Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2024, 06:03 AM   #1
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help with Italy itinerary please

My wife and I are going to travel to Europe in May. It'll be a whirlwind trip and we will have about 4 days in Italy before traveling to the next country to meet friends where there will be a fixed itinerary.

We've never been to Italy before and other than Venice, my wife doesn't have many other must do for Italy.

We planned on making Milan the base for that leg of the trip. Some friends will be in a nearby port city a few hours away, but we don't think we'd meet up with them for maybe more than a day.

We plan on doing a day trip to Venice and maybe hit up smaller towns or something on the way over/on the way back. We wouldn't mind hitting Florence and Pisa unless a better idea replaces it. We don't feel excitement about attractions in Rome and it feels a bit aggressive as a day trip from Milan. We'd rather use that day for Milan/rest day and maybe some other ideas unless something really must do in Rome piques our interest. Remaining day would be the port city/Milan and mostly wine/dine and hang out/chill out vs attractions.

Thoughts?

My wife and I can be pretty aggressive travelers and power through 5+ itinerary things in a day over 8-10 hours. But we also like to have semi chill days too with 1-3 things and just see how things go.

Any other advice about Italy in general would be welcomed.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 07:23 AM   #2
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can make it to Florence, do it. You won't be disappointed. One of the coolest cities I've ever been to. Wandering those incredible streets was an absolute ton of fun.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 08:08 AM   #3
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I only had 4 days and wanted to see Venice, I'd spend the whole time there. It's really neat, and there's quite a bit to see/do. But from your description that doesn't sound like how you prefer to travel. I agree Florence is nice, and the leaning tower of Pisa is nearby there as well. I'd probably prefer Florence to Milan if it was me.

Also, if you want to take a day trip to Venice you have to register online and pay a fee, just something to remember to do.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 08:35 AM   #4
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We did three nights in Venice and that was enough for us. St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace were really cool. The bridge of sighs and dungeon are so creepy. Food tours are a bit meh, but how good can the traditional food be when you live in a swamp. Lots to see walking around, but you do start to see the same things over and over. Really good tiramisu shops like “I Tre Mercanti” that are worth the walk.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:00 AM   #5
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
My wife and I are going to travel to Europe in May. It'll be a whirlwind trip and we will have about 4 days in Italy before traveling to the next country to meet friends where there will be a fixed itinerary.

We've never been to Italy before and other than Venice, my wife doesn't have many other must do for Italy.

We planned on making Milan the base for that leg of the trip. Some friends will be in a nearby port city a few hours away, but we don't think we'd meet up with them for maybe more than a day.

We plan on doing a day trip to Venice and maybe hit up smaller towns or something on the way over/on the way back. We wouldn't mind hitting Florence and Pisa unless a better idea replaces it. We don't feel excitement about attractions in Rome and it feels a bit aggressive as a day trip from Milan. We'd rather use that day for Milan/rest day and maybe some other ideas unless something really must do in Rome piques our interest. Remaining day would be the port city/Milan and mostly wine/dine and hang out/chill out vs attractions.

Thoughts?

My wife and I can be pretty aggressive travelers and power through 5+ itinerary things in a day over 8-10 hours. But we also like to have semi chill days too with 1-3 things and just see how things go.

Any other advice about Italy in general would be welcomed.
What my good friend ChatGPT has to say:
Creating a four-day itinerary for a trip to Italy with Milan as a base and including a visit to Venice is an exciting plan. Here's a suggested itinerary that maximizes your time and experience in these beautiful cities:

### Day 1: Explore Milan
- **Morning:** Start your day with a visit to the iconic Duomo di Milano. Climb to the rooftop for a stunning view of the city.
- **Afternoon:** Explore the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II for shopping and lunch. Visit the nearby Sforza Castle and the adjacent Parco Sempione.
- **Evening:** Enjoy a traditional Milanese dinner at a local restaurant and stroll through the Navigli district, famous for its canals and vibrant nightlife.

### Day 2: Day Trip to Lake Como
- **Morning and Afternoon:** Take a train to Lake Como, which is about an hour from Milan. Spend your day exploring the charming villages around the lake, such as Bellagio and Varenna. You can enjoy a boat tour to see the beautiful villas and gardens along the lake.
- **Evening:** Return to Milan. Relax in the evening or explore more of Milan’s culinary scene.

### Day 3: Venice
- **Early Morning:** Take an early train to Venice (about 2.5 hours from Milan). Upon arrival, start exploring the canals, bridges, and walkways of Venice.
- **Afternoon:** Visit St. Mark’s Basilica and the Doge’s Palace. Don’t miss the Bridge of Sighs and Rialto Bridge.
- **Evening:** Enjoy dinner at a restaurant along the Grand Canal. Consider an evening gondola ride for a unique experience of the city.
- **Note:** You can choose to return to Milan late in the evening or opt for an overnight stay in Venice if you prefer.

### Day 4: More of Milan or Nearby City
- **Option 1 (Stay in Milan):** Spend your day visiting museums like the Pinacoteca di Brera or the Leonardo da Vinci Museum of Science and Technology. Relax in the Brera district in the evening.
- **Option 2 (Another Day Trip):** Consider a day trip to a nearby city like Bergamo or Verona. Both are rich in history and offer a different Italian experience.

### Travel Tips:
- **Transportation:** Utilize Italy's efficient train network for intercity travels. Booking tickets in advance can save time and money.
- **Accommodation:** For the Venice day trip, decide based on your comfort and the train schedule whether to return to Milan for the night or stay in Venice.
- **Local Experience:** Try to include local experiences like a Milanese aperitivo or a Venetian cicchetti tour.

This itinerary offers a blend of city exploration, scenic beauty, and cultural immersion. Adjustments can be made based on personal interests and pacing preferences. Enjoy your Italian adventure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 09:55 AM   #6
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cinque Terre (add.... it's super touristy now though)

Florence is meh. Hate the stupid bridge. Hit up Petti Gola. Do the Chianti tasting, get a sip of Classico from the 60s. It's delicious.

Last edited by toonmaster; 02-04-2024 at 09:58 AM.
toonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:59 AM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florence is meh? Duuuude.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #8
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
We did three nights in Venice and that was enough for us. St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace were really cool. The bridge of sighs and dungeon are so creepy. Food tours are a bit meh, but how good can the traditional food be when you live in a swamp. Lots to see walking around, but you do start to see the same things over and over. Really good tiramisu shops like “I Tre Mercanti” that are worth the walk.
You have to take side trips to Burano and Murano to really enjoy Venice.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:36 AM   #9
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ctrl+F Amalfi

Yeah... go check out the Amalfi Coast

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:40 AM   #10
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Cinque Terre, Florence, Lake Como, Verona and the Amalfi Coast are all great options.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:41 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Ctrl+F Amalfi

Yeah... go check out the Amalfi Coast
Amalfi coast is way too far south for that trip. Cinque Terre is the correct answer if he wants that sort of thing. And it is pretty awesome hiking between towns, or taking the train.

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-04-2024 at 10:44 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 10:43 AM   #12
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

If you are going to visit Florence (we loved Florence) from Milan, I'd recommend stopping in Modena which is on the way. The Enzo Ferrari museum in Modena was worth the time. There is a second Ferrari museum that is more focused on just the cars. I'd recommend it as well.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 11:31 AM   #13
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Unless there's a specific reason you want to stay in Milan, I'd go for Florence instead. It's a much nicer and more interesting city and the travel times to places like Venice and Cinque Terre are a bit shorter. The only real advantage of Milan is it's closer to Lake Como and the Alps.

And I don't know if I'd bother with Pisa. I went there because I was staying the night about 30 minutes away in Lucca, and even that short trip didn't seem like it was really worth it. I would have been better off spending a couple more hours in Lucca.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 11:46 AM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, Pissa is fun if it's on the way and you have time to stop. But I certainly wouldn't trade it for any of the other options in Italy if you are on a tight schedule.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:46 AM   #15
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I guess what are your goals in going to Italy for four days?

My impression is you want to see the maximum number of things, but in Italy the highlights are usually not the ‘big things’. It’s finding an incredible pizza while lost walking in Venice. It’s having dinner while the sun sets on como. It’s people watching in a town square, and for many it’s exploring smaller centres.

Venice and Florence are better than Milan as a neat place to explore, but four days would be a good time in just one of those places. If I had to explore four cities in four days I’d probably link two major centres with a nice historical town in between.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:14 PM   #16
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

First question is what country is next/what direction are you heading?

If you’re thinking of Florence and Pisa then consider Lucca. There is a wall around the old town which you can walk or better yet, rent bikes and bike around. It’s city street wide. The old town is so quaint. It’s a day tour destination so if you can, stay overnight, and enjoy it without the bus loads. Pisa I’d say is a let down. It’s the tower and duomo and not much else. Florence would take a day and Como/Garda would be a day just because of the ferries between the various towns. We had one of our most memorable meals in Olcio.

Other than Pisa I’d say all of these are places for slower travel. Milan you could run and gun because it’s just a big city in my books. The other places have more to see and more to offer at a slower pace.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:07 PM   #17
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I second the Lucca recommendation if you’re going to check out Pisa. My wife and I loved renting bikes and biking along the top of the old wall and exploring the streets

Cinque Terre is beautiful, hiking between the towns is fabulous

Do a walking tour in Florence to really appreciate the architecture and neighbourhoods
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:20 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pisa is like a..."I was there and kind of had to." But its like being at a Mexican bazaar...there are going to be a million people trying to sell you crap.

Florence was my favourite place in Italy. Such a beautiful city with so much history.

Rome is Rome. There is tons to do and in many ways its overwhelming. Honestly...if you've only got 4 days? I'd probably skip Rome. Its just too much.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 02:26 PM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they eventually correct the lean of the Tower of Pisa, I wonder how badly that would negatively impact tourism.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:29 PM   #20
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Also, I heard that Venice is implementing a visitors fee starting in April. Not much and only on certain days I think.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote