Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #21
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

there are quite a few available within your price range that dont have that kind of damage to em... steer clear of that one.

check out autotrader.ca

also,

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/409...62#post4786462

You could drive it for 8 months and be into it for $3000, and/or own it for $19k.

Last edited by ricosuave; 03-21-2019 at 05:33 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #22
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Check out the Golf R if you can afford it......!!!
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #23
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haha Golf R is out of my price range unfortunately.

I browse Autotrader almost daily and am still looking for the right one. I plan on having this vehicle for the foreseeable future so want to make sure it has everything I'm looking for.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #24
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are there no other comparable GTIs available that don't have an accident history?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why settle for a GTI when you can pick up an A+ Nissan for way cheaper?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Why settle for a GTI when you can pick up an A+ Nissan for way cheaper?
It sounds like the OP actually likes cars and doesn’t hate himself.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #27
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

You can find better GTIs out there...I would not buy from dealer nor would I buy a car that was likely very close to being written off...

It might be a fine vehicle, but why risk it?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I bet the quarter panel on that car is $5k just for the part.
To be fair, if the accident involved denting along both sides of the vehicle, it'd be pretty easy to get to $18,000. You're looking at almost $8k to repair a standard door dent these days (after you've "colour matched" the other door of course).

OP, I'd take a look at Subaru WRXs too. You get slightly more performance out of the WRX, but slightly less practicality.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #29
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Subies have ringland issues
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #30
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To be fair, if the accident involved denting along both sides of the vehicle, it'd be pretty easy to get to $18,000. You're looking at almost $8k to repair a standard door dent these days (after you've "colour matched" the other door of course).

OP, I'd take a look at Subaru WRXs too. You get slightly more performance out of the WRX, but slightly less practicality.
The car I've been hearing very good things about is the Elantra N (Not the N-Line)...but I don't think its coming to Canada. Just the Veloster N

Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #31
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Also, is the Audi A3 not essentially a GTI?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #32
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
For sure. Definitely something front end related, though, because you can replace all the body panels for less than that. Probably radiator gone, both headlights, a couple wheels, plus hood, bumper, fenders, grill. That'd put you at $18k pretty fast and you could do that just by rear ending a guy going 40kph.
Yup front end for sure. A guy backed into my Lexus, and I had to get the front repaired... $15K, luckily the airbags didn’t deploy. Then it would have been written off.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #33
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Check out the Golf R if you can afford it......!!!
Not helpful, but the Golf R is a beautiful car, and a ton of fun. I was about 99% close to buying one, but I got guilted by the wife a bit to save the money, and my Lancer is still perfectly fine.

Regardless, the GTI is a fun car to have too.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #34
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Not helpful, but the Golf R is a beautiful car, and a ton of fun. I was about 99% close to buying one, but I got guilted by the wife a bit to save the money, and my Lancer is still perfectly fine.

Regardless, the GTI is a fun car to have too.
I have a 2018 GTI and its great. Sometimes wish I went with the R, but financially, it made no sense given once you factor in insane lease rates on the R you could be in an Audi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Effectively, yes, the GTI is the A3 wagon (not sold in Canada beyond electric version anymore) with slightly less power and FWD.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Subies have ringland issues
Only the EJ257 in the STI has ringland issues. The FA20DIT in the WRX is actually a modern engine in comparison. That said I feel the GTI is the more polished car and I would only recommend the WRX over it if you have to have AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Kind of. They share the same engines, transmissions and MQB platform. Totally different executions inside and out though.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-21-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #36
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

My best friend has a 2017 GTI, and was rear ended in stop-and-go-traffic by a small SUV (like old school RAV4 type deal) he says the liftgate repair was 5K and it was all cosmetic. He barely felt the guy hit him and it did that much damage.
It would have been more had it crunched the slick back-up camera.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #37
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had a few GTI's in my life, and I love them. They're fun to drive, they're sporty feeling, great seats, etc. My latest one was a 2010 (the one I had posted for sale on here).

I've for the most part found them all to be really low maintenance, I've owned I believe 36 vehicles in my life and it had the least amount of problems. Everything just worked well. The older ones (like Mk4) had timing belt issues, lots of coilpack issues. They resolved the timing belt issue on the new TSI engines by going to a chain configuration which proved to be successful. They still used the same coilpacks so they were prone to failure as well but they are cheap and take 30 seconds to replace.

The one pet peeve about the TSI engine was the intake coking/buildup that occurs, and its a very very real thing. It can result in an $1100 bill at the dealer for them to do the manual cleanup for you. Mine started getting the misfire and hard starting around 90k, and I did the cleanup myself at 115k which took 3 hours and was a messy messy job. It was hard to believe the GOBS of sticky tarry caked on oil byproducts there were, and how much it restricted the intake runners. It also requires special tools, and mechanical knowhow and comfort as you're removing the intake mani off the car, which includes the fuel rail, injectors, etc. There's preventative things you can do to avoid it but I'm not sure how effective they are (CNC makes a spray for the intake you can use, but do it before an oil change). This wouldn't be a concern on a new car, and it didn't concern me enough to buy a new EA888 TSI Tiguan with a variant of that engine with the intent to do the preventative stuff at each oil change, but I won't know if it helps until I get a misfire again. It would be a concern on a used VW though, because its highly unlikely that particular service was completed and its imperative to proper running.

Keep in mind this problem is inherent on ALL direct injection vehicles with EGR. The recirc'd exhaust gasses and crankcase venting all contain traces of oil that hit the intake runners and valves and instantly burn on. Theres no fuel wash like from a port injection to keep that stuff washed back into the cylinders for a re-burn. Many new engine designs use a dual injection to prevent that (ie: ecoboost gen 2).

Otherwise, you'll never be disappointed in a GTI. If you can find an old R32 Mk4 that would be even cooler, AWD, Konig interior and 3.2 VR6 goodness