Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #3361
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I like the idea of a lunar gateway. I don't know what the point is on going to the moon unless we're setting up infrastructure to go further. Or looking at something more then just some people to land and walk around.

I think that the space program really needs to go beyond orbital space stations or returning to the moon or firing probes out. One of the big things about the space race was it inspired people and for a brief period expanded man's horizons. Its really time to do it again.

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

We should be building that laser focus to go beyond the moon.

Its time.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #3362
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I like the idea of a lunar gateway. I don't know what the point is on going to the moon unless we're setting up infrastructure to go further. Or looking at something more then just some people to land and walk around.

I think that the space program really needs to go beyond orbital space stations or returning to the moon or firing probes out. One of the big things about the space race was it inspired people and for a brief period expanded man's horizons. Its really time to do it again.

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

Its time.
I think the biggest benefit of the Moon is being able to put Telescopes and instruments on the dark side of the Moon. Also if they can figure out how to extract fuel from the surface it would be much easier to get somewhere like Mars.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #3363
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the very few times that I can say something Trump has done is awesome.

Funding NASA, and space travel/research, is awesome.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #3364
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think the biggest benefit of the Moon is being able to put Telescopes and instruments on the dark side of the Moon. Also if they can figure out how to extract fuel from the surface it would be much easier to get somewhere like Mars.

I'm probably wrong, but isn't putting telescopes and sensors on the surface not as good as orbiting because of things like light radiation, seismic disturbances and shifting surfaces.

I get the fuel extract, and I call on the real world equivalent of Bruce Willis to make that happen.

I would think that one of the best things to do is to build a orbital vehicle assembly facility. Build ships in space which would reduce things like fuel usage and costs.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #3365
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
I'm probably wrong, but isn't putting telescopes and sensors on the surface not as good as orbiting because of things like light radiation, seismic disturbances and shifting surfaces.

I get the fuel extract, and I call on the real world equivalent of Bruce Willis to make that happen.

I would think that one of the best things to do is to build a orbital vehicle assembly facility. Build ships in space which would reduce things like fuel usage and costs.
You are right. Also, the issue of Micrometeorites.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #3366
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Its time.
One of the steps that any space-faring civilization will need to go through is figuring out how to extract and work with materials in low gravity, low atmosphere conditions. To me, this should be one practical focus of going to the moon. Even if the primary element we're able to mine there is iron, we could someday bring up a small amount of carbon from earth to make steel. If we could become skilled in processing and working with steel in low gravity, zero atmosphere conditions, that would be a game-changer for us. The cost of orbit-to-orbit spacecraft would greatly decrease, and we could approach the solar radiation problem with massively thick hulls. Actually achieving that is a long way off, but I think that's where a lot of the science needs to be focused right now.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #3367
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
It also isn’t any darker over there. It’s just the “far side” of the moon to us earthlings.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #3368
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the benefits, I think, is that the "dark side" is a radio dead zone, so a radio telescope is shielded form all our Earth garbage signals, since it is permanently oriented away from Earth.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #3369
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

My excitement is building.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #3370
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

My excitement is building.
Maybe some content for future game of thrones episodes
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #3371
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
It also isn’t any darker over there. It’s just the “far side” of the moon to us earthlings.

I know, I've been there

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #3372
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://hubblesite.org/image/4492/news

Last edited by zamler; 05-16-2019 at 02:41 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #3373
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
But it is for a few days a month. Night on the near side of the moon is awash in earth glow. But on the far side it is dark.

I think the best application for moon mission is as a proving ground for technology, as some have mentioned resource extraction, but also life support system, radiation shielding, long duration-lowG health impacts, crop production....
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #3374
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
But it is for a few days a month. Night on the near side of the moon is awash in earth glow. But on the far side it is dark.

I think the best application for moon mission is as a proving ground for technology, as some have mentioned resource extraction, but also life support system, radiation shielding, long duration-lowG health impacts, crop production....

Weapons testing. We have to be prepared for anything.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 PM   #3375
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Thanks for sharing this here. I watch his channel. He has frequent, quality content.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #3376
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pfizer discovers a breakthrough on Alzheimer's prevention, and decides that it would cut into their profits to pursue the technology. They also don't tell anyone non-profit, because it sets a poor precedent for the creation of cures that could undercut their current treatment profits.

I apologize for not embedding the original Washington Post story, as that site splash added the crap out of me.

Quote:
A U.S. drug company did not openly share or perform further studies on a successful rheumatoid arthritis medicine that internal researchers suggested was reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease by 64 percent, according to Washington Post article published Tuesday.

Researchers at Pfizer reportedly urged the firm to conduct a clinical trial after finding the potential hidden benefit of the anti-inflammatory drug Enbrel while analyzing insurance claims.

It was estimated to cost $80 million to conduct the trial, and Pfizer decided to pass.
The 20th century had Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot as the most heartlessly egregious murderers. The 21st century will have the Boards of pharmaceutical companies holding back treatments and cures for multiple diseases as our most efficient killers.

Hive of scum and villainy.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/44...ilities-report

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b2eb54b3ec56
Old 06-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #3377
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #3378
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dogs evolved a muscle to make you love them:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...uppy-dog-eyes/
Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #3379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SpaceX is targeting Monday, June 24 for a Falcon Heavy launch of the STP-2 mission from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The primary launch window opens at 11:30 p.m. EDT, or 3:30 UTC on June 25, and closes at 3:30 a.m. EDT on June 25, or 7:30 UTC. A backup launch window opens on June 25 at 11:30 p.m. EDT, or 3:30 UTC on June 26, and closes at 3:30 a.m. EDT on June 26, or 7:30 UTC. Deployments will begin approximately 12 minutes after liftoff and end approximately 3 hours and 32 minutes after liftoff.
Falcon Heavy’s side boosters for the STP-2 mission previously supported the Arabsat-6A mission in April 2019. Following booster separation, Falcon Heavy’s two side boosters will attempt to land at SpaceX’s Landing Zones 1 and 2 (LZ-1 and LZ-2) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Falcon Heavy’s center core will attempt to land on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean.
Scheduled for 9:30.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #3380
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it was delayed for 2 hours.

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science