Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Public Relations People! CPRS or IABC?

Hey everyone. I'm looking to join one of these two associations as I begin my career in PR. I've heard they are mostly similar, but can anyone offer any insight to what the differences between them are? Is one more of a younger demographic than the other?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Nick
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I've been a member of IABC for the past few years and let my membership lapse in November after going freelance. If it wasn't paid for by my employer before I would have let it lapse sooner.

My experience is that you only get something out of these associations when you actively participate in them. Attend networking events, workshops and seminars. Make the most of what you're spending on dues.

I think it could also be a great way for new grads to meet more experienced professionals if you make an effort to participate. Volunteer at events or join committees. It's a good way to get your name known to people that might be in a position to hire you.

I don't really know how it could advance the career of a middle to senior level professional that real experience and employment couldn't. You don't have to pass a test to get in and if all you have to do is pay a yearly fee without renewing your credentials, it really is just a club. You will occasionally see job listings requiring you to be a member of IABC or CPRS but they are few and far between.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I wouldn't bother. I was in investor relations/corporate communications for five years and always had a chuckle at the IABC crowd - all my university friends that were unemployed at the time were members. All the people with actual work to do in the industry didn't have the time for those associations. I doubt anything his changed in the five years I've been out of the industry.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote