Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #361
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrestle Kingdom 13 kicks off tonight at 11 PM PST. I won't get to watch it until Saturday, so will have to avoid spoilers but the card looks really good.

Omega/Tanahashi should obviously be an instant classic but Ibushi/Ospreay could easily steal the show.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #362
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I'll say is that Kenny's entrance is awesome.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #363
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wrestlecrap looks back at the horror that was 2018

http://wrestlecrap.com/uncategorized...-in-wrestling/

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #364
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wrestlecrap looks back at the horror that was 2018

http://wrestlecrap.com/uncategorized...-in-wrestling/
they forgot to include the mishandling of the Evolution PPV

for something that was supposed to be revolutionary, they half ass promoted it and booked it
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #365
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm surprised there hasn't been anything really about All Elite Wrestling.

Looking like it might be legitimate competition for WWE. With Cody as an executive vice president, he could be AEW's equivalent of Triple H without the anchor that is Vince McMahon.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #366
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll believe it while I see it, I like Cody Rhodes, but I feel like he's getting overhyped.

I remember when TNA first started up and got the same type of hype, but the problem with them was that Jerry and Jeff Jarrett were running things and it became an instant cringe worthy mess.

I have problems with Wrestlers carrying the book, I've never seen it end well.

Also its not so easy to go against the WWE, if there's any positive if this new group can make things competitive its better for the fans, the WWE hasn't been challenged since the Monday Night Wars. But the WWE has advantages against any startup, in terms of roster strength and infrastructure.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #367
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

True, WWE defininately has the upper hand. I also don't think AEW's immediate play is to position themselves against WWE, but more so to take the share ROH has and NJPW wants to creep in on.

The success of All In is what will propel them to #2 fairly quickly. I do believe they have a strong financial backer (mind you any promotion would be hard pressed to have better financial backing than ROH).

I'm curious to see what Cody can do. He's been gold since he took his own reigns and ran with them.

One of the things that I think they'll need to do is ensure their production is on par. Watching TNA, ROH, NJPW there's something missing. WCW had it, WWE has it, the rest not so much.

I never thought TNA was ever going to be 'competition' for WWE. I'm surprised ROH never made a play. More money than God and a built in TV deal with insane access to the US market at large.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #368
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

AEW has a billionaire and life-long wrestling fan financier who has had a love-in with the indies for years. Tony Khan is no slouch (family owns Fulham in the EPL), and he clearly sees burgeoning growth in the wrestling industry and a spot for a new player.

While I wouldn't assert that they are going to be competitive with WWE for some time, Cody grew up in the business and most likely has incredible industy contacts. Additionally, the Elite has proven to be excellent as self-promotion and marketing outside of a huge corporate machine. This is something I am not sure WWE has been up against before, nor Howard Meij in NJPW.

Cody may not be the best performer, but there is no doubt ALL IN was a massive success and there is an appetite for the Elite to grow their brand. And with Kenny Omega possibly joining the fold (contract in NJPW up next month), that could be huge. This could really damage NJPW's push into North America, or possibly impact ROH (although it is said all three companies are discussing working together).

Then there is the rumors of a TV deal in the works - but that doesn't even really need to happen as most of that brand is followed on social media. They could probably get by with an online show.

Let's not also forget the underrated product that Impact! is pulling out these days, and also have a stacked roster with Johnny Impact, Pentagon Jr. and Fenix (the latter two of which WWE tried to poach).

Interesting times in the world of professional wrestling.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #369
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

ROH might be owned by Sinclair, but they're not getting the type of backing that AEW is getting (rumoured to be $100M). I don't think they see themselves as a direct competitor to WWE. What they will do is position themselves to capture wrestling fans like me, who have pretty much given up on WWE and its brand of entertainment, which is clearly geared towards young kids and families.

AEW is going to be for mature fans who watch wrestling to see good wrestling and not get bogged down by the sports entertainment nonsense that WWE puts out.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #370
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

On another note, I thought Wrestle Kingdom was good but not great. Ospreay/Ibushi, Omega/Tanahashi, Okada/White, Bushi/Ishimori, and Naito/Jericho all delivered, but some of the other matches felt kind of rushed. Apparently it was the shortest WK in history and it felt like it.

Going to be interesting to see the direction New Japan takes in the next few months as they're entering a bit of a rebuild with The Elite leaving and Okada seemingly being pushed down the card a bif. I'm not really sold on Jay White as the face of the new era but they still have a lot of talent on that roster and it'll just be a matter of who steps up. Would love to see Sanada get a big singles push.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #371
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Having Tanahashi win the title is like having John Cena win it again and take back the "Ace" status. I am not sure this is a good move, and I am really questioning Meij's tenure so far. That said, NJPW is still a great product to watch.

In the potential absense of Kenny, NJPW in 2019 should be pushing LIJ to the moon. Naito needs to win the title from Tanahashi at some point this year (maybe at Dominion), and Sanada needs a great singles run. Not sold on Jay White either, personally I think Tama Tonga should be pushed as a massive heel if they're going to pick a gaijin to do so.

Additionally, I am baffled as to how Minoru Suzuki is not getting main event matches; dude is incredibly over in both Japan and the U.S. and has charisma through the moon. The U.S. crowds sing Kaze Ni Nare at his matches, that's nuts!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #372
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Speaking about NJPW, KUSHIDA is coming to WWE. Contract with New Japan expires at the end of the month.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #373
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Omega has also said he's leaving NJPW but it could also be a work.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #374
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Kushida is official to WWE yet. Who knows what Omega's plan is, as well; I suspect he's WWE bound. Also, WWE has interest in Sanada, apparently.

WWE raiding all the NJPW talent (for better or worse)...
Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #375
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Kenny either re-signs with NJPW or goes to AEW. The guy values creativity too much to just become another cog in the WWE machine.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #376
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I still think Kenny either re-signs with NJPW or goes to AEW. The guy values creativity too much to just become another cog in the WWE machine.
I hope he re-signs with NJPW. I don't want that company to suffer, they're the best wrestling fed on the planet IMO. Although, Kenny's has mentioned in the past that he'd like to face AJ in the WWE.

Quote:
"The main reason I would go to WWE is because I would love to have a match against AJ Styles at WrestleMania. If I’m being truthful, before AJ hangs it up, and before I start to degenerate as an athlete, I really want to have a big match with him on the biggest stage possible, so that is a career goal of mine."

-Kenny Omega in an interview with Meltzer and Alvarez 2017
That said, he does value creativity... WWE wouldn't give that to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #377
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I wonder if Kushida is official to WWE yet. Who knows what Omega's plan is, as well; I suspect he's WWE bound. Also, WWE has interest in Sanada, apparently.

WWE raiding all the NJPW talent (for better or worse)...
Sanada and Almas on Smackdown doing Tranquillo . . . I can get behind that.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #378
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1082337479905157126

Old 01-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #379
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Old 01-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #380
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ozy/Muta, do either of you have experience attending an NJPW show live? What seats would you recommend (looks like ringside is already sold out)? Other thoughts? I'm going to be in Tokyo from Jan. 29th - Feb. 5th and I'm debating if it's worth catching a flight to Sapporo for New Beginning on Feb. 2nd. I'd likely go up on the 1st and come back to Tokyo on the 3rd. My concerns are a) price (will likely add another $250 - $300 to my trip) and b) not having enough time to really explore Tokyo.