Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #461
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
In the first game he played, his passes lacked anything resembling touch or aim. Forget in the skates, they were like five feet off from the target. He was fast, but so was Rico Fata.

Last night hardly changed my mind. Nothing he brought influenced the game positively.
That play and pass he made to Lomberg for a goal was pretty nice.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #462
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcrosser View Post
Those orange jerseys are just hideous. Why did they change to those turds?

Sent from Indianapolis
Because they all drive Kubotas?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #463
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangler22 View Post
They don't care yet. It's preseason and the vets use this to warm up. Gio is a guy who gives 100 no matter what but he is a very rare breed.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
In both this and the Canucks game the vets played Globetrotter for a while and then said, “OK, we know we’re better” and then rested for the evening. I suppose that may even be a legit thing to do in the preseason.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #464
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the veterans play in the third period of pre season games is so very low of possible concerns for the season so as not to even register.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #465
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If this was primarily starters laying a pre season egg I would be concerned. How many years do the Flames have poor pre seasons just to start the actual season slow. So if they play like this the last 2 pre season games I will be worried.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #466
DB93
Backup Goalie

Exp:

After watching the third period last night, I have no confidence in Davidson. He is a complete liability. Would much rather see them sign MacDonald to be the 8th Dman.
DB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #467
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Veterans are trying to get ready for the preseason. They aren't trying to win a hockey game. It's a stretch before a run. It's a couple of pregame ralleys before you start a set.

It's why some guys always look good preseason. Guys like Bennett, Lomberg, Dube, etc need to make an impression. Those guys turn it up now while most are at half speed.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #468
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Veterans are trying to get ready for the preseason. They aren't trying to win a hockey game. It's a stretch before a run. It's a couple of pregame ralleys before you start a set.

It's why some guys always look good preseason. Guys like Bennett, Lomberg, Dube, etc need to make an impression. Those guys turn it up now while most are at half speed.
If Bennett can get the coach’s attention he may make the big club
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #469
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
You forgot Giordano

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #470
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

That was a different team in the 2nd half of the game. Chalk it up to pre-season I guess.

I don’t see how they can trade Brodie now if that ever was the plan. I think Stone can be a decent 7th Dman but I don’t trust him to be a regular starter anymore. Yelesin isn’t there yet and may never get there. I think T.J. needs to remain on the roster.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #471
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let's stop saying preseason games are reflective of very little then going on to react and make definitive statements about players based on preseason games in the next sentence?

Ignore the vets. PTOs are the ones that have to accomplish anything here, and thus are probably the only guys these games are telling us anything about.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #472
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Let's stop saying preseason games are reflective of very little then going on to react and make definitive statements about players based on preseason games in the next sentence?
Why would I do that? Because you say so? Yelesin needs seasoning imo. You don’t agree? I’ve been anti-Stone for the last couple of seasons. Pre-season or not.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #473
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I don't know how this team could possibly think that about themselves, considering the way they had their asses handed to them in last year's playoffs.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. We're only halfway through preseason and the Flames essentially iced their B team tonight. Also most of the vets won't really bring the goods until the puck drops on October 3rd. I think we'll see the young guys get at least one more good look in the back-to-back against Winnipeg, and then we'll finally see the A squad for the final two preseason games.

Only thing I'm really worried about at the moment is that we might not have Tkachuk for the start of the season.
My concern is that they just think they have to make up for the playoffs, thinking it's already a given they will get there. An over confidence that they are a playoff team.
That could lead to a slow start, them saying oh there's plenty of time and they never get to the level that's needed to be a playoff team.

They should not take anything for granted.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 09-21-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #474
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but of all the PTOs, Zack Rinaldo might be the most consistently noticeable player for me. Although I think McDonald has the best chance to land a contract. Reider looks pretty polished out there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #475
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought Mangiapane looked great out there for his first go round. Great wheels and quickness. An attacking mentality. Hopefully that portends to a breakout year!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #476
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I thought Mangiapane looked great out there for his first go round. Great wheels and quickness. An attacking mentality. Hopefully that portends to a breakout year!
Yes I thought this too. He was noticable in a positive way last night.

Others I liked included Bennett, who I thought was the best Flame on the ice, and I also thought Rinaldo was quite good. Noticed a lot of really good play from Dube too and thought he helped himself again last night.

Players I thought were okay were Frolik and Backlund.

A lot of others were a bit of a disappointment for me actually. Lindholm was completely invisible. Hamonic and especially Hanifin had some good moments but also some terrible ones. Honestly all of the D struggled at times. I liked Yelesin's work ethic and compete but he also.had some plays where I thought he could have/should have been better.

For me though it was Jankowski who struggled the most (other than Gillies) He looked slow and passive and had no timing with the puck or his passing. Hope he finds his stride here again very soon.

The team really did play well the first half of the game and deserved to be up 2-1. That extended 5 on 3 really changed the momentum of the game for both teams, and with Edmonton starting to push, and with Gillies letting in a couple of bad goals, the game quickly got away on them.

I voted that none of the PTO's would make the team, but I could definitely see Rinaldo make it. He's been a consistent bright spot through camp so far IMO.

Last edited by Brad Marsh; 09-21-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #477
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pure superstition but I want the team to lose a few in the preseason. Teams that do well in the preseason rarely do well in the regular season.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #478
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Post-game commenta from Peters: https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/pos...092/c-69024903

Sorry I can't remember how to embed the video clip but link should work.

Nothing too interesting until the end of the clip where he's talking about the defence and he mentions that there are 3 guys battling for 2 spots. He then says that if you start Andy in the 3 pair on the right side then you're looking for a partner for Andy.

I wonder if I am misunderstanding what he said or if he's counting MacDonald as one of his top 5?
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #479
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I was 100% certain that they would sign MacDonald when the PTO was announced. Nothing seen or heard thus far has changed that opinion.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #480
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Maybe Peters was referring to Rasmus? I can’t see MacDonald being pencilled in anywhere, he’s a spare part if anything.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post: