From 6 to midnight.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #382
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Disagree, that area of town could use something a little bolder. This isn’t some culturally rich, old neighbourhood that you to preserve some character and keeping it ultra low key. It’s less then a half a decade removed from being empty parking lots and abandoned light industrial buildings from the 50s or earlier, where the back alleys where the most popular places with drug users and hookers for the last 3 decades. Now it’s Vancouver style glass condos and chain but don’t call them chain coffee shops in the lower levels.

Doesn’t have to be something off the wall, but it should look like an arena and a civic centerpiece, not a wing of a modern rec center.

Also, always hoped the Honeycombs would play Calgary,and if these renderings are true, wont be long now. Just need someone to pay for it.
I disagree - I think that cantelevered roof line is striking in itself and the glass invites you to see the activity within the building. The best practice from successfully building around sports facilities, even in quite blank slate redevelopment contexts has been baseball. They are not crazy buildings on their exterior facade. Integration with planned surroundings is a paramount principle. The best examples are places like AT&T Park in San Francisco or Petco Park in San Diego. Very similar contexts in their cities.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #383
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I disagree - I think that cantelevered roof line is striking in itself and the glass invites you to see the activity within the building. The best practice from successfully building around sports facilities, even in quite blank slate redevelopment contexts has been baseball. They are not crazy buildings on their exterior facade. Integration with planned surroundings is a paramount principle. The best examples are places like AT&T Park in San Francisco or Petco Park in San Diego. Very similar contexts in their cities.
Agreed. I’ve been to many massive arenas and stadiums that walking around 3/4 of them is just blank walls, loading bays and blank steel fire rated exit doors.

I haven’t been to Rogers in Edmonton and definitely won’t ever be going but from Sportsnets fascination with overplayed drone cam footage every time they play it looks like most of the interface with the street is uninviting. I should look it up on street view.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #384
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I hope the inverted bowl concept is a go. Really a unique design for the building. Match it up with the wood/timber esthetic suggested by some, the building could become an impressive show piece. Would really be nice to see something completely different than the urinal up in Shelbyville. Come on Calgary, get er done!
Yep, I gotta say, having been in Rogers lots of times, it’s not that impressive a building for all the hoopla and taxpayer cash give away. The acoustics are way better than Rexall and the vending is marginally faster (with no improvement in food quality) but they still insist on decanting every drink into plastic cups (even bottled water, ffs) and there’s no cup holders in the upper bowl. Restrooms are a long walk and the aisle dividers mess with sight lines. It seems the only concern of the client was the loge seats and the private boxes. Naturally enough, I guess, peons be damned. Calgary should shoot far higher, and design the building with the average (well monied) fan in mind.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #385
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
If the Victoria Park option is back on, it means CSEC blinked and the west-end CalgaryNext is dead? So they're not getting the Katz deal?
Next was DOA (more accurately it was dead even before arrival). It was never an option. Vic Park was the only spot the city would get on board with.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:58 AM   #386
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Agreed. I’ve been to many massive arenas and stadiums that walking around 3/4 of them is just blank walls, loading bays and blank steel fire rated exit doors.

I haven’t been to Rogers in Edmonton and definitely won’t ever be going but from Sportsnets fascination with overplayed drone cam footage every time they play it looks like most of the interface with the street is uninviting. I should look it up on street view.
Spoiler alert, it looks like the departures level of the least used terminal at a midsized international airport.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:34 AM   #387
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So the short answer is no. Is being an early adopter for a new design like this a good thing?

I've sold inverted bowls to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by gum I've put them on the map!
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:19 AM   #388
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

What does "inverted bowl" mean?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #389
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
It's a Rossetti arena concept that stacks a bunch of smaller balcony levels on top of each other instead of a single larger upper bowl. That way the upper rows are a little higher up, but also, a lot closer on the horizontal plane, to the rink. There's a good animation on their website demonstrating the idea. http://theinvertedbowl.com/.

Always a risk being the first to try something, but at the very least, they can more efficiently distribute bathrooms this way.

Last edited by NiklasSundblad; 10-06-2018 at 07:32 AM.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiklasSundblad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #390
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post

RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #391
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I imagine if the Flames/City went with Rossetti, they could get a pretty good deal. Got to think there would be a pretty big discount to be one of the early adapters of their product
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #392
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

One question - where is the broadcast booth in this this type of concept? Also, the boxes?

Last edited by Bunk; 10-06-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #393
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting reading in the Rossetti article that the inverted design has a significantly smaller footprint, uses 22% less steel and is cheaper to heat. Sounds like it could be a win win for an arena that is both cheaper and more functional. And way cool
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #394
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

More concourses equal a ten fold increase in the number of dodge rams on display.....

That looks like a very cool concept.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #395
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
One question - where is the broadcast booth in this this type of concept? Also, the boxes?
In the one rendering it looks like there are suites halfway up the lower bowl (the stairs go past them and have seats on top of them. Kind of a 'soft separation' of levels by the looks of it.

Then I imagine a couple (or a few) of the balcony sections would be devoted to club seats as well.

I think in theory the idea is pretty damn cool, but it's something where the more I look at it the more skeptical I become. Seems like a great way to maximize premium seating and really price people out (even moreso than a new building with a more traditional layout).

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I imagine if the Flames/City went with Rossetti, they could get a pretty good deal. Got to think there would be a pretty big discount to be one of the early adapters of their product

There isn't much to be saved from the architect's fee I imagine, any savings there would be eaten up pretty quick with potential construction overruns from dealing with the building and engineering of a new style. The savings would come from the reduction in build material needed for the smaller footprint.

Last edited by Roughneck; 10-06-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #396
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where are the so-called “cheap seats” in this design? Looks like you get a few rows per level at best. Unless the bottom bowl is huge.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #397
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Where are the so-called “cheap seats” in this design? Looks like you get a few rows per level at best. Unless the bottom bowl is huge.
Oh, when theres a new arena there arent going to be any 'cheap seats' anymore...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #398
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasSundblad View Post
Spoiler alert, it looks like the departures level of the least used terminal at a midsized international airport.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
I think Rogers looks like a flashy new running shoe design and material wrapped around a toilet seat.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 10-06-2018 at 11:17 AM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #399
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Arena Negotiation Discussion v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
And Rogers looks like a flashy new running shoe design and material wrapped around a toilet seat. Which do you prefer as a preliminary?
NiklasSundblad is talking about Rogers Place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #400
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Where are the so-called “cheap seats” in this design?
They are going to be the ones in your living room.

That's the double edged sword with new arenas. They are built to maximize revenue, which will inevitably price out a lot of people. Chances are people will go to fewer games, but have it be more of an "experience" when they do.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: