Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #181
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
A slap is the least of what many parents need.

This season I experienced first hand the stupidity that is "sports parent".

A 43 I no longer engage in street fights, however, I considered making an exception.
If you're getting that upset, maybe you need to look in the mirror.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:43 PM   #182
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Have you been to a minor hockey game lately? There's some in every crowd and my Sister In Law is one of them. Loud, obnoxious whiney voice, will not shut up (mostly yelling non sense), still after 10 plus years doesn't know the rules of the game , is a very poor sport, only half pays attention etc... Really she is the greatest person I know away from hockey but I cannot sit and watch anywhere near her.

There are also parents who just like to stir it up in the stands yelling at the Refs, the kids, the coaches, other parents, it can be very easy to get up set when watching kids play hockey, because unfortunately not everyone is there to simply watch and enjoy the game.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 01-19-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #183
mhsyyc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This whole thread makes me happy my kid is done with hockey. Lots of fun times watching him but the adults just ruin the experience for so many of the kids. Plus, now that he's not all worried about the flow he actually gets his hair cut regularly.
mhsyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #184
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

in some ways i feel i am gettign short changed on the whole minor hockey expereince, as i have yet to witness any real drama on the teams my son has played for.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #185
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
2008 birth year will be the youngest.
#### me in the Tamagochi I'm old...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #186
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I will send you a PM and you can let me know how you would respond.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 01-20-2015 at 09:51 AM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #187
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
#### me in the Tamagochi I'm old...

hahahahaha oh wait you are serious, you have no clue.....

Quote:
Old 01-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #188
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Have you been to a minor hockey game lately?

There are also parents who just like to stir it up in the stands yelling at the Refs, the kids, the coaches, other parents, it can be very easy to get up set when watching kids play hockey, because unfortunately not everyone is there to simply watch and enjoy the game.
I watched 12 minor hockey games this weekend.

I'm not sure how things are done where you live. But in most places, there is a zero tolerance for any abuse of officials, players, or coaches. I witnessed the worst officiating I have ever seen in my live this weekend. The kid didn't have a clue what he was doing. No one yelled at him or threatened him, most people just got a good laugh out of it.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #189
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think there is a spring league for kids that young anyway. Put him in a hockey school this summer. The one thing we have done the last two years with our son in Red Deer, is put him in a Can Power Skate camp for two weeks in September. That gets him into the grove before evaluations start in October. We also use Val Norrie Power Skating once a week throughout the season.
Nice to hear Val is still doing power skating.

I grew up in Red Deer and probably used her for skating some 17 years ago.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #190
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Nice to hear Val is still doing power skating.

I grew up in Red Deer and probably used her for skating some 17 years ago.

Apparently, she is easier than she used to be, that being said she is still awesome.

Perfect for my daughter to see a female skate so well. It removes any excuses, and I love seeing my son struggle with the concept of a strong women.

I would kill for a 10th of her skating skills.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #191
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Apparently, she is easier than she used to be, that being said she is still awesome.

Perfect for my daughter to see a female skate so well. It removes any excuses, and I love seeing my son struggle with the concept of a strong women.

I would kill for a 10th of her skating skills.
I used to the dread the sessions I would have with her because she would work my ass off.

But I love it now because I am such a better skater and when I play beer league I can skate quite well with minimal effort.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #192
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been a high-level Bantam coach for the last 6 years (taking a break this season). My 2 cents:

- Spring hockey can go either way. If the kid wants to do it, I say go for it. I wouldn't push them that way if want to do other things. Doing another sport combined with some summer training/skating can do wonders. I suggest Lacrosse for something with intensity and contact, also great for conditioning and positonal play (although it's closer to basketball in that regard). Soccer is great for hockey skills/IQ as well (the game flows very similarly, although slower). I don't like football because A)injuries are high and B) the season's coincide. But if they want to, go for it. Keep in mind, if the kid is good enough and wants to actually try for high-levels and college, the decision to switch to hockey full-time comes between 13 and 15 years old. Tough choice for a kid. Doesn't mean they can't do other things in the summer, but focus should be their chosen sport.

- +1 for figure skating. Almost any kid that stands out as an agile and deceptive skater tells me they took figure skating as a kid. This includes my younger brother, who is one of the better skaters I've seen. If your kid doesn't like it but wants to improve skaing, a list of NHL players that figure skated is pretty easy to come by and longer than one would think.

- Watch hockey and learn. Watch all levels and compare them to the NHL. Point out minor mistakes and positonal problems with your kid if you can spot them. Watching and critiquing is how you develop IQ for the game.

And to an earlier point. I have never heard of 10 year olds billeting and being gone for an entire season for hockey. Maybe they were trying to sneak a kid into a community organization? Was it for summer hockey? Just seems weird.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #193
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I used to the dread the sessions I would have with her because she would work my ass off.

But I love it now because I am such a better skater and when I play beer league I can skate quite well with minimal effort.
She still works their ass off, but uses more of a velvet glove

Quote:
Old 01-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #194
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Related:

B.C. minor hockey league at its ‘wit’s end’ with crazed parents, threatens to ban spectators altogether

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...rs-altogether/
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #195
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Related:

B.C. minor hockey league at its ‘wit’s end’ with crazed parents, threatens to ban spectators altogether

At my son's midget tier 4 game, there was a parent from the opposition screaming for someone on his kids team to take our captain's head off and teach him a lesson after he laid out a hit. Way too many parents here that are waaay to into the game. I'll never understand adults cheering a devastating hit when it's a 15 year old laying on the ice writhing in pain anther the hit is clean or not
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #196
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I watched 12 minor hockey games this weekend.

I'm not sure how things are done where you live. But in most places, there is a zero tolerance for any abuse of officials, players, or coaches. I witnessed the worst officiating I have ever seen in my live this weekend. The kid didn't have a clue what he was doing. No one yelled at him or threatened him, most people just got a good laugh out of it.

Just heard of a PW asst coach suspended for official abuse, but I've never seen it (I've seen some refs get owly when coaches politely want to ask about a call).

I have bitten my tongue with some parents on my kid's team who not only express frustration with general levels of play ("C'mon team - skate), which I can understand, but criticize individual players (and not even their own kid) and coaches.

But my biggest peeve is cowbells. The CMHA actually has banned noisemakers but some parents didn't get the memo. I was at a timbits game once where some lady had a cowbell and rang it at every save and every goal. There were no actual goalies, so that damned thing was going off every ten seconds. Even now, in PW, there are parents who bring them and will be ringing them for goals in a rout.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #197
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Related:

Not surprised. Watching grown adults act like apes and yell at 13 year olds was one of the reasons I stopped playing hockey earlier than I probably otherwise would have.

Not that a good majority of parents weren't normal respectful people, but a few idiots can completely ruin the atmosphere.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #198
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mom used to yell all the time... But she only ever yelled at me haha.

"SKATE!!" "STICK ON THE ICE"

Helped me remember when I was being lazy haha
Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #199
CalgaryKid
Draft Pick

Hockey Canada has an interesting spring hockey program. More emphases on development and they involve other sports. Also it looks like just one tournament (in town) with games on Sundays through the season. Out of WinSport.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Hoc...hedules#spring
CalgaryKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #200
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My mom used to yell all the time... But she only ever yelled at me haha.

"SKATE!!" "STICK ON THE ICE"

Helped me remember when I was being lazy haha
Don't mind that. It was more like (at not his own kid) "Get up - you're not hurt" or commenting on specific kids' effort. Or there was the time he kept telling his defenceman kid to carry the puck out when the coach had specifically asked the kid to headman the puck out.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: