Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
it's easier for extroverts. My brother can start up a conversation with anyone. Me, I'm analytical. If people start up a conversation with me out of the blue in public, I think their crazy. I need time to analyze and observe. I'm aware of it, but it's still hard to change that behavior. If someone asked me for coffee or a beer online that I didn't know? I'd think that was really weird and shy away from it. Leads to a lonely existence though.
As someone with extensive experience meeting internet randos for beers I will admit its a bit of a mixed bag, but at the same time whats the worst that can happen? If it gets super weird you just leave.

But it can work out really well. I've met a lot of CPers and most of them (not all...you know who you are) are really a lot of fun to hang out with and you have the added bonus of already having something in common (the Flames/commiseration) with them to take the weird edge off.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #62
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
As someone with extensive experience meeting internet randos for beers I will admit its a bit of a mixed bag, but at the same time whats the worst that can happen? If it gets super weird you just leave.

But it can work out really well. I've met a lot of CPers and most of them (not all...you know who you are) are really a lot of fun to hang out with and you have the added bonus of already having something in common (the Flames/commiseration) with them to take the weird edge off.
I'm not knocking it Locke, just explaining that from a Analytical personality, it's very hard to do something like that. I'm sure other personality's have no problem with it. Like talking to a random person in public. Nothing wrong with that. But from an analytical standpoint, it seems strange. Just sharing the struggles of having an analytical personality and meeting new people.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #63
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what you do depends on what you like, there's not much point in heading down to the Games Workshop to make friends by playing Warcraft if you don't like playing Warcraft, similarly if you don't like playing soccer or hockey joining a rec league doesn't make much sense either, I have always done volunteer work so joining a lodge and just doing that work via it made perfect sense to me, I also play rec soccer as I like soccer.

The other point is once you are doing something you have to be friendly, if you are playing soccer or Warcraft its just a vehicle for you to strike up a conversation that leads to going for a beer or the like, if you don't do that then it wont help.

Making friends is like trying to pick up a girl, if you just stand around the edge of the party quiet awkward and not prepared to take a risk getting shot down then you aint getting laid.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #64
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I'm not knocking it Locke, just explaining that from a Analytical personality, it's very hard to do something like that. I'm sure other personality's have no problem with it. Like talking to a random person in public. Nothing wrong with that. But from an analytical standpoint, it seems strange. Just sharing the struggles of having an analytical personality and meeting new people.
I have met up with random CPers both here in Van and in Calgary when I have been visiting. It is definitely a little strange as I think very much like you do but I am trying to make a more concerted effort to get out of my comfort zone when dealing with strangers. It has been nothing but a positive experience.

I might be going to a Chief's game in KC later in the year, we can randomly meet up for a beer than!
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #65
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I have met up with random CPers both here in Van and in Calgary when I have been visiting. It is definitely a little strange as I think very much like you do but I am trying to make a more concerted effort to get out of my comfort zone when dealing with strangers. It has been nothing but a positive experience.

I might be going to a Chief's game in KC later in the year, we can randomly meet up for a beer than!
Dont do it!! Hes one of the weird ones I was telling you about!!!

I kid, I kid, Gala is good people.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #66
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could calgarypuck have a meetup section or a friend match section?

There’s a huge online community here with lots of similar interests and I imagine a lot of people would like to get offline and meet some of the people who’s thoughts they’ve been reading for over a decade.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #67
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Could calgarypuck have a meetup section or a friend match section?

There’s a huge online community here with lots of similar interests and I imagine a lot of people would like to get offline and meet some of the people who’s thoughts they’ve been reading for over a decade.
CalgaryPuck tinder! We could call it CalgaryFu...
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #68
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
CalgaryPuck tinder! We could call it CalgaryFu...
Solid idea, especially the name.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #69
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But would people just be huge jerks to each other IRL at the mention of a trigger word like Benzo or Corsi, or would we soften up and get along by taking away the anonymity of the interwebs?

I'm curious to see if estrada, flash walken, phagoof etc are actually ultra positive, upbeat people IRL.

ex-CPers like whiteout403, whereru, moon, polak can be added to that list as well.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #70
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
But would people just be huge jerks to each other IRL at the mention of a trigger word like Benzo or Corsi, or would we soften up and get along by taking away the anonymity of the interwebs?

I'm curious to see if estrada, flash walken, phagoof etc are actually ultra positive, upbeat people IRL.

ex-CPers like whiteout403, whereru, moon, polak can be added to that list as well.
I can say that at least one of them is a normal guy. Pretty amusing given his ridiculous posting history.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #71
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't have any, don't seek any out.

I have a couple of guys at work (who I don't see every day) who I do consider friends. We don't do anything outside of work though.

Pretty sure I am anti-social!
Old 04-20-2019, 11:57 PM   #72
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Humans suck. Try adopting a pet maybe?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:57 AM   #73
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Humans suck. Try adopting a pet maybe?
I love my dog, and my cat. But when they’re gone, I don’t plan on replacing them. I’d love a bit of a break from the constant neediness actually.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #74
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I love my dog, and my cat. But when they’re gone, I don’t plan on replacing them. I’d love a bit of a break from the constant neediness actually.
Pretty much my feeling about living with the opposite sex, I like having a girlfriend but I aint living with one
Old 04-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #75
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

There a couple of posters (former posters actually) who I’d legitimately be afraid of meeting in person. They came across as downright mean.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #76
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big fan of Textcritic's posts but would be absolutely terrified debating with him in person.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
There a couple of posters (former posters actually) who I’d legitimately be afraid of meeting in person. They came across as downright mean.
Oh come on! You cant hold those comments against me!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #78
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
In jail they call them window warriors, absolute #####'s when the door is opened and they are face to face
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #79
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I'm a big fan of Textcritic's posts but would be absolutely terrified debating with him in person.
Funny you mention TC. I have disagreed with him a lot and his writing style can be rather officious at times, but he strikes me as someone who would be very pleasant to go to a game or talk hockey with IRL.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #80
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't really suggesting two forumers meet in a back alley in the dark.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote