Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-10-2016, 11:24 PM   #41
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll always be a big fan but I've found myself skipping alot of games this year and just following game threads because watching is too painful. I said after the LA loss that I was done watching until they fire Gulutzan but as much as I want it to happen Treliving will probably let it drag out for another month so I'll probably eventually break that vow when they win a couple in a row.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:24 PM   #42
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fear not, winning will change everything. It's the glue that will keep the fans together. Right Glen?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #43
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I actually forgot his name was Glen there for a second, the worst coach has the best nickname.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #44
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watch way more basketball than I ever used to and enjoy it. No way could it compete in the past when there were huge rivalries and passionate hockey. But that has long since been removed from the game. Now it's so lifeless that tuning in is only if I have time. The schedule has to suit me when it used to be I scheduled around hockey. Amazing how dull the product has become.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #45
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Agreed.

There were some dark years during the Young Guns era. If the team went down 2 goals in the first period you knew the game was over because they weren't going to score 3.

A lot of nights the only reason to go to a game was to get nachos and hope Sandy McCarthy beat someone up.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that got dat feelin' when #12 lined up on 1st line wing...

...and I mean no offense to Kruser because he was helluva fun player to watch
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #46
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They don't Boblieve any more. You can see it. Scored against on every empty net they've attempted. And now you just expect it every time. I think that's the saddest part of all.

Bob wasn't a great systems guy but Bob brought belief.

This team minus the belief is painful to watch. Gulutzan obviously is not inspiring, as much as he may know the details of the game.

I normally would not tune out this early, but it's just too sad to see the team that was once so exciting because of the heart it brought every night play like this. It's making me admittedly a bit fairweather. But hopefully if enough people are on the same page, we'll force this organization to take the necessary steps to jolt some life into this team.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-11-2016 at 12:23 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #47
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your alone...
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #48
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nope. I don't watch much any more.

The bottom line is the franchise has sucked for far too long. Except for the miracle Cup run, they've been completely irrelevant since the early 90s. I know everyone like to laugh at the Leafs and their futility, but the Flames haven't exactly been worldbeaters over the last two decades.

It's not all the fact the Flames stink though. The NHL in general has stagnated. The game is all about defensive systems now and it's pretty boring to watch compared to how the game used to be played. It's become soccer on ice.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #49
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Iīm still a die-hard but 82 games is a lot. I canīt imagine baseball diehards that watch 164 or whatever. I canīt stand the NFL because I think itīs so slow and boring, but the model is excellent in this day and age of short attention spans. Once a week for only 4 months a year. The play stops all the time so my fellow millennials can check their social media (sadly) every two seconds. English football has almost matched my love for the NHL and itīs at most a twice a week commitment.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #50
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've slowly been losing interest in hockey over the last couple of years. I mean the Flames are my team and will always my team, but I find that I'm not sitting through whole games anymore or rushing home to watch hockey, I've even refused tickets because "I have other things to do"...There's no passion or fire right now .
I'm in the same place.

I've been a fan since '80, but I'm no longer making it 'must see tv', making sure my PVR is set, etc...

If I go to the gym and it's on, I watch with half an eye between sets, I'll turn it on in the car, whatever, but it no longer has the same urgency it had.

Part of it is age, I have other priorities maybe.

But moreso, it's the calibre of play. I'm not interested in watching them go through the motions. They don't push back, they fall behind and thrash around until the horn sounds...

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #51
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have some of this malaise as well.

I, as always, found the last month of the off-season excruciatingly long and could not wait for hockey to begin again.

The back-to-back opening losses to the Oilers hurt. It was just 2 games but I saw so much that said to me that this team was nowhere near as good as I thought. Many other games since have confirmed these fears. They look like a bad team to me who don't have what it takes. So many errors, and so often the effort is poor and the execution is worse.

I can feel the losses coming. I knew it before Benn scored the 3-2 goal last night and once he did I knew it was done. I'm in the eastern time zone and these games are late for me especially as i usually get up around 5.30am. I turned it off right after the goal completely expecting a 4-2 loss with an ENG and there it was when I checked this morning.

They will always be my team and I will continue to be the only person in the Bahamas with a flames hat and an Iginla t-shirt (I assume) but I am pretty frustrated and disappointed right now. Since the first 2 the only game I have watched in its entirety is the first Chicago game.

I still want to believe and get excited again but I'm finding it hard right now. Especially with the Oilers' success. That makes it worse.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #52
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it's become a fair weather hockey fan over the past few years. I don't think it's entirely the Flames either. I just don't find hockey that entertaining of an entertainment product.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #53
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames fan for life, I'll always follow them I'll always cheer for them. When they are not playing an entertaining game on a regular basis I find they have a harder time competing for my entertainment needs and dollars. Wont say fairweather but will say I wont watch as much when they play like garbage. I feel like I have so many things to do these days so unless they really pick it up its hard to watch every game. I would even be ok with close games being lost but seems like they get blown out at least 4-5 goals a game while struggling to get 1 or 2 themselves.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #54
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
I think the same is happening for a lot of fans with most major sports.Attendance is down,TV ratings are swirling down the toilet,interest is dropping and apathy is rising.
There are many reasons for it,both within each league and external factors that are not directly related . There will be a day of reckoning and serious restructuring for the NHL,NFL,NBA,MLB and Nascar,and it's coming fast...
I agree. Greed will be their downfall. They ignored the regular fans, completely ignored millennials and annoyed the general public by increasing their cable bills and constantly begging for new stadiums. They can't just exist on corporate support.

How do you short sports? I think there's some money to be made there
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #55
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty much done with the Flames right now. I haven't bothered to watch the last three games and I won't be watching the next game. I've started to watch some of the other broadcasts instead which have some much better hockey.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #56
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely losing interest. Partially it's just because I have more other stuff going on in my life and thus less free time, but partially it's just... Gah, how to put it.

A new GM, and new coach, a core fresh into their new contracts. What you see is what you get right now, and what I'm getting is a pretty 'meh' team. It's hard to be very involved when you know any major chances would take a lot of work. (A coaching change might help though.)

There have also been a lot of decisions I have trouble being excited about. I didn't like how the Gaudreau-negotiation got prolonged, Gulutzan has never seemed like a very good choice for a coach, I always felt Giordano's contract was questionable.. And then all the pointless "low-rick" contracts thrown at guys that were never going to work anyway. Not a big deal I know, but just more stuff that adds to the pile of 'meh'.

It's not that I've been hating any of the decisions either mind you. But I'm certainly not a fan either. Just... 'meh'.

I guess one reason I'm somewhat fairweather is that I've never really understood the huge Treliving praise, but it's also not a topic I feel like fighting over, so I just back away from discussion. All his supposed greatness is not showing in the standings. I was not a huge fan of Feaster either, but it was his team and his coach that got us into the playoffs, and brought us the most exciting hockey we've had since 2004.

Oh, and Gamecenter costs 30 euros per month here, and I'm poor.

Last edited by Itse; 11-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #57
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
I have some of this malaise as well.

I, as always, found the last month of the off-season excruciatingly long and could not wait for hockey to begin again.

The back-to-back opening losses to the Oilers hurt. It was just 2 games but I saw so much that said to me that this team was nowhere near as good as I thought. Many other games since have confirmed these fears. They look like a bad team to me who don't have what it takes. So many errors, and so often the effort is poor and the execution is worse.

I can feel the losses coming. I knew it before Benn scored the 3-2 goal last night and once he did I knew it was done. I'm in the eastern time zone and these games are late for me especially as i usually get up around 5.30am. I turned it off right after the goal completely expecting a 4-2 loss with an ENG and there it was when I checked this morning.

They will always be my team and I will continue to be the only person in the Bahamas with a flames hat and an Iginla t-shirt (I assume) but I am pretty frustrated and disappointed right now. Since the first 2 the only game I have watched in its entirety is the first Chicago game.

I still want to believe and get excited again but I'm finding it hard right now. Especially with the Oilers' success. That makes it worse.
Nevermind. I just heard about Leonard Cohen and now I'm really depressed.

"There's a crack in everything,
That's where the light gets in."
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things are different now. In the young guns era if you didn't have season tickets you would only be able to see 40 games a season or less on TV so even though the team was bad you would typically watch every game on TV because they weren't all televised so you were just happy to be able to watch a Flames game. Now that every game is televised there's really no reason to tune into all 82 games especially when the product is as poor as it is now.

A couple of years ago there was excitement that the team was turning the corner and good things were on the horizon. Now most fans are realizing this is a bad team that's going to wallow in mediocrity for some time and that's where apathy sets in. I'll be honest in that for the first time since every game was televised this is the first season I've skipped entire games. Didn't watch either the Kings or Ducks (no way I'm going to watch the Flames lose in that building when my 7-2 Raiders are playing on prime time) games last weekend as I have supported a lot of bad teams over the decades (Raiders, Flames, Blue Jays) and I simply would rather do other things than put myself through 82 games of misery. Besides I've seen this team before as this is the 2000 season all over again where Button made the mistake of hiring a head coach that wasn't NHL head coach material in Don Hay. I simply don't think Gulutzan is an NHL head coach and what we see now is probably what we are going to see for the most part of his tenure here.

I held season tickets in the young guns era so I will say props to the fans that are paying good money to watch this garbage as this years team currently rivals the young guns years of cheering for a hopeless team.

I'm positive things will get better in the future but as for right now both of my football teams (Stamps, Raiders) are playing excellent and the Flames are kind if a downer so I don't have the same motivation to tune in right now. Still as big a fan as ever but a fan can only put up with so much losing and bad product especially when there's alternatives out there.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #59
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still frequent CP, but watching the games on tv has gone down my priority list. If the players can't be bothered to show up, I sure won't
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #60
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've slowly been losing interest in hockey over the last couple of years. I mean the Flames are my team and will always my team, but I find that I'm not sitting through whole games anymore or rushing home to watch hockey, I've even refused tickets because "I have other things to do".

Maybe its the style of the game now, but it just seems so passionless and meh. I think that the moves to improve offense (which really hasn't improved the offense) have taken the heart of the game (and no I'm not talking about fighting). There's no passion or fire right now.

That is what made the Vancouver series in 2015 so good. Hate, fighting, rough stuff. Playing with passion. Playing with that kind of passion burning makes the actual game play better because guys are fired up.

Much of the rough stuff has been watered down, and as much as people applaud the disappearance of the goon role, they sure brought some energy into the building.

That bloody Canes game earlier in the year was the quietest I've seen the dome since the bloody Canes came in 1998 with probably 14000 people in the stands.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote