Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #61
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

My biggest issue re beer isn’t the prices which are normal for big ticket events, but the quality.

Come on, give us an assortment of local choices.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #62
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tkachuk View Post
I refuse to pay 10$ for a god dam beer. They can shove it. I'll go to the games, and buy nothing. It would be great if the fans as a whole boycotted the concessions with the ridiculous prices to send a message.

I agree. This is why I usually watch games at the pub. Better beer and food and I don't get raped in the wallet.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #63
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I agree. This is why I usually watch games at the pub. Better beer and food and I don't get raped in the wallet.
Agreed.

The dining options at the dome are pretty lackluster as well - all the food there is along the lines of "I guess I'll eat that if I'm hungry enough".

It would be nice if they had options for a full meal.

I went to Portland to watch a NBA game at the Moda Center, and they had a ton of great options to eat at.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #64
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
It's the double rye and cokes that reallly add up.
Bring tiny plastic rye bottles. Buy coke at the venue.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #65
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Tell you what: Let's outlaw peanuts altogether. Then 99%+ of the population can lose out so that small minority can completely do away with just one of the innumerable risks and dangers of life. OK with you?
And get rid of the dentists too. Seinfeld knew what he was talking about....
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #66
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

My issue with food at the Dome and many other stadiums in general is not the price of the food but the quality of the food you are getting for that price.

$10 for piss beer is overpriced but I would happily drop $15 for a quality craft beer. It's the same with nachos. $9 for chips and cheese sauce is a rip off but I'd pay twice that for fancy pulled pork nachos with real cheese.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #67
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If it helps, FireGilbert, Dome nachos are better than just about every other stadium I've been to, save for Safeco Field.

Though I still miss the Nachos Grande they used to sell with sour cream, refried beans and guacamole in addition to the cheese and salsa. And it cost less then than regular nachos do now.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #68
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The true measure is how much for a bottle of water.

We pay $5 for dasani at SAP Pavillion.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #69
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Dome food is among the worst iv ever had. And Iv been to a lot of venues.

Baseball games in general have the best food. You can almost always find "real food" at the ballpark.

#### 2 years ago I went to a Panthers game and ate a fresh noodle box. Wok fried to order, it was great!

I dont eat much at hockey games, I prefer to go for a couple beers and an appt before the game and hit a late dinner after.

The beer thing is simple, and all about money. Molson/Bud/labatt offer kickbacks that most local breweries cant or wont. It's a damn shame for the coustomer.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #70
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
#### 2 years ago I went to a Panthers game and ate a fresh noodle box. Wok fried to order, it was great!
Yeah I went to a Panthers-Flames game in 2015 and sat in the ADT Club (now the Club Lexus seats).

For $60 USD a person it was a front row seat on the 2nd level, all you could drink and all you could eat.

And the food was actually good - made to order thin crust pizza and pasta bar, a bunch of other food stations including Asian/Indian cuisine, and all the regular stadium foods including self serve popcorn and malt stations.

Even in the restaurants in the Dome nothing comes close to what I was able to get at the Panthers game that night.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #71
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I went to a Panthers-Flames game in 2015 and sat in the ADT Club (now the Club Lexus seats).

For $60 USD a person it was a front row seat on the 2nd level, all you could drink and all you could eat.

And the food was actually good - made to order thin crust pizza and pasta bar, a bunch of other food stations including Asian/Indian cuisine, and all the regular stadium foods including self serve popcorn and malt stations.

Even in the restaurants in the Dome nothing comes close to what I was able to get at the Panthers game that night.
Its 2 bad theres often no one there to eat it....lol
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #72
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

How has no one yet informed me of the 2018 price of Pocket Dawgs? Its a mandatory stop for me at the few games I see a year
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #73
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Its 2 bad theres often no one there to eat it....lol
It's funny because they actually put a lot of the players wives and friends in that section. And a lot of the Ontario/Eastern Canadian Flames friends and parents made that trip due to the cheap flights down / warm weather / proximity to Disney / etc.

My wife and I ended meeting and chatting with a group of Mark Giordano's childhood friends (Note: He really hates being called a "Pigeon" which is a term him and his friends use to make fun of each other).

They didn't want to use their passes to go down to the meet the team after teh game because "Mark is always way too grumpy after a loss" so they ended up giving us the passes.

In the elevator down we were with TJ Brodie's parents, grandparents, and in-laws - I was wearing a TJ Brodie jersey to the game so we got to hang out with them and they brought us over to TJ to chat with him and got him to sign the jersey.

Overall the trip to Florida for the game was a really cool experience and I would recommend it to anyone. Maybe not a great hockey market but it was a beautiful rink, and I don't think any US market would survive having a bad team for as long as Florida has been bad and still get good attendance.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #74
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

To the people who say "haven't you been to other venues" or, "it's worse in other cities".... so what? Just because other venues gauge doesn't mean it's ok.

I guess people in general are pretty passive. From the gouging at a hockey game to gouging at the gas pump, everyone always says we should boycott, but nobody ever does.

At the end of the day we all complain, but then we all just take it.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #75
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was a bit of an eye opener when I started following soccer in England and saw how their fan bases push back over price increases etc. Such a different attitude towards the business side of sports. It's a bit strange that we all just accept that we are going to be gouged for the maximum amount of money, while the team is also after our tax dollars for a building so they can charge more for tickets.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #76
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
To the people who say "haven't you been to other venues" or, "it's worse in other cities".... so what? Just because other venues gauge doesn't mean it's ok.

I guess people in general are pretty passive. From the gouging at a hockey game to gouging at the gas pump, everyone always says we should boycott, but nobody ever does.

At the end of the day we all complain, but then we all just take it.
But ( in a complete unscientific way) I've noticed that many people that I know have stopped going to the games. The price gouging has hit a point where people just don't think it is worth it. They either watch at a pub/bar of watch at home on their nice screen, eating good food and drinks.

Our family had 4 seasons tickets for years. After a while the entertainment value just wasn't worth the price.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #77
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
The vendors need to push for Tap machines. It's awkward now that it's $21 for two beers.
This was likely by design hoping will either tip the $4 or be too drunk to get the change.

keeping the beers at $9 meant the concourse vendor got a $2.00 tip each time I got 2. now that its $21 I wont be tipping them to pour me a beer.

I'll still tip the dude that has to carry all the beer around though cause they have to work for it and bring it to me.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #78
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
How has no one yet informed me of the 2018 price of Pocket Dawgs? Its a mandatory stop for me at the few games I see a year
$7 for a Cajun fire smokie....
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #79
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
But ( in a complete unscientific way) I've noticed that many people that I know have stopped going to the games. The price gouging has hit a point where people just don't think it is worth it. They either watch at a pub/bar of watch at home on their nice screen, eating good food and drinks.

Our family had 4 seasons tickets for years. After a while the entertainment value just wasn't worth the price.
Yet people are going and people are buying food and drinks.

The law of supply and demand is clearly working because the demand is there.

Remove the demand, and the prices will come down.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #80
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Yet people are going and people are buying food and drinks.

The law of supply and demand is clearly working because the demand is there.

Remove the demand, and the prices will come down.

These days it's more like optimization. They need to be careful on price gouging as there is a tipping point. There are unsold over priced seats for every single game.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote