Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #281
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This year the average for the top 10 teams was ~200 GF at ES.

? Only one team had 200+ GF at ES (TBL). I've got the average ES Goals For among the top ten teams at 165.5 ESGF.

Considering the six of Backlund, Bennett, Frolik, Gaudreau, Brodie, and Hamonic combined for 68 ES goals in 2015-16 and those same players were down to 48 ES Goals For last year, a few bounce back seasons alone would bump us into that range (in fact +20 goals would have us jumping past Washington for sixth place in ES GF at 181).

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #282
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
? Only one team had 200+ GF at ES (TBL). I've got the average ES Goals For among the top ten teams at 165.5 ESGF.
You're not counting 5 on 6 goals or 6 on 5 goals, I believe.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?report...ort=evGoalsFor

Four teams broke 200 EV GF.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #283
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You're not counting 5 on 6 goals or 6 on 5 goals, I believe.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?report...ort=evGoalsFor

Four teams broke 200 EV GF.
Thanks.

If you look at just 5V5 then it comes down to around 175 for the average for the top 10 teams.

Flames total drops down to 147 though - so you still are looking at ~30 5v5 goals to get into the upper echelon of the league.

I don’t fully disagree with GranteedEV though, you need to hope growth from Tkachuk, Jankowski, Bennett, and a return to form for Backlund and Frolik can get you 10-15 goals more than they did last year between the 5 of them.

Even then though I Still think they need one more true top end goal scorer that can get 15-20 goals at ES before they are a true contender.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #284
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for fun.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Zuccarello
Tkachuk – Jankowski- Ferland
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Dube- Shore – Lomberg

Lazar
Hathaway

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Anderson

Smith
Gillies

Fox + Mangiapane for Zuccarello ( I am guessing that NYR wants some youth in the first year of their rebuild, and they are hurting for good young D men, Fox is just an example of who that could be.)
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #285
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Zuccarello would get more than that. He's their leading scorer for the last three years with a pretty low 4.5M (one year left) contract. I'd think many teams would match that offer.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #286
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Zuccarello would get more than that. He's their leading scorer for the last three years with a pretty low 4.5M (one year left) contract. I'd think many teams would match that offer.
Yeah I was thinking that but he hasn't scored more than 20 goals in the last two seasons. Also, They will be looking to get as much value from their players as quickly as possible. Like I said, that deal isn't perfect its just an example of what is might take, Zuccarello is the type of player the Flames would target, and the Rangers are the type of team who will be looking for deals.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #287
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly we need to improve at least two of Ferland, Frolik, Jankowski, and Bennett in our top 9 to have any shot of contending next year.
Ideally the Flames add a couple players to the group of Gaudreau, Monahan, Jankowski, Bennett, Tkachuk, Ferland, Backlund, Shore, Frolik, Lazar and Hathaway. Get rid of Brouwer and allow Foo, Mangiapane, and Dube to fight it out for the last spot. If two of them look ready maybe you only add one guy or move on from Hathaway.

Problem with this is I'm unsure Treliving is willing to cut bait with Brouwer yet unfortunately.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #288
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not really sold on Zucc as a top line RW, I think he is more of a 2nd line winger. Also, he plays RW but he is not a RS.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #289
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't really know where to post this, but thought it was somewhat funny, but it definitely dosen't deserve its own thread. Scene opens on Mike Smith signing an Autograph, at the table with Troy Brouwer. Brouwer notices the camera and seems uncomfortable with the weight of the ink remaining in his pen. Lol. Poor guy. I hope he comes out and shuts us all up next year.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/one...092/c-60476103
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #290
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Don't really know where to post this, but thought it was somewhat funny, but it definitely dosen't deserve its own thread. Scene opens on Mike Smith signing an Autograph, at the table with Troy Brouwer. Brouwer notices the camera and seems uncomfortable with the weight of the ink remaining in his pen. Lol. Poor guy. I hope he comes out and shuts us all up next year.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/one...092/c-60476103
In the latest Athletic article Jonathan Willis ranks 25 players based how effective a buy out of them would be. Troy Brouwer lands #1 on the list.

I have a feeling Treliving will give him the year under Peter's though.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #291
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
In the latest Athletic article Jonathan Willis ranks 25 players based how effective a buy out of them would be. Troy Brouwer lands #1 on the list.

I have a feeling Treliving will give him the year under Peter's though.
Yea I think he's here next year too. Didn't read the article, but it doesn't seem like the cap relief makes having him on the books for 4 years all that worth while. Coupled with Peters saying that Brouwer is a good man, I think it's pretty unlikely that there is a buyout immenent.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #292
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the cap savings are only really relevant if you’re spending at or very near the cap. I am ok with Flames having $2 million less to spend next year, while saving money for years where they could be a contender.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #293
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they buy him out it’s time to get excited because it means they need cap room.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #294
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If they buy him out it’s time to get excited because it means they need cap room.
Excited...or maybe even a little scared haha.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #295
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Athletic has an article that argues Mangiapane should be penciled into the lineup for 18-19.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - Ferland
Mangiapane - Petan - Kapanen
Jankowski - Shore - Frolik

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson

Smith
Gillies

Here, I got nuts and trade Stone for Kapanen. We trade our later 4th round pick to Winnipeg for Nic Petan.

I feel like my plan might be stupid. Why would I trade a pick and would Toronto even trade Kapanen for Stone?!?

But I also love that 3rd line.

Last edited by Nelson; 05-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #296
hillspeak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If you would be able to trade Brodie for draft picks or as a larger package for a forward what about possibly trying to sign Mike Green to a 2 year contract.

He does still live in Calgary and would be a good addition to the PP.

He could fit with Hamonic or Stone and it would allow a little more time to develop the young D prospects.
hillspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #297
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillspeak View Post
If you would be able to trade Brodie for draft picks or as a larger package for a forward what about possibly trying to sign Mike Green to a 2 year contract.

He does still live in Calgary and would be a good addition to the PP.

He could fit with Hamonic or Stone and it would allow a little more time to develop the young D prospects.
A poster here spoke with Mike Green's dad in the past and he told him Green has no desire to play here.

Maybe that's changed over time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #298
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
The Athletic has an article that argues Mangiapane should be penciled into the lineup for 18-19.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - Ferland
Mangiapane - Petan - Kapanen
Jankowski - Shore - Frolik

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson

Smith
Gillies

Here, I got nuts and trade Stone for Kapanen. We trade our later 4th round pick to Winnipeg for Nic Petan.

I feel like my plan might be stupid. Why would I trade a pick and would Toronto even trade Kapanen for Stone?!?

But I also love that 3rd line.
My first thought after reading this post was that Petan is worth much more than a 4th round pick.
However, it does seem like he has struggled to produce at the NHL level. I'm not exactly sure what his waiver situation is like. Maybe he really is only worth a 4th at this point.

For me, the biggest problem with your projected lineup is the cap space. With Stone and Brouwer out, the Flames would have around 13 million in cap space. I don't see the Flames entering next season with that much room - not if they're planning on competing. This year's free agency is relatively strong for forwards (contrary to what others think). I guarantee the Flames will take advantage of that, at least to an extent.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #299
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
My first thought after reading this post was that Petan is worth much more than a 4th round pick.
However, it does seem like he has struggled to produce at the NHL level. I'm not exactly sure what his waiver situation is like. Maybe he really is only worth a 4th at this point.

For me, the biggest problem with your projected lineup is the cap space. With Stone and Brouwer out, the Flames would have around 13 million in cap space. I don't see the Flames entering next season with that much room - not if they're planning on competing. This year's free agency is relatively strong for forwards (contrary to what others think). I guarantee the Flames will take advantage of that, at least to an extent.
There’s a number of Jets articles that mention trading him. He’s 23 and has produced a lot at every level except the NHL. He has 21 points in 95 games. That’s actually not great at all, which is why I think a 4th might actually get it done. What did Yakupov go for when the Oilers traded him? It’s not as obvious a bust situation but Petan was also an early 2nd round pick - 43. I honestly think he’d go for a 3rd or 4th.

The reason I want Petan is I believe he has unfulfilled potential and high upside so I think a 4th would be a worthwhile risk.

Brouwer’s there. I just didn’t mention the 7th D and 13/14 F. With respect to cap space, I guess that’s true. I might spend it on a large one-year proven backup-type goalie.

Last edited by Nelson; 05-30-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #300
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see three ways the Flames can go from this off season going into the 2018-19 season.

Option A.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Brouwer
Mangiapane - Shore - Hathaway

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Smith
Gillies/Rittich

Same old, same old. No panic by Treliving and he keeps the same looking and same structured roster as last season, but this time it's under Bill Peters. They sit and wait to see what he can do with the Flames before making any major moves. Maybe a UFA signing or minor bottom 6 trade but nothing drastic.

Option B.

Gaudreau - Monahan - XXX
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Jankowski - XXX

Gio - Hamilton
XXX - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson

Smith
Gilles/Rittich

Management feels the need to make a change. Significant changes to the RW amd the forward core. Flames make a move for someone who can mesh with the Johnny and Mony duo, forcing Ferland into our bottom 6 to provide depth. Flames also make a move for a prospective RW, who becomes part of our core, and can push Frolik to the 3rd creating more depth in the bottom 6. Flames move a defender not named Gio or Hamilton to make space for Andersson, Valimaki or Kylington. Or they sign a UFA.

Option C.

Gaudreau - Monahan - XXX
Tkachuk - XXX - Bennett
Ferland - Janko/Backs - Frolik

Gio - Brodie
Kulak - Hamonic
XXX - Andersson

Flames managment gets panicky. They feel it's now or never and go all in. They make a move for a top tier center which creates a 1a and 1b for the top two lines. Doing this causes the next in line C to become expendable, Jankowski or Backlund. They still make a chase for a solid RW to play with Johnny and Mony. In the process of getting a 1st line C and 1st line RW, Dougie Hamilton is moved, forcing Peters to get crafty with his defensive pairings. Quebec City gets an expansion team and Brian Burke does up his tie.

Last edited by Mattman; 05-30-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Mattman is offline   Reply With Quote