Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #41
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like this is a ###### vs turd election. I just found out expats are now allowed to vote but I'm not going to bother. Man I don't envy you guys.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #42
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Kenney going scorched earth does nothing except flair up hostilities with various parties, all of which we need to work with to get things done. Even then, we have the NEB on board who already confirmed they think pipelines are needed and will have the next consultation done this spring for TMX, so I'm not sure why we have to be antagonistic. There's a way to do this with class and tact, but going in fist fighting is not that way. We have to be patient. It will happen.
No one, not even Kenney is advocating going full scorched Earth although I suppose the definition of what constitutes a scorching varies person to person. Scorched Earth is what I would do as premier where I would have daily press conferences telling Horgan to suck my balls and giving them a fresh lawsuit every week but luckily for all of us I'm not a politician. It's about identifying leverage and pressure points. We've been trusting the Feds to do the right thing and they haven't unless forced to. They had all last year to give Kinder Morgan some certainty, pressure Horgan to stop his unconstitutional harassment games, anything. They did nothing until they had to.

I'm with you on your point yesterday where we should see how this current round of consultations pans out before getting antagonistic. But if cabinet delays and it looks like we could miss the summer construction season (again) then it's time to act.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #43
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The NDP reaches a new low by digging up a 30 clip of Jason Kenney back the 80's when he was a teenager living San Francisco. I guess smear and fear is all the Dippers have. Quite sad

https://twitter.com/user/status/1108444419521277952

Quote:
Very quickly, the UCP released a long explanation in the form of an interview with Kenney, dealing both with the AIDS issue and his opposition to pro-abortion activism at his Jesuit school, the University of San Francisco.

“To be clear, contrary to the attacks of my political opponents, my opposition to the domestic partners ordinance when I was a teenager in the 1980s was not based on a desire to limit partners from visiting their loved ones in hospitals, but over concerns about the legal implication for the definition of marriage.

“At exactly that time, I was volunteering at San Francisco’s Gift of Love AIDS Hospice and I am quite sure there was no restriction on intimate partners, or anyone else, visiting their loved ones there.

“It would never have occurred to me to oppose such a thing.”
https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...left-and-right
Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #44
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Very quickly, the UCP released a long explanation in the form of an interview with Kenney, dealing both with the AIDS issue and his opposition to pro-abortion activism at his Jesuit school, the University of San Francisco.

“To be clear, contrary to the attacks of my political opponents, my opposition to the domestic partners ordinance when I was a teenager in the 1980s was not based on a desire to limit partners from visiting their loved ones in hospitals, but over concerns about the legal implication for the definition of marriage.

“At exactly that time, I was volunteering at San Francisco’s Gift of Love AIDS Hospice and I am quite sure there was no restriction on intimate partners, or anyone else, visiting their loved ones there.

“It would never have occurred to me to oppose such a thing.”
Soooo he still hasn’t apologized?

Literally all he has to do is say, with some degree of humility, “sorry, I was young and dumb. I truly regret it and hope the people who were impacted can find it in their hearts to forgive me” and this whole line of attack evaporates.

The longer he goes without doing that, the more oxygen he provides for the fire.

Last edited by Flames0910; 03-21-2019 at 06:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #45
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Soooo he still hasn’t apologized?

Literally all he has to do is say, with some degree of humility, “sorry, I was young and dumb. I truly regret it and hope the people who were impacted can find it in their hearts to forgive me” and this whole line of attack evaporates.

The longer he goes without doing that, the more oxygen he provides for the fire.
Kenney addressed the issue back in 2018.

Quote:
Alberta's United Conservative Party leader says he regrets comments made in his earlier days about overturning a law extending hospital visitation rights to gay couples during the 1980s AIDS epidemic in San Francisco.
Quote:
Kenney, who is a Catholic, says on the tape he believes his actions brought him spiritually closer to his church.

"Sure, there are things that I've done and said in my life that I regret," Kenney said Thursday at the Legislature.

"Is that [the San Francisco comments] one of them?" he was asked.

"Sure," he replied. "I can tell you in 2003, and '04 and '05, you can look at the Hansard transcript and see me supporting domestic partner arrangements for dependent couples regardless of sexual orientation," he said.

"That has been my long-standing public view."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.4936223
Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #46
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Client comes into the office today, usual election banter ensues. She’s UCP, I hate Kenney.

“I’d vote UCP even if the leader was in jail,” she says. All right then.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #47
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

That still doesn’t sound like an apology.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #48
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

This is the response someone gives when they believe they were right, but know the people asking the question want them to apologize.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #49
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell, I'd take UCP led by Rob Anders over NDP led by Notley, or, well, anyone
Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #50
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is the NDP okay with Notley being Anti-Pipeline?

It’s such garbage campaigning
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #51
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is it so hard for politicians with historically ####ty opinions to recant said opinions.

Good god man, at least give us the lip service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #52
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Why is it so hard for politicians with historically ####ty opinions to recant said opinions.

Good god man, at least give us the lip service.
Arrogance
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #53
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
That still doesn’t sound like an apology.
What type of campaign would you prefer? I'm being serious here.

One where parties talked about their policies, ran on their records and most all talked about what they would do for Albertans?

Or the constant attacks we see from all parties that try to belittle the other leader?

I know which one I'd choose.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #54
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is the response someone gives when they believe they were right, but know the people asking the question want them to apologize.
I disagree. Imagine if you and everyone else here was judged for what we said or did as a teenager. Peoples views on things change over the years. Yet according to the NDP it's impossible to change and anything we did in past we should be judged guilty for.

We can argue about his response but the reality is the NDP have resorted to US style politics of demonization of people in an effort to try and win the election. A confident NDP party wouldn't be resorting to these tactics, they'd be running on their record and telling Albertans how their platform is best.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #55
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah if they were the UCP they would just pay proxies like Bell and Corbella to write daily bitch pieces about the opposition instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The sad fact is that the NDP has to role out 30 year old video's with ominous soundtracks because they know that their track record is going to get them killed in this election.

I figure we could go back 10 or 15 years on CalgaryPuck and each one of us has probably said something that would be pretty bad.

I'm not a real big fan of Kenney, but to me Notley if she continues on this path is going to turn off voters who are more concerned with pipelines and the economy then grainy videos.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #57
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm not a real big fan of Kenney, but to me Notley if she continues on this path is going to turn off voters who are more concerned with pipelines and the economy then grainy videos.
Agreed. At the same time, I would love for someone who is a huge fan of Kenney to provide me with some specific information on what he will do differently than Notley has done to stimulate the economy and get pipelines built. Because so far all I’ve heard from the UCP is a lot of rhetoric, with no realistic policy agenda plans.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #58
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. Imagine if you and everyone else here was judged for what we said or did as a teenager. Peoples views on things change over the years. Yet according to the NDP it's impossible to change and anything we did in past we should be judged guilty for.
I’m trying to remember who the poster was that spent the last 4 years continually posting memes attacking the NDP and that photo of Notley at the anti-oil rally from before she was elected, even after she made it clear her position had changed. I’m sure if I think about it long enough it’ll come to me.

Quote:
We can argue about his response but the reality is the NDP have resorted to US style politics of demonization of people in an effort to try and win the election. A confident NDP party wouldn't be resorting to these tactics, they'd be running on their record and telling Albertans how their platform is best.
Settle down Dion, it’s not as if they’re attacking his hair

In all seriousness though I agree they should be going after his policies and current/more recent behaviour. There’s more than enough political ammunition there. But we’re only a few days into the campaign so my guess is the focus will shift towards his promises like repealing the carbon tax, not voting on expanding the abortion clinic protest zone and giving large tax breaks to business owners while telling working Albertans the time isn’t right to give them one soon enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In fairness Voodooman the UCP has been releasing specific party platforms over the last few weeks.

I'm not going to go into super detail, but it is on their website and on their twitter account.

Realistically the one thing the UCP has done is gotten a jump on the NDP in terms of party platform releases.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #60
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Agreed. At the same time, I would love for someone who is a huge fan of Kenney to provide me with some specific information on what he will do differently than Notley has done to stimulate the economy and get pipelines built. Because so far all I’ve heard from the UCP is a lot of rhetoric, with no realistic policy agenda plans.
-Set up a resource room with real people to respond to lies about O&G
-Report foreign environmental NGOs to the CRA for abusing their charity status by becoming politically involved
-Sue said NGOs for defamation
-Boycott banks and other financial institutions like HSBC that have boycotted Oil sands companies
-Financially support the majority of FNs that are prodevelopment to get their voices heard
-Cut corporate taxes to 10%
-Threaten BC with real consequences for continuing to be obstructionist dbags
-Prepared in principle to hold a referendum on the terms of equalization payments to push our leverage points within confederation.

Those are the things I've put together from YouTube videos and such i image the official policy proposal will be similar.
Closed Thread