Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Hutton and Rinne ..... Together Again!

While Carter belonged to the Flyers organization and played for the SJ & Chicago farm systems, his start was in Music City. He had three memorable seasons in the country music capital and had a great teacher: Pekka Rinne. Even after the two have parted, the superstar Finnish netminder has had a wonderful friendship with the native of Thunder Bay, Ontario.

And as the CPHL Predators struggled to find consistent netminding this past season, finding a capable tandem became a necessity for this coming season.

The official trade has Kevin Hayes, Kylington and a 2018 third round pick being sent to Philadelphia for Pekka Rinne, Matt Brassard, Jared Moe and Jayden Halbgewachs.

It is rumored that this deal took on many forms but the structure of the deal always had Rinne heading to Nashville. Along with the acquisitions of Corey Perry and Jakub Voracek, the Predators are hoping to make a push to reach the playoffs.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mathalete For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This trade sucked. Not the process. Mathlete was a super awesome to deal with.
Losing Rinne sucked. I drooled at the prospect of having a 1-2 punch of him and Vas.

We paid big for him too, imo, (for only a dozen-ish games), and hated losing him, but it was a necessary evil with a cap crunch looming.
I think we now should have enough cap ready to sign some UFAs, plus keep the core, including Benn, and maybe even grab a goalie from free agency.
With the heat off the GM to clear some cap space, all pressure now falls onto the shoulders of Vasilevskiy. We think our D will re-rate well enough to help him out well.

Longest trade talks I've ever had, lasting a good week or so. To no fault of Mathlete though.
Working out of town has been pretty tough with the travel and when I'm home for my 4 days, I try to stay off the computer as much as possible. Over that time, the GMs must've thrown a good dozen ideas back and forth. Thankfully, Brian was disgustingly amazing in the patience department and super easy to chat with. Appreciate it, man.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Rinne and Hutton should be a very good tandem, one of the best in the league. I really like the deal for the Preds however I think the Flyers also did well as market value isn't high right now. A huge fan of Hayes and I think Kylington has good potential

Last edited by savardandjokinen; 05-23-2018 at 09:49 PM.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote