right keep up that idea! I dont want to see them fail I just feel bad for the guys because they are going to have to hide the fact they are FLAMES PROSPECTS. They will have to travel a day if not more to go to alot of markets. I am more pissed off with the abbotsturd media running off the mouth about the team moving way too early.

I know they will not be back next year either will I but do I wish Abbotturd or what ever you want to call the team lower mainland or anything but Flames to fail your wrong. I dont want to see anyone fail.

But I guess we are just americans that just dont understand hockey just like your canadian that doesnt understand football or baseball Or nascar beacause those are all American spots but hey you always have curling to fall back on!

Last edited by PIMking; 03-22-2009 at 10:02 AM.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #62
PYroMaNiaC
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^^and lacrosse.

Last edited by PYroMaNiaC; 03-22-2009 at 11:05 AM.
PYroMaNiaC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PYroMaNiaC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #63
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I, for one, have never tried to analyze the finances or attendance potential of the Abbotsford move. I just think its a long way away. Even if they sell 10,000 tickets to every game, which for all I know they might, why does that make Rockford want to send their players traveling that far?
You are correct, most every team will be self-serving.
What does a team in Abbotsford do for my franchise?

Does it provide growth opportunities for the league or increase franchise values?

Does it open a new market and provide expansion potential?

Is the west coast a relocation option for struggling franchises, with Abbotsford doing all the heavy lifting to get this market open?

Does it save teams even a little money by not having to pay for travel for X number of road games in Abbotsford?

Does this prep. players a little more for the NHL? Travel is obviously a big part of playing in the big leagues. Having players adapt to the pros is part of their development, and perhaps long travel/time zone changes, and playing jet lagged goes with the territory.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #64
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fan960 interview with Lane Sweeting, the man organizing the Abbotsford franchise

After 3 days, they had fans express interst for 3000 season tickets; he expects 5000-6000 season ticketholders

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...20_000949_7772

Last edited by Canada 02; 03-24-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #65
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
You are correct, most every team will be self-serving.
What does a team in Abbotsford do for my franchise?

Does it provide growth opportunities for the league or increase franchise values?

Does it open a new market and provide expansion potential?

Is the west coast a relocation option for struggling franchises, with Abbotsford doing all the heavy lifting to get this market open?

Does it save teams even a little money by not having to pay for travel for X number of road games in Abbotsford?

Does this prep. players a little more for the NHL? Travel is obviously a big part of playing in the big leagues. Having players adapt to the pros is part of their development, and perhaps long travel/time zone changes, and playing jet lagged goes with the territory.
i bolded a couple i did want to comment on. first the west coast expansion.

i find it hard to think that many of the current teams could give a crap about west coast expansion. assuming the ahl wants to keep its cluster of midwest teams, it means they are picking teams off from the east coast. sure there are a few weak teams that might go, but every team that leaves means the easts travel costs go up. the teams in the eastern conference are tremendously spoiled as they can take hour bus rides to many games. with less teams in the east, they will have to re-align the divisions and i am sure that would mean more northern division teams joining the other conference. that would start upping the remaining teams travel costs. i think its probably an instance of not wanting to mess up what they have now.

regarding the travel - i would argue most western division teams probably have a worse travel schedule than the nhl. the ahl relies a lot on weekend games, so often times teams play 3 days in a row. thats something you don't see in the nhl at all. additionally, when teams are in texas, they often have to fly the morning of the game and take a bus to the destination city. they often arrive at the arena only a few hours before the game. most of the time in the nhl, teams arrive the day before and have a day to rest. sure there are a lot of home and home series where teams play, travel, and play the next day, but those seem to only be in cases where the travel is minimal and can be done the night before after the game is over. additionally, the ahl does use buses a lot more which is a much slower and exhausting way to travel compared to nhl teams that can charter planes.

i would like to point out that neither of these things could necessarily block westward expansion or the abbottsford move, but just wanted to offer some rebuttal to those points.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote