Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #12801
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
First of all, claiming what a GM is looking for based on the multiple views on a fan message board couldn't be anymore disingenuous.

2nd, if the fact some people here tend to over-value their own players seems crazy to you... why are you here? You had a pretty epic meltdown the night the Leafs were eliminated and let it slip you dislike the Flames, their fans, and generally everyone who posts here. So why do you come here? All of your backhanded comments about this board could be said tenfold about the absolute extremes Leaf fans take those very annoyances to.
Haha epic meltdown. Ok. People were talking trash about the Leafs and I came back and talked some trash about the Flames in context to what they were saying about the Leafs.

Have you ever had friends who cheered for teams you didn't like? It's part of the fun of sports.

I don't remember making a backhanded comment about the board. Why am I here? Because I like hockey and this is a good hockey website and I have nothing better to do at the moment. I'm disagreeing with Coffee about Brodie's value. Oh, the humanity! Don't get so butthurt and sensitive over nothing.

And Coffee's response I thought was very good and I see where he is coming from..he made a good point. End of story.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:39 AM   #12802
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Serious question - would you trade Brodie for Valimaki?
Brodie should be able to fetch a late 1st round, considering his age, speed, potential offensive upside (poor utilization under Gulutzan, much better under other coaches) and contract. Considering where the Flames are in their development curve, I wouldn't trade Valimaki for anything less than a top 3 pick; any return for him would have to be a lock to make an immediate and significant impact on the club.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:08 AM   #12803
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames were one Dallas win away from getting a first for a couple months of Kris Russell...please don't give away our top four Dmen.

And the Flames aren't making any deals that make them worse next season...so forget this notion that they are desperate for a 1st. Tre probably likes being an NHL GM, he will not make the team worse for next season in exchange for help that MIGHT come in a few years time.
Russell is a poor example. The trade for defenseman was bare and overpriced at the time. We sold Russell at the perfect time.

I highly doubt Brodie gets traded because of how many decent UFA defenseman there is. If Brodie is dealt, it’s after July 1st.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #12804
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Reports from Mark Madden suggesting that penguins are looking to trade Kessel, who's already said he's ok with being traded. I think the story said he carries a 6.8m cap hit for 4 years. Holy career numbers batman, 92 points this regular season. Looks like they're cashing in while his value is high.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 05-25-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #12805
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be all over getting Kessel on the Flames. I don't care how fat he is, the guy is a character and has a sense of humour and can put the puck in the net. I still think he's good and he might be the best RW option out there unless Treliving finds a team willing to give up a good young RW. At this point, if Tavares isn't available there aren't many other options
Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #12806
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Imagine the promo opportunities with Pocket Dawgs! Make it happen Tre
Old 05-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #12807
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I would be all over getting Kessel on the Flames. I don't care how fat he is, the guy is a character and has a sense of humour and can put the puck in the net. I still think he's good and he might be the best RW option out there unless Treliving finds a team willing to give up a good young RW. At this point, if Tavares isn't available there aren't many other options
Not sure a Canadian market is a good place for Kessel, he is far better off playing in a market where the focus is not on him.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #12808
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's about being in a Canadian Market, it's about being "the guy" which he wouldn't be in Calgary. In Toronto Kessel was the start player...pretty much the only star player so all the pressure of the team was put on him. When he went to the pens, Kessel became a support player and flourished. You could argue that Kessel is still a start player but he joined a team that already had stars and it would be the same with the Flames.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #12809
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Kessel is an American who played in Canada...and it did not go well.

Calgary isn't Toronto, but he still isn't coming to Calgary.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #12810
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman saying that teams are weary that when Kessel declines his fall will be hard because he's never taken care of himself physically. I would expect a lot of teams even if they have a need will pass. Penguins obviously know what they have and are trying to trade him while he's tradeable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #12811
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Haha epic meltdown. Ok. People were talking trash about the Leafs and I came back and talked some trash about the Flames in context to what they were saying about the Leafs.
When you come to a Flames message board, how can you be surprised that people are talking trash about other teams?

Would you stand up in the middle of the Saddledome and scream "Calgary sucks"?

Because that's what you did.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #12812
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Friedman saying that teams are weary that when Kessel declines his fall will be hard because he's never taken care of himself physically. I would expect a lot of teams even if they have a need will pass. Penguins obviously know what they have and are trying to trade him while he's tradeable.
It will be like Heatley’s fall. That was overnight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #12813
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we go for Kessel Brouwer needs to be going the other way and the Pens would have to take ‘a loss’ on the trade to get out from the remainder of that contract. His 92 points this year is the peak no doubt and Phil is going to start his decline but should still be productive though 8 mill par for the next 4 is rich.

To Pitt
Brouwer
Brodie
Klimchuk

To Flames
Kessel

Then I’d like to see Atkinson targeted as well - Bennett + D prospect +

Gaudreau - Monahan - Atkinson
Tkachuk - Backlund - Kessel
Ferland - Jankowski - Frolik

That is a solid top 9, still weary about Kessel but he does have 5 straight 82 game seasons and should be good for 60 to 75 points for the duration.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #12814
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol no way are we getting Kessel for a trade with Brouwer in it. That is too much homerism and I'm a huge homer.

Kessel would cost us but I would do it. All he's ever done is proven people wrong. I think he would be fantastic here. Gaudreau-Monahan-Kessel could be one of the best lines in the league.

Brodie+Bennett.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #12815
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

eewww....Kessel?! You'd give up assets for him?! Jeezus guys, seriously...
Old 05-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #12816
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kessel is just more of the same of what this team has - one dimensional players. They need more guys that can play two way hockey.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #12817
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Kessel is just more of the same of what this team has - one dimensional players. They need more guys that can play two way hockey.
I agree, however he's a one dimensional player of the kind we don't have that being "Pure Sniper" who also is a RW/RHS.

I wouldn't give up the farm for him but I think he'd be a fit in Calgary on the top 2 lines with significant PP time. Contract length would be the big factor here as he's approaching the wrong side of 30.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #12818
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Well he is that one dimension on RW that the organization sorely lacks. My issue isn't even the contract and that the Penguins are probably going expect a large return. Rutherford seems to expect a lot in return for his players (1st round pick for MAF for example) and I see this more of a team trying to cash in rather than salary dump. I would consider adding him on a trade where the Flames aren't giving away a lot of assets but to give up a lot of assets and assume the risk of that contract is just too rich for me.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #12819
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phil Kessel is not like Heatley.

Heatley was slow but could overcome that deficiency while he was in his prime. Kessel can skate really well.

lol, some things never change. Last time Kessel was rumored to be on the market the nervous nellys were scared to trade for him then too.

That being said, I wouldn't give up a bunch of prime assets for him, but he would make this team better there is no question about it.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #12820
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Three of the four teams in the conference finals had a booming right shot on their powerplay. Special teams is key to playoff success, and one of our glaring weaknesses is powerplay.

If Kessell is available you try to make it work.
Closed Thread