Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #141
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

They just didn't come out ready.

Blues had two or three 10 bell chances in the games' first three minutes, but even after that the penalty parade starts because they're not moving their feet.

Better in the second, and pretty unlucky to give up the only two goals ... that game likely should have gone from 3-1 to 4-2 or 4-3 after 40.

Score effects in the third, but at least they brought it.

Team is good when they are ready. That'll be the key this season. First period tonight looked like that first in Vancouver to start the season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #142
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think generally the forwards have been very good, that being said i don't believe that the first line can win every game so we need to see things from the other lines. Certainly the second and third lines were very effective. The comments about Ryan being the new Stajan are offtrack and he looks like a significant step up. For the defence it was kind of a learning moment for the third defense pair and that will happen.

I feel the next game will be big game because the Flames really need Rittich to step up. At this point in his career Smith is no better then a 1a/1b goalie. I believe Smith can play twice a week and should end up playing only 40 games or so. Certainly the Flames started slow, but once they got into the game Smith let in some easy ones.

If Rittich cannot step up in the next game there will be an issue because I am not sure where the Flames turn next for goalie help. I am ok with the Flames losing a low scoring game but if they light up Rittich we will have a problem, yes its early but I would say this is a very significant moment for the team.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-12-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #143
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

My personal opinion of Smith is that he is done and Tre should be working the phones big time. At this point, I am not even interested in having Smith as a back up.

A stellar game here and there does not cut it. We need a goalie who is at least consistently average, preferable consistently above average.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #144
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

People always over react to goaltenders, especially in Calgary it seems.

Not a great start for Smith, but the Flames have been giving up too much quality too. I get that you can't just say none of them were Smith's fault every game, because he has to stop 75% of the tough ones, and this season he's stopped way less than that.

But the bigger body of work suggests he'll find it ... and if not, if this is the age cliff than yeah they'll have to make a change.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #145
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Not a great start for Smith, but the Flames have been giving up too much quality too. I get that you can't just say none of them were Smith's fault every game, because he has to stop 75% of the tough ones, and this season he's stopped way less than that.

But the bigger body of work suggests he'll find it ... and if not, if this is the age cliff than yeah they'll have to make a change.
The big thing for me is just don't let those back breaking ones in.

That one last night 8 seconds after scoring is just back breaking, and while it wasn't "weak", it was a save you need to have.

Game was pretty even to that point with Flames even driving play at times, but after that St.Louis absolutely took over for the rest of the period.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #146
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

In my opinion, this was a really bad game from which to gauge whether or not Smith has actually taken a step back. His record against the Blues—and especially in St Louis—is awful. If this is still a conversation we are having in two weeks the sure, but right now we still really have no idea about what we can expect from Mike Smith this season. Fans HATE that these things take time to evaluate (and yes, they do take considerably more time than just the preseason plus a few early October games), but that's just how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #147
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that playing 2 rookie Dmen together on the road will have its challenges. They were on for 3 goals. All part of learning to be a better player. There will be growing pains.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #148
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

One positive from last night is that the Flames now only have four forwards without goals. Dube, Bennett, Jankowski and Peluso. Last year it felt like it wasn't until December that that was the case.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #149
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think he has to feel his way into his old play again. Takes you longer to bounce back from those injuries at his age. It's been slow and clunky but he is healthy and I think he'll work out the bugs. Making statements in not only October but early October typically looks foolish a few weeks down the road.

Can't have him starting more than 60 though. Probably 50-55 is best, if you don't go out and grab a 1B from somewhere.
That's the thing about Smith that was briefly discussed recently by a few posters, but many seem not to accept:

Smith's "old play" for virtually his entire career, including in his prime, is that of an average/middling goalie. He has consistently put up ~9.14 sv%, which is usually good for ~15th amongst goalies playing significant time.

And Smith is by no means still in his prime. He is 36 and has had a string of injuries. Any goalie of that age and history can be expected to have a lower top end of play, and to take longer to recover. So, by those expectations, over the course of a season, you should expect Smith to have a harder time reaching his "peak" (~.914) and to take longer to get there.

Could he defy those trends? Possibly. But with so many of the other aspects of the team seeming to be the best in years, and the core in its prime, how long does a responsible GM roll those dice?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #150
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm just about done with Treliving continually making the safe move on goaltending. Imagine how much better off this team would be if he'd traded that second with a couple other pieces for Raanta instead of Lazar. Old vets in net just don't do it. It's time for him to take a calculated risk on a younger guy and hope that it pays off.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #151
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
I've had this feeling since the Summer that the Flames will trade for Carey Price sometime this year.
As much as I love Price, we'd have to give up waaaaay too much + take on that contract.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #152
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
That's the thing about Smith that was briefly discussed recently by a few posters, but many seem not to accept:

Smith's "old play" for virtually his entire career, including in his prime, is that of an average/middling goalie. He has consistently put up ~9.14 sv%, which is usually good for ~15th amongst goalies playing significant time.

And Smith is by no means still in his prime. He is 36 and has had a string of injuries. Any goalie of that age and history can be expected to have a lower top end of play, and to take longer to recover. So, by those expectations, over the course of a season, you should expect Smith to have a harder time reaching his "peak" (~.914) and to take longer to get there.

Could he defy those trends? Possibly. But with so many of the other aspects of the team seeming to be the best in years, and the core in its prime, how long does a responsible GM roll those dice?
I don't think there is any question that there will be a new starting goaltender in Calgary by next season at the latest. But any "responsible GM" has all sorts of things to weigh, factor, and calculate when making significant in-season changes, and he needs to take a long-term view of this.

I would say that now is absolutely too early: First of all, after only four games I doubt the team yet has a good read on their starting goalie who has been playing behind a defense that features three new players—two of which are rookies.

Second, there is nothing on the market in the second week of the season that provides a significant upgrade on the position. Any potential upgrade in goal would come in the form of a trade for a starter, but virtually all of those are either not on the table or grossly overpriced.

Third, the construction of a team is a LONG process from start to finish. Treliving is now in his fifth year as the general manager, and I would argue that this is the last remaining piece that he needs to fill. Fans are impatient, but General Managers cannot afford to be. It is very likely that the best time for Treliving to make a goaltending change is not even in the season. He should not trade for a goalie if there are no good ones available, and he should not panic and pay a premium for a goalie who is not worth the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #153
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
One positive from last night is that the Flames now only have four forwards without goals. Dube, Bennett, Jankowski and Peluso. Last year it felt like it wasn't until December that that was the case.
Bennett has has two goals waived off that probably should have counted too. The Blues one is debatable, but the Nashville one was a goal. I've liked his play play year.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #154
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have a video of Bennett's wraparound that some think went in?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #155
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With the number of goalies that have been moved lately, and the relatively low cost of aquisition, its hard to believe that Calgary hasn't aquired a decent starter in the 25-30 year old range.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #156
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And by lately, i mean the last 3-4 seasons
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #157
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I don't like it when he shows up his defensemen. It looks especially bad when he follows it up with that 4th goal where he makes another one of his mistakes wandering out of the net. Should the defensemen on that play give it to him for handing the Blues a free goal? He needs to be a better leader.
It was an issue with him in Arizona as well, how he would give the wtf look after a goal was scored. Blaming or showing up a dman. The ironic thing is he always seems like such a team player and a battler for the most part besides the showing up his teammates. As a player, I know if a goalie ever does that to me, I just shrug my head at them, as in whatever man, make a save.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #158
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

there has to be something Flames can do with Bobrovsky.

2019 1st lotto protected

Frolik & Rittich + 2019 2nd
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #159
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Does anyone have a video of Bennett's wraparound that some think went in?
No but it was in...way in like not even a question.

Problem is the initial shot was stopped and the ref blew the whistle as Allen tried to cover it. He never did cover it and it went in the net.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #160
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
No but it was in...way in like not even a question.

Problem is the initial shot was stopped and the ref blew the whistle as Allen tried to cover it. He never did cover it and it went in the net.
It's pretty damn funny at this stage, no?

I don't think I've ever seen one player so comically snake-bitten/boned by no-goal calls.

It makes me like Bennett even more. It's like he's one man standing against the hockey gods or something. Gotta love an underdog!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: