Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #361
JJsChaos
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm a little concerned about Baertschi's mental toughness and compete level. He should be head and shoulders better than most the competition out there. He should be leading by example for our younger prospects.

I watched him a few times in Abbotsford last year and it was the same thing. It looked like he was having a big pout out there. If it was based off of effort level (in the games that I watched) he should have never been called up.

JJsChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJsChaos For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #362
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For the talk about Baertschi and him not being dominant, I really would not worry about it at all.

I am not sure if anyone watched him with Portland/AHL, but I saw a few games where he looked very average. He isn't huge, he doesn't have an incredible shot, and he isn't the fastest guy. What he does do however is he wins battles in the corner, has excellent vision as well as excellent puck possession skills. Those are not eye popping skills but if you watch a game he usually isn't the guy you notice.

However when you look at the score sheet often times he has a goal and a couple assists by the end of the night. He isn't a dazzler but he can control the pace of play with his possession and has the ability to find the open guy.
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #363
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
hey guys

just got home and had a chance to go thru some pics.... enjoy....

This one is awesome. Looks like a conga line.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #364
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
For the talk about Baertschi and him not being dominant, I really would not worry about it at all.

I am not sure if anyone watched him with Portland/AHL, but I saw a few games where he looked very average. He isn't huge, he doesn't have an incredible shot, and he isn't the fastest guy. What he does do however is he wins battles in the corner, has excellent vision as well as excellent puck possession skills. Those are not eye popping skills but if you watch a game he usually isn't the guy you notice.

However when you look at the score sheet often times he has a goal and a couple assists by the end of the night. He isn't a dazzler but he can control the pace of play with his possession and has the ability to find the open guy.
I don't think you can use performance in the WHL as a indicator for performance in the NHL. They are two very different leagues with very different levels of play. Very average players can have excellent WHL careers and completely fizzle out in the NHL. One name that comes to mind is Brad Moran. Same size, same sort of player, however never got off the ground in the NHL. Had an amazing WHL career, solid AHL career, talents didn't translate to the NHL at all.

I agree with JJsChaos, the kid has some sort of entitlement issue where he thinks he deserves better then he is getting and doesn't work as hard as the other rookies. He's been told by fans and management he's the next big thing, it's gone to his head and he doesn't work for anything because he expects it. Based on last night, I'd rather seen Reinhart or Grandlund get his spot on the opening night roster in Calgary as a very clear message from Management that this half-assing in Development Camps and Prospect Tourneys doesn't fly.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #365
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
I don't think you can use performance in the WHL as a indicator for performance in the NHL. They are two very different leagues with very different levels of play. Very average players can have excellent WHL careers and completely fizzle out in the NHL. One name that comes to mind is Brad Moran. Same size, same sort of player, however never got off the ground in the NHL. Had an amazing WHL career, solid AHL career, talents didn't translate to the NHL at all.

I agree with JJsChaos, the kid has some sort of entitlement issue where he thinks he deserves better then he is getting and doesn't work as hard as the other rookies. He's been told by fans and management he's the next big thing, it's gone to his head and he doesn't work for anything because he expects it. Based on last night, I'd rather seen Reinhart or Grandlund get his spot on the opening night roster in Calgary as a very clear message from Management that this half-assing in Development Camps and Prospect Tourneys doesn't fly.
You got all that from one game in a prospects tournament?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #366
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
You got all that from one game in a prospects tournament?
Everything over the past year. AHL, NHL, Development Camp and Prospects Tourney. Look at his performance after the NHL demotion. Look at the entire Development Camp. He even said that the Development Camp meant nothing to him, he only cares about the main camp. His actions backed it up.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #367
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post

I don't understand your point here, from watching about 10WHL games, 5 AHL games, and 15ish NHL games, I have noticed these things. Compared to one game in the prospects tourney?

As for the Brad Moran comparison, are you crazy? You are comparing a top 15 pick (Baertschi) to a 7th round pick (Moran)?

You are comparing a guy with 8 total NHL games in his career, to a guy who has 25 games as a 19 year old and averages half a point a game.

Moran played his overage season in the WHL, then stepped into the AHL and couldn't put up a half a point a game, Baertschi was a point a game player as a 19 year old in the AHL that was filled with NHL talent due to the lockout.

Not sure how you came up with Moran as a comparison, but Baertschi had almost the same career as Moran in the NHL when he was an emergency call up.

Yes there is a chance that Baertschi may not become a star in the NHL, but from everything I have read (Herald, THN, assorted websites) from interviews (Hartley, Feaster, scouts) they all say Baertschi is/was one of the hardest workers on the Flames last year and in Portland. Yeah he was probably upset he was relegated to the fourth line after 5 games last year, and was probably pissed that he was sent down, but that is becuase he thinks he can play with the big boys, not because he has any sort of attitude issues. I would rather him get pissed, then sit around and mope and collect a pay cheque.
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dienasty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #368
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Ramage.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #369
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought Monahan was invisible early on, but completely turned that around later in the game. Mostly cause he was reading better off Poirier and not trying to do things by himself (earlier resulting in giveaways) then in the third he made that fantastic defensive play in front of the net, too.

I'm trying to keep in mind that the team just assembled the day before, and probably practiced once together that day. First game. Some guys are going to get into the groove again quicker than others. Should be good to see who steps up in games 2 and 3.

Also, I think they need to play Granlund and Sven together. They had incredible chemistry in the development camps, it was pretty easy to see. F###n love Granlund, though. He'll end up the Flames' scoring leader in the tourney, pretty sure. Guy's got a wicked shot.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-06-2013 at 01:37 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #370
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also I think Poirier could push for a spot on the team in 14/15 along with Johnny Hockey.

His aggressiveness, speed and size (6'2) could really advance him quickly.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #371
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-Sneezy View Post
i much prefer watching 1 6 second play every minute by teams i have zero affiliation to.

I love Canadian NFL fans.
I have the same problem with Canadians who says they love football and then only watch CFL and dog on the NFL.

It's such an ignorant thing, because if you were a football fan, then you would watch both.

I love most sports and have no problems watching teams I'm not affiliated to because I'm a fan.

So by your logic people in Calgary shouldn't watch the Stanley Cup playoffs unless the Flames are in it, because we don't have an affiliation to other teams - We only have an affiliation to Calgary.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #372
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Only one fight? Not enough truculence.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #373
oilfanforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Just as kind of an aside, it seems like most people were semi-disappointed with the players they assumed would dominate. Maybe that's a little bit more telling of our expectations rather than the actual performances of said players.
3 year ago, when Hall, Eberle and MPS where there for the Oilers, MPS was by far the best player for the Oilers at the tournament. We all know how that turned out.
oilfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilfanforever For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #374
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Is the Ferland fight posted anywhere? I can't find it. I love the way that kid scraps.
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , haha stupid oilers , oilers suck , tyler bunz of steel