Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Friedman's 31 thoughts - May 11

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...bas-promotion/

Nothing really Flames related but this caught my eye:

Quote:
13. After seven years of working with Sergei Bobrovsky, helping turn a raw talent into one of the best in the NHL, Ian Clark will leave the Columbus Blue Jackets when his contract expires at the end of June. “This is not a negative story,” he said this week. “I’m ready to move on, take on some new challenges. It’s time. Sometimes change is good.”

In the meantime, he will help the organization put together its scouting list for the draft. “There is going to be evolution. There are so many aspects to such a unique position. Sooner or later, teams will have a director of player personnel and a director of goaltending. They are kind of doing it now, but will make it more formal.” Washington did something similar last summer with longtime goalie guru Mitch Korn, and Clark has spoken to him about that.
perhaps an opportunity to upgrade on Sigalet?

Also a GG update:

Quote:
12. Glen Gulutzan was mulling over assistant coaching offers from Buffalo and Edmonton last weekend. There were teams who wanted him to run their AHL clubs, but I’m not sure that’s his choice. Think there are also a couple of teams with interest in WHL Swift Current’s Manny Viveiros, also as an assistant. The Broncos lead Everett 3-1 in the league championship. And, after watching several AHL Hershey graduates perform so well for Washington in its victory over Pittsburgh, you have to think Troy Mann ends up on his feet, too. Mann led the Bears bench the last four seasons, but his contract was not renewed.
Manny Viverios a potential Flames AC candidate?

Statistical warning signs on drafting goalies:

Quote:
17. One NHL executive said his team has done a lot of analytic work on drafting goaltenders. They’ve been warned that the probability of success for goalies from the CHL significantly drops if their save percentage in juniors is below .910. (Some adjustments are made for the QMJHL.) Two outliers? Braden Holtby (.908 when drafted from WHL Saskatoon) and Matt Murray (.876 when selected from OHL Sault Ste. Marie).

Lots more on the Dubas, Brindmour, Montgomery hirings and a few tidbits on the Kings.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Oh and Friedman also says the Oilers kicked tires on Kovalchuk, but it isn't happening.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Oh and Friedman also says the Oilers kicked tires on Kovalchuk, but it isn't happening.

Chia - "Hey Kovy we'd love to have you sign in Edmonton and play with Connor"

Kovy - "Piss off"

Chia "we tried"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Always a Bridesmaid, never a bride.

I think they could probably sign Heatley now though....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I look forward to them raising a banner for that phone call.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I look forward to them raising a banner for that phone call.
"Phoned Kovalchuk that one time....it was awkward...."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

"Phoned Kovalchuk('s Agent) 2018"
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think the CHL is an ideal place for goalie development. Goalies need to face harder shots and faster releases at a younger age and the CHL just doesn't provide that.

Look at the European model. These young goalies end up playing against men at a much younger age. Finland has been a goalie development machine for years now with this model.

And with news that the CHL may be reversing it's European goalie import ban this will only spell more bad news for Canadian goalies. Goaltending development isn't necessarily about competition between goalies as much as it's about the quality of opposition an individual goalie faces.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. Kovy wants to leave Russia. If Edmonton wants him they should make an offer when he starts to get homesick
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Carolina definitely throwing mud at Peters. Hope its a bit of salt, and not so true.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
Carolina definitely throwing mud at Peters. Hope its a bit of salt, and not so true.
What’s this about?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Oh I see

Quote:
8. Brind’Amour said he spent some time with Dundon, showing the owner what the new coach likes about the way certain teams play. (He declined to name those clubs.) In both the media conference and our phone conversation, he said he and predecessor Bill Peters were total opposites, “but we were coached extremely well. That’s why Bill could leave one day, and get a job the next. The way we will be better is by getting a lot of guys to play up to their potential. Elias Lindholm, for example, can score more than 15 goals.”

Several times in our conversation, he discussed higher expectations. In 2006, we did a piece on the eventual Stanley Cup champion Hurricanes, and Brind’Amour — who finished 10th in Hart Trophy voting that year — enjoyed a bigger role, adding he was disappointed it didn’t happen earlier in his career. Asked if there was someone on the current roster who could be the 2018-19 version, he offered high praise for Jordan Staal, who scored 19 times. “In my opinion, he can be Patrice Bergeron. We know he can defend, but there is more offence to him.”

Another fix? Told the Hurricanes had a reputation for not being hard to play against, Brind’Amour agreed. “Some nights, it was painful.”

9. Asked if there was anything he’d borrow from one of his previous coaches, Brind’Amour said he went back through his pro career, including international competition — and counted 17 of them. He thought for a bit, then said, “Peter Laviolette. That’s the mould. He got the most out of us and it was pretty simple how he did it.” OK, how? “Make sure everybody feels important. Make sure everyone’s role feels equally important.” Brind’Amour paused. “That’s a team.”
Oh, farts.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it’s not as if Flames are hiring Peters because of the results in Carolina. Whether it’s gaoltending, players not good enough or whatever, it’s not like there was much success to point so I guess let them say what they want.

The old “hard to play against” is a bit of a cliche maybe. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a hallmark of a great coach. Would you say that about Babcock, Quenneville or Vigneault teams? Were the Penguins hard to play against?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:11 AM   #14
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well it’s not as if Flames are hiring Peters because of the results in Carolina. Whether it’s gaoltending, players not good enough or whatever, it’s not like there was much success to point so I guess let them say what they want.

The old “hard to play against” is a bit of a cliche maybe. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a hallmark of a great coach. Would you say that about Babcock, Quenneville or Vigneault teams? Were the Penguins hard to play against?

I’m not sure what kind of reassurance to take from “well they are not hiring him due to demonstrated success”
‘Hard to play against’ is within a coach’s sphere of influence
‘Getting the most out of player x’ is as well

Aren’t the Penguins hard to play against? Isn’t that cliche a cliche for loser teams? Yeah you beat them, did you have to work for it?

This 31 thoughts had some disappointing perspective on Peters
Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #15
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

To imagine being a scouting agent and drafting goalies would be like terrible. It gives me nightmares.

There is real no indicator. I think you are looking not at the stats, but calmness, tenacity, fight in the crease, a couple other things like height, stick movement puck awareness.... the list goes on. But how do you draft a good goaltender?

Then mix that in with a crappy defence or an underperforming team. Then use Malcolm's tipping point was he born in the right month? Take outliers like Gio or Matt Murray. Take MAF' he always seemed to be riding the offensive prowess of the Pens.

Would honestly be a good article for Kelly Hrudey to write. Everyone is talking about every moving piece on the team and the goaltender is basically the King on the chess board.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I’m not sure what kind of reassurance to take from “well they are not hiring him due to demonstrated success”

Aren’t the Penguins hard to play against? Isn’t that cliche a cliche for loser teams? Yeah you beat them, did you have to work for it?

Let’s not overreact to a couple comments from one player
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #17
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why not? Overreacting is our second national sport. The hard to play against cliché is just a nicety from winners to losers in this age of sensitivity.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #18
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Agree that "hard to play against" is a cliche fro loser teams. Carolina's record under Peters is a fact so I wouldn't expect any new coach to come in and say everything is peachy.

So for me , these comments don't change a thing about Peters. I am in the "prove it to me in the standings" camp, but at least somewhat hopeful because some hockey people seem to think highly of him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ll know how good a hire Peters is this time next year. If he can’t do more with this team than Gulutzan, Treliving is looking for a new job, plain and simple. Treliving had one more swing to knock it out of the park, and he made contact. Now we have to watch to see if it gets out of the yard, or if a fielder is circling underneath it.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Let’s not overreact to a couple comments from one player
Saying a comment which looks to be of concern is disappointing seems well within the sphere of reaction, not overreaction
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: