Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #1001
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it sacrilegious to say pressure cooker and then finish off on the grill?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #1002
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throw them in a dutch oven or slow cooker with a beer and BBQ sauce. I use about 500ml and a beer for 1 rack. Give it 6 or so hours. Pull the ribs out(they will be near falling off the bone), reduce the sauce, then finish them over medium heat, basting often with the sauce. Takes about 30 min.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #1003
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
What's everyone's best method for cooking fall off the bone ribs? I've tried a bunch of different ways and I can never get that fall off the bone, perfectly juicy cook to them.

I'm not picky on pork vs beef, I have a sauce that I love to put on towards the very end of the cook and I have a good bbq setup (a 4 burner propane bbq and a traegar smoker).

Teach me your ways!
3-2-1 straight up is the best for what you're looking for.

3hrs straight 225-230 degree smoke
Wrap in butcher paper or foil (preference) for 2 hours in same heat
Unwrap, sauce to preference and on flame to crisp up or caramelize for up to 1 hr (I find this is more like a 20 minute stage)

That's for side ribs, some people say back ribs are a bit different and will do 2-2-1

There's always the debate for wrapped vs unwrapped and it's not even close for me, wrap gets you that juicy tender rib. I've done both in the same batch, same ribs, and its the best

I haven't done beef ribs so you'll have to look some of that up
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #1004
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
3-2-1 straight up is the best for what you're looking for.

3hrs straight 225-230 degree smoke
Wrap in butcher paper or foil (preference) for 2 hours in same heat
Unwrap, sauce to preference and on flame to crisp up or caramelize for up to 1 hr (I find this is more like a 20 minute stage)

That's for side ribs, some people say back ribs are a bit different and will do 2-2-1

There's always the debate for wrapped vs unwrapped and it's not even close for me, wrap gets you that juicy tender rib. I've done both in the same batch, same ribs, and its the best

I haven't done beef ribs so you'll have to look some of that up
3-2-1 all day every day.
I've done 2 batches now this way, both competition style and had family tell me they were the best they've ever had.

The 2nd time I ended up doing 2-2-30/mins and they turned out a lot juicier and tender but both times were solid. (back ribs)
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #1005
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yup, 3-2-1 is what I use.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #1006
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Yup, 3-2-1 is what I use.
I used 3-2-1 on the weekend for the first time on the weekend. I found the ribs tasty but they were not fall off the bone. Could it have been that they were not wrapped properly in the foil? They were back ribs.

I have a Bradley smoker.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #1007
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure I've ever had smoked ribs that fall off the bone like a dutch oven or slow cooker can do. Bonus is all the fat also comes off, so you end up with almost all meat, which is great for fussy eaters. I forgot to mention, but before reducing the sauce you skim all the fat off the top.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #1008
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I used 3-2-1 on the weekend for the first time on the weekend. I found the ribs tasty but they were not fall off the bone. Could it have been that they were not wrapped properly in the foil? They were back ribs.

I have a Bradley smoker.
When i used my bradley for 3-2-1 ribs i found opening and closing the door to foil let out too much heat and it was a lot of foiling w/ getting the ribs to fit on the racks so it took longer

Moving to a pellet smoker made making ribs much more enjoyable
Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #1009
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure I've ever had smoked ribs that fall off the bone like a dutch oven or slow cooker can do. Bonus is all the fat also comes off, so you end up with almost all meat, which is great for fussy eaters. I forgot to mention, but before reducing the sauce you skim all the fat off the top.
I had some made in an Instant Pot the other day which were pretty amazing. I felt like I was eating cheater ribs the whole time and they were lacking that bbq feel, but they were fall of the bone and delicious.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #1010
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I had some made in an Instant Pot the other day which were pretty amazing. I felt like I was eating cheater ribs the whole time and they were lacking that bbq feel, but they were fall of the bone and delicious.
My wife is an Instant Pot guru and insists on using it for ribs.

In the winter, we'll pressure cook the ribs, sauce and finish in the over / broiler to caramelize the sauce.

Now that it's summer, same thing except finished on the grill.

It may not be the "purest" method, but I'd say the flavour and texture are at least a solid 90% as good as anything I've had and it doesn't take 6+ hours... Delicious ribs as a quick weeknight dinner = win!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #1011
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post

In the winter, we'll pressure cook the ribs, sauce and finish in the over / broiler to caramelize the sauce.

It may not be the "purest" method, but I'd say the flavour and texture are at least a solid 90% as good as anything I've had and it doesn't take 6+ hours... Delicious ribs as a quick weeknight dinner = win!
Now get a smoker, try the 3-2-1 method and compare the two!
You honestly can’t beat smoker ribs, my wife too was a instapot guru and prefers the smoker after just 1 cook.

I was skeptical myself, best choice I made!

Mind you not as fast obviously, but worth the wait I promise.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #1012
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post

Yeah I definitely like the appeal of weeknight ribs.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #1013
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Now get a smoker, try the 3-2-1 method and compare the two!
You honestly can’t beat smoker ribs, my wife too was a instapot guru and prefers the smoker after just 1 cook.

I was skeptical myself, best choice I made!

Mind you not as fast obviously, but worth the wait I promise.
I never said the Instant Pot method was better than 3-2-1 on a smoker, or any other "low and slow" method... But I do feel that, with a little bit of effort beyond just the pressure cooker, the IP ribs can get to be within about 90% of the best ribs I've had that took 6+ hours...

Now I love a good slow braise, sous vide, smoke or other low and slow method as much as the next guy - to me there's no better way to enjoy a relaxing Sunday than putting time and effort all day into an epic meal.

My point, however, is that in the case of ribs, IMO there are short cut ways to produce results nearly as good as the ultimate method, and for me, the ~10% increase in deliciousness of slow cooked ribs isn't necessarily worth the 600% increase in time. And it's not always about being "worth" the time - as a family, we just plain don't have time to spend 6 hours prepping a meal more than 1 or 2 times a month and especially not on a week night...
Old 06-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #1014
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

HA!

Just got the call: "I was thinking ribs for dinner, is that OK?"... "OK, good, I'll be home around 5. We need to eat by 6 to make it to soccer"...

Win. Win. Win.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #1015
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is it sacrilegious to say pressure cooker and then finish off on the grill?
That's the way my mom used to do them and they were fantastic.

When I worked at earls, I thought they had the best ribs by far. If memory serves, they'd place ribs in a deep/long pan, add watered down Kraft BBQ sauce (just regular ol Kraft BBQ sauce), simmer them in that mixture for a few hours and stick in the fridge overnight. Put them in the oven for 10-15 mins when ordered. I still think they are some of the best I've ever had.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 06-26-2019 at 04:44 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #1016
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked up a Weber Spirit E-210 and tried it out last night, I found that it was definitely not heating evenly as burgers on the top left barely started cooking and bottom right were cooking fast. How do I figure this out and make adjustments? I just bought a nice strip for a bbq this weekend and don't want to have this issue.

Edit: Its Natural Gas
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #1017
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Ok thinking I may want to dip my toes into the smoker thing. Very faithful bbqer. What should I be looking for in a smoker. I don’t have a huge budget (sub $300 would be nice... maybe used?) but I do have a family of 4. Room isn’t an issue, and I did find a giant barrel style one for $275 on fb marketplace. But no clue on where to start.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #1018
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Ok thinking I may want to dip my toes into the smoker thing. Very faithful bbqer. What should I be looking for in a smoker. I don’t have a huge budget (sub $300 would be nice... maybe used?) but I do have a family of 4. Room isn’t an issue, and I did find a giant barrel style one for $275 on fb marketplace. But no clue on where to start.
How important is convenience for you? Pellet is definitely the way to go if so, potentially even a Bradley electric.

If you're willing to go the charcoal route I found the Weber Smokey Mountains a good way to dabble in in smoking. Lots of top end potential so you won't be limited that way. Get it on a sale or used and you'll definitely hit the $300 budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I picked up a Weber Spirit E-210 and tried it out last night, I found that it was definitely not heating evenly as burgers on the top left barely started cooking and bottom right were cooking fast. How do I figure this out and make adjustments? I just bought a nice strip for a bbq this weekend and don't want to have this issue.

Edit: Its Natural Gas
Blocked burner? Who assembled it? Maybe pull out the manual and see if there was an installation error. Webers are known for nice even heat so clearly something is wrong.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #1019
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm waiting for the Lousiana Grill LG900 to go on clearance at Costco.

if I get that, I'll have a 4 drawer digital bradley smoker that I'd be willing to sell
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #1020
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
How important is convenience for you? Pellet is definitely the way to go if so, potentially even a Bradley electric.

If you're willing to go the charcoal route I found the Weber Smokey Mountains a good way to dabble in in smoking. Lots of top end potential so you won't be limited that way. Get it on a sale or used and you'll definitely hit the
No clue. Lol

There’s a used Bradley close to me though.

Looks like this

$225

Edit 2

Or this monster for a little more

Last edited by stang; 06-28-2019 at 12:38 PM.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber