Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #2001
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just ran into Evan Bush on Stephen Avenue. Debated hitting him with a Lime scooter. Thought better of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #2002
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Can't wait to check this out tomorrow! Admittedly don't know much about the team or the league -- anyone want to shoot me some of the basics?

Old 08-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #2003
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Can't wait to check this out tomorrow! Admittedly don't know much about the team or the league -- anyone want to shoot me some of the basics?
Montreal = NG (going to slaughter them tomororow and beat another MLS team)
Vancouver = NG (disposed of them two weeks ago, first CPL team to beat an MLS team)
Edmonton = NG (will provide good cannon fodder on Friday night and kick them out of first place and back down to the middle of the table, reclaiming our rightful spot)

Cavalry is kicking ass, everyone else is playing to catch up, League has a creepy obsession with seeing Forge succeed and be the face of the CPL.

That's probably it in a nutshell.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #2004
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Marco Carducci = Clap Clap Clap Clap
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #2005
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The main thing is that tomorrow is a cup match vs. MLS opposition (better, on paper). But there is a good chance of an upset. Being a cup game, which are not part of the league, this gives a unique opportunity to take down a bigger opponent, earn the league some credibility, and secure another round (which would be the final vs. Toronto - another big, novelty game).

Simply put - a little cup run like this may not happen every year, so it is to be savoured. And defeating an MLS team once (Vancouver) is notable, twice would be an amazing feat. Great for the team and the league alike. It is a nice little bonus to an already-great season so far.

Cavalry are down 2-1 in the home and home series, but there is an away goals rule in effect that serves as the tiebreaker in the event of a tie in the series. So because Cavalry got an away goal in Montreal, if Cavalry wins 1-0 tomorrow (making the series 2-2), Cavalry actually advances.

So the plot isn't as simple as "win", but I suppose that you could distill it down to "a win with good defence". And Cavalry will definitely be taking risks if the match sits at 0-0 or 1-1 toward the end, because a tie is a loss.

Away goals can make a match like this extra tense because letting one goal in, even if you're still tied on the night, can spell disaster. Or jubilation.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 08-13-2019 at 02:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #2006
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
- Cheer your ass off for Cavalry.
- Boo the hell out of the Impact.
- Don't worry about offending people if you stand up and chant, sing or whatever. This isn't a Flames game. You aren't at the game solely to talk business. You don't have to wait for Harvey the Hound.
- If you are in the supporters section, when Jay the beer guy comes to the stand, it is our duty as supporters to buy all of the beer available.
- Most importantly, the games are supposed to be fun. Have some of that.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #2007
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, get yourself a scarf / jersey / flag / something before the game if you can. Once the players walk onto the field, it's hard to not constantly wave something in the air, shout, chant, and live the unique Cavalry experience. The players also feed off of that energy in a spectacular way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #2008
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ To add to what Sherm says: you will totally notice how the atmosphere differs from hockey, and even CFL. More natural cheering (no prompting), more banter from the crowd, and just a really cool buzz before and during the match.

If a Montreal player does something (gets a bad foul, embellishes, gets lippy, or is even just playing well) then be prepared for the crowd to ride his ass all night long. Pick a villain and do not relent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #2009
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Despite what they said if anyone is looking for tickets still there's 12 in a row, 15 in a row and 5 in a row available right now in the upper middle section.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #2010
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This all sounds great! I'll have to buy something to represent when I go back down east anyway, so I might have to shell out for a jersey. See y'all there tomorrow!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #2011
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Despite what they said if anyone is looking for tickets still there's 12 in a row, 15 in a row and 5 in a row available right now in the upper middle section.
Now all the middle seats are gone and some resale pairs have popped up in 108 from $70-$110/ticket. I dislike scalping as a general rule, but I must admit it's cool to see a Cavalry game with only pairs of expensive resale tickets available.

People want soccer in this city.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #2012
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Impact's best CB, Zakaria Diallo, has also left the team. He is transferring to Lens in Ligue 2.

And apparently The Dudes will be playing live at Spruce Meadows at 5:30. That's a pretty decent free local act to go with the game...

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #2013
jayswin

Exp:

Dude's will put on a hell of a show. Everyone will enjoy it except troutman.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #2014
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw this on Instagram, Tommy is asking the fans to get in their seats 10 minutes before the players walk out and get the atmosphere going. Spread the word! Up the Cavs!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #2015
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

One thing the team has really nailed is the atmosphere. Especially at the Whitecaps game. Looks like they stepped it up for tomorrow too.

The big screen between the three rings will most likely have the Ottawa-Toronto game as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #2016
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
^ To add to what Sherm says: you will totally notice how the atmosphere differs from hockey, and even CFL. More natural cheering (no prompting), more banter from the crowd, and just a really cool buzz before and during the match.

If a Montreal player does something (gets a bad foul, embellishes, gets lippy, or is even just playing well) then be prepared for the crowd to ride his ass all night long. Pick a villain and do not relent.
That Iranian fellow playing for the caps got jeered hard last month.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #2017
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is that Barcelona reject Bojan Krkic starting for Montreal?

Last edited by vennegoor of hesselink; 08-13-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #2018
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennegoor of hesselink View Post
Is that Barcelona reject Bojan Krkic starting for Montreal?
They were practicing at Mount Royal the other day and apparently he looked to be in fantastic form.

The coaches and players i've spoke to on Cavalry all seem to think he will be starting and I can't see why not.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #2019
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It wasn't long ago that Krkic was considered the next big star at the highest level. It will be cool to see him play, even if his career hasn't exactly played out that way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #2020
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

By my count there are ~14 single tickets, Officer club seats, and a handful (maybe 4 seats) of resales remaining. I think that it is safe to call this one a proper sell out. There are also rumours that the away support will be well represented as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge