Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 10:23 PM   #1221
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lol..

Lol.

"I'm walking 20 miles, I can't do it."

"Thats a long walk dude, congrats!"
Old 07-18-2020, 01:37 AM   #1222
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things heating up in Portland tonight, cops should be out to disperse the crowds shortly.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:58 AM   #1223
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
This is mostly true, but the video speaks more to the greater problem - the belief that masks will "kill you in your own carbon monoxide (wtf)", the belief that masks are a political statement, the belief that masks are being forced on people by the left. Needless to say, the people willing to get violent about masks are probably not wearing masks when they're in enclosed spaces and unable to physically distance.

I wonder what the statistics are of health workers and in particular, surgeons, succumbing to carbon monoxide poison during surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 03:27 AM   #1224
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Calgary is the Utah of Canadian politics. Reddest of red and some really crazy views on certain issues.
Haha...Mmmmmkay
Old 07-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #1225
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I wonder what the statistics are of health workers and in particular, surgeons, succumbing to carbon monoxide poison during surgery.
Unless they're performing surgery in the back of a running car in a closed garage, I'd guess the rate is 0%.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:31 AM   #1226
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Unless they're performing surgery in the back of a running car in a closed garage, I'd guess the rate is 0%.
#### you, you mask wearing communist. As a god loving and loved by god free man on this land, I have the right not to wear a mask. You know how they call it a novel coronavirus... Novels are made up stories, just like the virus is made up by the FAKE news media. Sad.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #1227
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have told them that they are not allowed to wear masks and the government wants to take them away.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #1228
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So there's a video making rounds on my friends group and social circle with the WH Press Secretary saying that "science shouldn't get in the way of re-opening schools". I think this was a brain fart by her, and she meant to say "fear" or "lack of science" or something else. Why do I think that? Because the next sentence she says out loud she claims that in other countries the science backs up re-opening. But all the videos are edited to just show that one part of her talk.

Like, I get it. This woman is a shill for a liar. And she's a feckless minion. But this is how you become no better than fox news and OAN. This is how you lose credibility . I cant stand this woman or the horses ass she works for. But either we're honest on the left or we're just a different team with different ideas and willing to do whatever and say whatever to get our stuff thru.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #1229
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So there's a video making rounds on my friends group and social circle with the WH Press Secretary saying that "science shouldn't get in the way of re-opening schools". I think this was a brain fart by her, and she meant to say "fear" or "lack of science" or something else. Why do I think that? Because the next sentence she says out loud she claims that in other countries the science backs up re-opening. But all the videos are edited to just show that one part of her talk.

Like, I get it. This woman is a shill for a liar. And she's a feckless minion. But this is how you become no better than fox news and OAN. This is how you lose credibility . I cant stand this woman or the horses ass she works for. But either we're honest on the left or we're just a different team with different ideas and willing to do whatever and say whatever to get our stuff thru.
As the science is clear, opening schools will kill people, parents teachers aunties and uncles, even some kids no she didn't misspeak, listening to science would get in the way of opening schools and Trump wants to open schools and everything else no matter how many Americans die, he doesn't care, his reelection is more important than a thousand or a hundred thousand or a million dead, its all a price worth paying as he doesn't have to pay it.

No she was being quite clear and truthful when she said science shouldn't get in the way of Trump's plan to get re-elected, and if a few hundred thousand people die? well eff 'em, they're mostly poor and black he don't care, they ain't really American anyway in his world.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #1230
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the science is at all settled on what to do with kids and school AFC. It's not just as simple as keep them at home. Who looks after the kids then? Who looks after the children of health care workers?
Old 07-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #1231
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Trump has tweeted at least 30 times this morning, and of course not a single word about John Lewis' passing.

Edit:

Hey, look at that. He finally said something.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1284549896389955585

Last edited by direwolf; 07-18-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #1232
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Maybe he shouldn't have.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #1233
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You think it was a brain fart? Did she correct her comments then?
Old 07-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #1234
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You think it was a brain fart? Did she correct her comments then?
If you watch her whole video I think it's safe to say she believes the science supports re-opening. The next sentence she utters is about a study and it being safe for kids, and how it's less lethal than the common flu for children (which is true).

This isn't a choice between children going to school or putting them in a force field or a star trek holodeck. They gotta go somewhere. And therein lies the complication of countervailing interests and concerns.

Last edited by White Out 403; 07-18-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #1235
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1284565978391642113
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #1236
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you watch her whole video I think it's safe to say she believes the science supports re-opening. The next sentence she utters is about a study and it being safe for kids, and how it's less lethal than the common flu for children (which is true).

This isn't a choice between children going to school or putting them in a force field or a star trek holodeck. They gotta go somewhere. And therein lies the complication of countervailing interests and concerns.
The problem is that she's talking about other countries that have either flattened the curve or are covid-free, saying that if they can do it in other countries, then they can do it in the U.S. But unfortunately it's an entirely different story in the States, where only certain regions would actually be able to re-open safely.

And she didn't just have a brain fart. We all know exactly what she meant by her comment, as she's a proven liar who is stumping for another proven liar who refuses to listen to his own health officials or scientists, and just flat our refuses to acknowledge that the virus is out of control down there. The only reason why the Trump administration wants schools to reopen so badly is because it sends parents back to work, gets the economy moving, and gives Trump a batter chance at reelection. End of story.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...open-fall.html

Quote:
Experts agree that most of the U.S., where cases of the coronavirus are increasing, is not ready. But in places with low community transmission and intensive testing and contact tracing, schools could safely reopen if certain measures are put into place and proper funding is provided, experts told Live Science.
Quote:
But right now, most states are not at safe levels to reopen schools, which would mean having regular and frequent testing (especially on college campuses), a less than 1% positive test rate in a community, and the ability to immediately relay test results, contact trace and isolate infected people and people they came in contact with, Reiss said. The U.S. is logging record numbers of new coronavirus cases and hospitals across several states, including Florida and Texas, are overwhelmed.

"I don't foresee the greater Houston [or] Miami schools reopening anytime soon," Reiss said. In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced today (July 17) that schools can only open for in-person classes if they meet certain criteria for case counts and hospital availability, meaning that the majority of counties in the state will not be able to start school in person in the fall.
In these places, "it's not safe for the children, not safe for family, teachers, custodians, the schoolbus personnel and all of the other ancillary individuals that are involved," to reopen schools, Reiss said.
Quote:
Dr. Matthew Heinz, a hospital physician and internist in Arizona, agrees. "I think that everybody wants to get it to a point where we can safely get the kids back physically into the classrooms," he said. But "I do not believe that we are in a position where we can safely consider opening up schools for in-person education."

"The countries where this was done followed very strict and specific safety protocols to reopen their schools; they had dedicated funding for making sure that the kids were spaced properly," he said.
Quote:
Reopening schools in the U.S. "should not even be considered if the surrounding area is just completely uncontrolled" in terms of community spread, Heinz told Live Science. "We have seen tragically heartbreaking results of forcing states to open just because we don't want there to be a pandemic."
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #1237
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Claiming that countries which opened schools have made significant special arrangements and have extra funding is mostly kind of BS.

Sure, countries like Finland like to talk about "special arrangements", but ask any kid, and the reality is there is no way kids could or would practice social distancing in schools, and the extra measures are mostly just increased handwashing. Schools just don't have the kind of space social distancing would require. No country builds their schools with that much extra space, and no country has the massive amount of extra teachers that would be necessary if you tried bringing the kids in at varying times. Besides, constantly being in the same room with the same people means you're going to get exposed to any airborne viruses pretty much regardless of distance.

That said, kids don't seem to spread the virus much, to each other or to adults. That's the real reason schools have been opening up. The talk of extra measures is just to calm the parents and the teachers.

Of course, the US is not like most countries when it comes to covid-19 right now.

Sometimes a rambling crazy person like Trump might accidentally be correct about something. Opening up schools in the US too might not be a bad idea. Or at least it's not IMO an obviously terrible idea.

Last edited by Itse; 07-18-2020 at 02:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #1238
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty sure if teachers tell students to keep their masks on, they will. If not, when the kid has to get sent home early, the inconvenienced parents will surely reinforce the idea of wearing a mask.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #1239
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine this gets removed once the band or their label puts the claim in, but if it weren't clear before Trump is gonna go hardcore on fear mongering...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1284586459358466048
Old 07-18-2020, 03:08 PM   #1240
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am pretty sure if teachers tell students to keep their masks on, they will. If not, when the kid has to get sent home early, the inconvenienced parents will surely reinforce the idea of wearing a mask.
Kids spend way too much time in classrooms with each other to make masks that useful, and you're not going to get them to use the masks properly (not touching them etc.) for that long anyway. It just takes more focus than people have. Even health-care professionals don't normally wear masks all the time.

Israel is I think the only country that requires kids to wear masks in class. It's not really worth the effort. In some countries/schools they're worn in hallways etc, which is not completely unreasonable.

(I just came back from a vacation with a statistician who helped do the math for Finnish government about mask use this spring. He told me the data says (not 100% scientifically confirmed of course, do not consider this confirmed information!), masks are useful for short term use, situations where the time of exposure and required time of use is limited. Using them while grocery shopping, in public transport etc. makes sense. If you try to use them constantly, they're just as likely to increase exposure.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread