Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #81
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Wow, some people get really emotionally attached to their pets.

I would never pay a massive vet bill to save my dog...............but of course I love him.
I grew up in rural Alberta and when the time comes when Rover is getting weak/sick and old, we get a friend to take him out to the pasture with a rifle and do the deed. I dont think I could do it myself.............
The dog below emerged from three surgeries cancer-free last Fall . . . . . and my wallet was $11,000 lighter.

I could afford it though . . . . . about 15 years ago, a cat cost $1,500 and that was when $1,500 meant something. That was a tougher decision.

A few years ago, we'd known a cat two days and she was going to cost us $1,600 after abuse in a pet store meant her back feet had to be amputated . . . . . the other choice was euthenasia. Although I didn't ask for a break, surgeons at Western Veterinary donated their time, cutting the bill in half. Two-footed Polly is a happy, domineering, going concern in our house.

To each his own. Some would go the extra mile, other's wouldn't. There is a reason, however, why modern disaster service plans now include pet evacuation planning . . . . . pets have a different position in families than might have been the case even 20 years ago.

Below, a very expensive dog, tattered after three surgeries in the Fall, but miraculously cancer-free . . . . and the hair has grown back.

Nice tribute IFF . . . . . I've written a few of those in the past as well.

Cowperson
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You should rename him, call him patches

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #83
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You should rename him, call him patches
Her own name is too deliciously ironic to change . . . . . . she was called "Keeper" by her former owners. After one year, they didn't want her anymore. So "Keeper" she remains.

Cowperson
Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #84
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
attacked by another dog?
Yep.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #85
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry to make a double post, I didn't find this thread right away before I posted in the "My cat has diabetes thread"

As I posted in the previous thread, It turns out my cat's diabetes developed due to cancer in his liver.
He stopped eating this weekend while I was away and the vet made the diagnosis today when I brought him in. His liver function was well off the charts.
It was really sudden turn of events as he was perfectly fine a week ago and his blood sugars were really well controlled
I said good bye to him and he was put to sleep. The vet was really good, gave him an injection to put him to sleep, and waited until I left the room before giving him the OD dose

The cruel thing about it is that it's ~$90 for euthanisia, but $140 for the process with the owner (me) present

Anyways, it was in this thread that had the very nice poems and tributes and today, they have much more meaning for me
Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #86
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We had to put our 9 year old Rottie down just before Christmas. Pretty hard to do, but it was time. We prepared both our kids for it, and bought them another dog a few months prior. We couldn't replace her as she was the best dog a person could want, but the new puppy sure helped when it was time. One of the hardest things I have had to do in a long time.

Last edited by gordo67; 02-16-2010 at 03:16 PM.
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordo67 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #87
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post

The cruel thing about it is that it's ~$90 for euthanisia, but $140 for the process with the owner (me) present
That doesn't sound right ?

It's hard to do but it has to be done, and kids can learn from it, loved ones die, dogs and cats, Grandmas and Paws, sometimes Mom or Dad too...

I think back to my childhood now and shake my head amazed how many people died around me in my young years... I will never get over my Mom dying when I was a kid and not having but 1 grand parent etc.

Death is part of life, without death, would we have life, or just live?

Putting down pets that look to us for their needs, and trust us with their lives is hard.

But give the pet the greatest respect, put it down before it suffers.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #88
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad to hear guys. I admittedly hate opening this thread, as it really tugs at my heart. We had this discussion at work today. One of the guys just had to put his 9 year old great dane down, and another co-worker just couldn't understand why it was such a big deal.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #89
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Sorry about your cat lchoy. I imagine the extra cost for you to be present at the end is for the extra time it will take to have you there. It's probably a fairly clinical/cold experience for the animal without you there and the vet would be done in minutes. With the owner there I bet the vet takes his time and works at setting a more solemn/loving final few minutes. Probably money well spent for your animal to be able to have you there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #90
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I saw this a few weeks ago and it certainly applies to this thread:

Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #91
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Snip

Last edited by WilsonFourTwo; 02-17-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: No longer relevant....didn't notice OP date....wowzers
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #92
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #93
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
Having read your post,
Clearly you did not read the date on the post...

I hope Louie is resting peacefully. And Lchoys cat.

As a pet-owner, my dog is 10 months old, I am not looking forward to when she eventually gts old and/or sick
Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #94
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Clearly you did not read the date on the post...

I hope Louie is resting peacefully. And Lchoys cat.

As a pet-owner, my dog is 10 months old, I am not looking forward to when she eventually gts old and/or sick
LOL - it's very true.....I'm bad for not checking the date. Bumped threads cause WilsonTwoFail quite often.

Went back to check on an update this morning and realized the boo-boo - Doh!

Good news about your pup though.....lotta years before you gotta worry!
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #95
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My parents just got back from the vet where they learned back surgery for their dachshund will cost them $7000.

If that happened to my dog....it's tough to think about but I simply don't have that money when I live alone with a mortgage. But it would bother me for life if I had to put my dog down because of money.

This is the 4th dog around me that has undergone expensive vet treatments. I think it's time to look into pet insurance. Does anyone here get it?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #96
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's the weakness of the owners that makes these bad decisions... arg

Making the pet go thru such a traumatic event is the same as cruelty...

I understand, I had to put my German Shepard down after 12 years... That dog loved me, we were very close, that's why I put her down.

If you love the pet, do it a favor and put it down without suffering the stress of such an ordeal. Suck it up and do the best for the PET! You'll get over it.

Last edited by Pinner; 02-17-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #97
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our beloved Popeye passed away on Sunday after almost 13 years. He was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and had been on medications (10 pills a day) for quite some time and would have episodes where he would lose his breath and faint. After reading this thread, I kind of wished that we didn't make him suffer for so long. He died in my dad's arms after screaming in pain. I feel guilty because I was on vacation when it happened. He was such a big part of our family and he seemed to know when one of us was upset. He would lay down next to us to comfort us.
I wish that I had a chance to say goodbye, but I wish that he could've died in comfort instead of pain.

I was in shock when my mom told me when she picked me up from the airport yesterday. The reality is starting to set in that he's gone.

Goodbye Popeye, sorry we could not be strong enough to save you from your suffering.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #98
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

RIP Popeye.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #99
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Indeed ... RIP Popeye.

Putting pets to sleep has to be one of the toughest tasks we have to perform. I've had to do it a few times over the years and finding that balance between what's the best time for "us" and what's the best time for "them" is tough. We have two pets right now who will be getting to that point soon ... a cat and a dog. It sucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ford Prefect For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #100
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Condolences.

Here is something really different:

http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/bel..._main2006.aspx

At LifeGem, we understand that pets are cherished companions and unconditionally loving family members.

Since introducing the LifeGem to the world, we have received hundreds of requests to memorialize pets as LifeGems. The answer is YES, we absolutely can and will create a LifeGem memorial of your precious pet.

The LifeGemŽ is a certified, high-quality diamond created from the carbon of your loved one as a memorial to their unique life.

Last edited by troutman; 04-08-2010 at 04:20 PM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote