Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #21
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

If Tavares is unhappy with Snow's tenure as a GM, wouldn't he be likely to see this as too little, too late?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #22
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm surprised Flames fans are disappointed. This is good news if it keeps Tavares out east as him playing in Calgary is fantasy land. Has to be close to the end for Snow. A GM has to have more in his resume than just being good at fleecing the Alberta teams on trades.
I honestly do not see how a dinosaur like Lou is convincing Tavares to stay?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I honestly do not see how a dinosaur like Lou is convincing Tavares to stay?
They have the option of the 8th year in their back pocket and really I'm not sure that he wants to leave that market as I suspect he is going to stay with the Isles or sign with the Rangers. Lou may be long on the tooth but he's still one of the best hockey men around. I see this similar to the Stamkos situation in that a player wants to stay but takes it down to the wire.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #24
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I love laughing at HF so I read this and went to check it out. 155 replies in the thread there on the topic, not a single one that says even close to what you claimed, only a single post that said (sarcastically) maybe Tavares met with Lou about the Leafs. So apparently you can make that level of stupidity up lol
Actually there was, some mod deleted a bunch of posts because they are not there now.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

official. Looks like Snow stays with the Islanders and reports to Lamoriello for now

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/l...ns/c-298735484

Quote:
The New York Islanders announced today the hiring of Lou Lamoriello as President of Hockey Operations. He will have full authority over all hockey matters with the organization.

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-22-2018 at 08:11 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #26
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome! Pretty sure we can count on Snow to screw up the Tavares situation somehow.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #27
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have the option of the 8th year in their back pocket and really I'm not sure that he wants to leave that market as I suspect he is going to stay with the Isles or sign with the Rangers. Lou may be long on the tooth but he's still one of the best hockey men around. I see this similar to the Stamkos situation in that a player wants to stay but takes it down to the wire.
I think the Devils are a better bet than the Rangers if Tavares wants to stay in the market. I can’t see him going full turncoat and leaving for the hated Rangers. The Devils have a ton of cap space, an elite winger for him to play with, and a GM who has won more trades than lost since coming to NJ.

You could be right about him staying but I get the feeling he is going to leave. One thing I could see though is the first ever sign and trade. Tavares signs an 8 year deal, and is traded for assets. Likely getting the new team a slightly better cap hit and not leaving the Islanders with nothing
Old 05-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #28
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So they keep Snow around to avoid paying him out but ultimately he can't so much as sneeze without Lou authorizing it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So they keep Snow around to avoid paying him out but ultimately he can't so much as sneeze without Lou authorizing it.
Lou is probably going to do a thorough review of the organization and go from there. If he and Hunter had a good relationship it may be something to watch after free agency.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #30
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Lou is probably going to do a thorough review of the organization and go from there. If he and Hunter had a good relationship it may be something to watch after free agency.
Probably bang on. Hunter takes the GM role, unless Lou thinks his kid should do it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
This looks like Burke's entry into the Flames org. in 2013. Within three months GM Jay Feaster was out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #32
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing keeping Snow around at this point is him fleecing the Oilers a couple times
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #33
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember hearing on the radio that Snow has some kind of crazy Dipietro type contract with the Islanders with a 12 year term. Charles Wang loved Garth and he apparently won the new owners over as well. Must be a good people person as his track record is brutal.

Snow would be primed to be re-assigned like Mac-T or Lowe before he is full on fired imo.

Last edited by Vinny01; 05-22-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #34
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Amazing Snow made it that long.

9 playoff misses
3 1st round exits
1 2nd round exit

Reads like the Flames rate of success, and we've had 3 different GM's since Snow took over in NY
And yet Snow still found a way to fleece Treliving.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #35
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #36
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Let’s see where those picks end up before we declare that. By that I mean the prospects or assets those picks turn into.

If the Bruins chose Barzal, Connor, or Boeser instead of Senshyn do you think they would hate the Hamilton trade like they did then and do now?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Let’s see where those picks end up before we declare that. By that I mean the prospects or assets those picks turn into.

If the Bruins chose Barzal, Connor, or Boeser instead of Senshyn do you think they would hate the Hamilton trade like they did then and do now?
I don't know if it matters who the Islanders pick because we don't know if the Flames would pick the same player in that spot. I recall Flames fans always linking Brandon Gormley to the Jokinen trade and in hindsight it looks like the Flames won the deal but maybe the Flames pick Jaden Schwartz or Vladimir Tarasenko (Blues really nailed those picks btw) instead. All of a sudden that trade doesn't look so hot.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #38
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if it matters who the Islanders pick because we don't know if the Flames would pick the same player in that spot. I recall Flames fans always linking Brandon Gormley to the Jokinen trade and in hindsight it looks like the Flames won the deal but maybe the Flames pick Jaden Schwartz or Vladimir Tarasenko (Blues really nailed those picks btw) instead. All of a sudden that trade doesn't look so hot.
That’s true but we mock the Oilers for trading Barzal for Reinhart when all they traded was the pick the Islanders used to take Barzal.

One thing Lou has been successful with and has a proven track record is getting a goalie. He had Broduer and knew his time was running short so pounced on Schneider. In Toronto he acquired Andersen who has been the backbone of thst team.

If he can acquire that piece for Tavares then perhaps he can convince him to stay?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #39
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That is exactly what will happen, not that I think Tavares was leaving anyhow.
Tavares is still most likely to at least go to the courting week before signing. There is virtually no risk in listening to other teams pitches at this point. He may still re-sign with the Isles, but Lou coming in now isn't likely to make it happen before the draft.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #40
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Tavares is still most likely to at least go to the courting week before signing. There is virtually no risk in listening to other teams pitches at this point. He may still re-sign with the Isles, but Lou coming in now isn't likely to make it happen before the draft.
The exact same thing was said about Stamkos and it didn't happen. This is just both sides holding out until the last moment to get the deal they want but I am pretty confident JT will not see UFA.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote