Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #421
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Well they have to deal with the in—the—look, there is institutional segregation in this country. And from the time I got involved I started... dealing with that. Redlining, banks, making sure that we are in a position where—look, you talk about education. I proposed that what we take is those very poor schools, the Title 1 schools, triple the amount of money we spend from 15 to 45 billion a year, give every single teacher a raise so they equal, raise so getting out of the, the 60 thousand dollar level.

Number two, make sure that we bring in to the help the, the stu—the teachers deal with the problems that come from home. The problems that come from home, we need—we have one school psychologist for every 15 hundred kids in America today. It’s crazy. The teachers are [unintelligible]—I’m married to a teacher. My deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them. We have make sure that every single child does in fact have... three, four, and five year olds go to school, school, not daycare, school.

We bring social workers in to homes of parents, to help them deal with how to raise their children. It’s not they don’t want to help, they don’t want—they don’t know quite what to do. Play the radio, make sure the television, the—excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night, the, the phone, make sure kids hear words. A kid coming from a very poor school, a, a very poor background, will hear four million words fewer spoken by the time they get there.
Uhhh....that's incoherent nonsense.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #422
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it's not Trump level incoherent nonsense, but with a little practice, he'll get there!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #423
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean, it's not Trump level incoherent nonsense, but with a little practice, he'll get there!
This is why I'm arguing the bar needs to be set a little bit higher than "can beat Trump."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #424
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure it even needs to be, because I'm not sure he can do it, stepping all over himself the way he has been. This gets more intense as you move into the general, not less. If he's coming apart at the seams already, I'm concerned about what he'd be like 10 months from now.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #425
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

What a takedown. This is the type of politics the Democrats are facing within their core. There can be no winner.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...rimary-884047/

Quote:
Democrats need an antiracist nominee against a racist like Donald Trump. The third debate confirmed that the former vice president isn’t up to the task.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #426
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a stunningly stupid piece of commentary, indeed. Not surprising though. Basically par for the course for the "let's appeal to wealthy, out of touch educated white people in coastal cities who think social issues are what really matter to the country" crowd who seem to pen a lot of opinion pieces in online magazines.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #427
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is why I'm arguing the bar needs to be set a little bit higher than "can beat Trump."
It really doesn't. Four more years of Trump and likely continuing GOP control of the Senate is so catastrophic on paper that Biden's corpse is better than any of the other Dem nominees so long as he can win. This is the ultimate "least worst" election. Sucks, but the long term damage of Trump for four years is already gonna be ugly. Eight years and the GOP dream of a Christian theocracy is basically there to be had.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #428
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

doing well in a debate rarely translates to an actual election...unless you think Trump is a master debater

the far left candidates are gonna get a lot of votes in places the dems will win anyway...all that matters are the toss up states and I think Biden still holds the best chance at the moment.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #429
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I have to wonder how Al Franken would have fared in this field.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #430
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I have to wonder how Al Franken would have fared in this field.
It really is too bad. It’s kind of a perfect storm for a comedian turned politician.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #431
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

This debate is already better organized than the last CNN-hosted debacle. Except that Andrew Yang is near the last to speak, that is.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #432
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Klobachar and Harris are terrible.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #433
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gabbard claps back at the smears.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #434
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Buttigieg keeps making the most sense. I hope he breaks through
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #435
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I like the way Gabbard handles herself up there.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #436
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yang was very strong tonight. Sanders did a good job of showing that he wasn't hobbled by the heart attack. Warren managed to avoid most of the attacks, except on the wealth tax. Biden was, as usual, horrible.

News broke after the debate, AOC to endorse Bernie Sanders.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:06 PM   #437
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yang was very strong tonight. Sanders did a good job of showing that he wasn't hobbled by the heart attack. Warren managed to avoid most of the attacks, except on the wealth tax. Biden was, as usual, horrible.

News broke after the debate, AOC to endorse Bernie Sanders.
I think all 4 of them will endorse Bernie. That really hurts Warren right?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #438
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, I'm honestly not sure. I think a whole swath of candidates have to drop out, and have their supporters redistribute themselves, before we know where we really stand. It's possible that Biden is in much better shape than he appears because he has a bunch of supporters-in-waiting hiding in, say, Tom Steyer's camp, or Julian Castro's camp, or Amy Klobuchar's camp, that collectively give him a 5-10 point bump. Or, maybe they decide, "screw it, Warren it is", and then this whole thing is over.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #439
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the post-mortem interviews, Van Jones just nailed Warren on forcing Americans to adopt medicare for all, vs. medicare for all who want it.

"Do you care about freedom, in the sense of do you care about the freedom to opt out? The idea is that the public option is available, but not required. That means you can take the subway, but if you want you can take an Uber, or your own car, or ride a bike, or simply walk. What you're saying is 'you must take the subway'"

Damn.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #440
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Because you have to structure it that way.. ugh. America is so dumb. It’s not supposed to be as freedom of choice. It’s supposed to be a human right.