Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #81
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In general if something can go in the green bin put it in the green bin. Composting actually makes sense.

If it is not pristine and perfectly clean uncontaminted recyclable material and can’t be composted put it in the garbage.

Contamination of recycling is a huge issue in the multistream recycling system and there is almost zero market for anything but aluminum and very clean paper products.

In general Compost first, Garbage second, and only the best product into recycling.
If this is true then they need to be reversing the weekly / bi-weekly pickups from recycling / garbage because every two weeks ain’t enough if majority of stuff needs to go black bin.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #82
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

lately i have been making more of an effort to try and ensure stuff i recycle is clean, labels are removed etc - but some labels are a lot of work to get off.

sometimes i think it would be nice if the manufacturers could come up with labels that come off clean - but i suppose that their worry is that the label will fall off at the point of sale or at the consumers home and then you have a mystery can of who knows what
Old 09-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't need to remove labels, and you waste more resources over-washing. Quick rinse to remove most of the food bits is good enough.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #84
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I really, really wish everything was standardized and had a black blue or green sticker on it.

The system should be fool proof, and it feels like you need to research and study to throw things out properly right now.

I'd also like the ability to make purchase decisions that are influenced by how ####ty the packaging is for the environment. Right now it all seems to be based on gut feel and vague knowledge.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #85
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You don't need to remove labels, and you waste more resources over-washing. Quick rinse to remove most of the food bits is good enough.

For most things, probably. Just add some soap and hot water and shake it up. A nutella or peanut butter jar? That's a little more than a quick rinse.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #86
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those go in the dishwasher. I'm not spending 5 minutes scrubbing them!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #87
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those go into the garbage. You're wasting resources (time/water/energy) dishwashing them which makes the bad economics of plastic recycling even worse.

I ensure my aluminum is in a good recyclable state, but dirty/soiled plastic containers go right into the trash.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #88
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would be nice to get a list of things which are actually being recycled.

I'd consider myself a recycling enthusiast but my GAS gauge (Give A Sh1t) has gone down significantly over the last little while as I learn more about the sad state of recycling.

I used to naively (!) think my plastics were turning into lawn chairs, playground equipment and frisbees.

I have started throwing out a lot of things which I used to recycle like clamshells.

What even happens to a lot of the single use plastics like shampoo bottles, peanut butter jars, salad dressing bottles, etc? Like the others here, I used to clean those out. Should I even bother?

What about paper, cardboard? Campbells soup cans?

What items are even worth throwing in the blue bins these days? ANYTHING?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #89
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

And just to cloud the issue, my neighbour told me to put soil in the black bin. I just assumed that would be a green bin thing, but apparently not?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #90
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And just to cloud the issue, my neighbour told me to put soil in the black bin. I just assumed that would be a green bin thing, but apparently not?
Your neighbour is wrong. Your assumption is correct: https://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages...soil-dirt.aspx
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #91
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Your neighbour is wrong. Your assumption is correct: https://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages...soil-dirt.aspx
At least I was right on that one!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #92
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been slowly reducing my clay pile all summer with the green bin. You can also put sod in it.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #93
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Campbells soup cans?

What items are even worth throwing in the blue bins these days? ANYTHING?
Aluminum cans definitely should be recycled. They melt them and make new aluminum, pretty much indefinitely.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #94
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've been slowly reducing my clay pile all summer with the green bin. You can also put sod in it.
I thought you snuck it in your pant legs and just let it loose during your walks in The Yard?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #95
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I really, really wish everything was standardized and had a black blue or green sticker on it.

The system should be fool proof, and it feels like you need to research and study to throw things out properly right now.

I'd also like the ability to make purchase decisions that are influenced by how ####ty the packaging is for the environment. Right now it all seems to be based on gut feel and vague knowledge.
Agreed. The system either to needs to fool-proofed 'at source' when you put items in your bin and be clear or it needs to be fool-proofed 'at sort' where you just toss all of your stuff in the bin and the people who receive it sort it accordingly.

Right now we've got some hellish mix of the both.

And lest I get into a rant, why in the blue hell can we not recycle styrofoam? I got an angry note on my Blue Bin for having packing styrofoam in there, I figured that was a mistake, of course styrofoam is recycled. Right? Right?

Nope.

I spoke with the City and styrofoam has to go in the Black Bin or to the dump.

So we had done a number of small improvements at home and everything comes packed in massive amounts of styrofoam so I either pack my entire black bin with the crap and have no room for actual garbage for two weeks or I load up my car and go to the dump with an enormous load of weightless BS.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #96
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Aluminum cans definitely should be recycled. They melt them and make new aluminum, pretty much indefinitely.
Also aluminum takes a lot of energy to process from ore, recycling aluminum uses 90% less energy.
GGG
Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #97
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok good. We seem to have one item confirmed. Aluminum cans. Anything else?

AH HA! This will be very helpful. DOYYC is coming up. September 28 and 29. Used to be called "Open Doors Calgary", I think.

Blue bin:

https://www.doorsopenyyc.org/site/ca...ling-facility/

Green bin:

https://www.doorsopenyyc.org/site/co...ment-facility/

I'm going to go to these and grill 'em with questions. I think in general people want to be helpful but the city needs to do a better job with education. We're all paying for these services. If it's not working, just admit it and scrap the program and throw everything in the dump. People need the TRUTH!

Last edited by dubc80; 09-10-2019 at 10:10 AM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #98
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

AH HA! This will be very helpful. DOYYC is coming up. September 28 and 29. Used to be called "Open Doors Calgary", I think.

Blue bin:

Green bin:

I'm going to go to these and grill 'em with questions.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #99
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Blue bin:

Green bin:

I'm going to go to these and grill 'em with questions. I think in general people want to be helpful but the city needs to do a better job with education. We're all paying for these services. If it's not working, just admit it and scrap the program and throw everything in the dump. People need the TRUTH!
How much more do they need to do though? At some point, you need to look it up yourself f you aren't sure. They always list stuff on your utility bill, in the weekly reminder emails if you sign up, they've sent out flyers, they tag your bin if you get it wrong, with info on what goes where. They have a website literally called "what goes where". Not knowing is not really an excuse at this point. Take 2 minutes and look it up if you aren't sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #100
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Agreed. The system either to needs to fool-proofed 'at source' when you put items in your bin and be clear or it needs to be fool-proofed 'at sort' where you just toss all of your stuff in the bin and the people who receive it sort it accordingly.

Right now we've got some hellish mix of the both.

And lest I get into a rant, why in the blue hell can we not recycle styrofoam? I got an angry note on my Blue Bin for having packing styrofoam in there, I figured that was a mistake, of course styrofoam is recycled. Right? Right?

Nope.

I spoke with the City and styrofoam has to go in the Black Bin or to the dump.

So we had done a number of small improvements at home and everything comes packed in massive amounts of styrofoam so I either pack my entire black bin with the crap and have no room for actual garbage for two weeks or I load up my car and go to the dump with an enormous load of weightless BS.
I wait until we have a huge snowstorm and then I shred it and then set up a fan in the alley.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: