Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Considering relocating to Kelowna

Hi all,

Opinions and feedback needed!

A little background for context:

Right now I'm living as a 1%'er in Calgary, working for Shell. I've got a family with 3 kids (4,3, and 10 months). I've only been with Shell for 2 years and am being challenged in my work almost everyday. There was a re-org that occured at Shell at the beginning of the year and because of concerns of being let go, I began to look for work elsewhere. I applied at the BC OGC (for those that don't know, it's the regulatory board of BC, much like AER in Alberta) for a job in Kelowna.

Anyways, I forgot about the application and last month I got a call for an interview and then a face to face interview. I thought it couldn't hurt to go, so I went ahead with the interview and I guess they liked me because they offered me the job.

Basically, career wise, it's probably not the best decision if I take it. It's half of my pay of what I'm getting at Shell, less vacation, no annual bonus, and meagre raise. There is pretty much limited advancement in the government, maybe grows to a managerial position.

If I did take the position, while my family transitions from CGY to Kelowna, I'd have to rent a place and pay for my mortgage while my house is on the market. I may have to go into debt for this.

Some of you maybe asking, why are you even considering? Well we vacation in the Okanagan every summer and we love it. Love the heat, and from what I understand, they have short winters. I'll be able to make a pretty good return when I go to sell my house, so my mortgage in Kelowna could be quite small. My wife also would like to start a bed and breakfast if we move there. Even if the work isn't the most challenging, it would mean less stress for me.

Anyways, leave your 2 cents and weigh in. I didn't think the decision was going to be too hard - based on money and career I almost think it's a no brainer to stay. But because it could be quite the lifestyle change and a definite change of pace, it's making the decision quite difficult...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

too many cons not enough pros. Take that better salary and vacation and take nicer summer holidays. On the rumour side I have heard that Kelownians?? are somewhat hostile to Alberta replants (not sure how accurate this is)
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Don't chase money, chase happiness.

Go where you and your family will be happy.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chasing happiness is great and all, but how happy are you going to be supporting your family on half the pay and the reduction in lifestyle that comes with it? Why introduce money stress into your life?

If it was close I would say go for it, but living in a nicer place isn't so great if you can't afford to do anything
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I also forgot to add, all my family and my wife's family live here in Calgary.

I know it's only a 7 hour drive or an hour flight, but good babysitters that you trust are hard to find...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Follow your dreams and do what makes you happy.

PM bcchris is you want more information on Kelowna.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Honestly, working for the government can be draining compared to the private sector. (I did a stint at revenue Canada before moving into banking)

Stay here, enjoy the better salary, being challenged, and buy yourself a nice place out there to retire to one day.

Boredom and not being challenged is it's own kind of misery.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to Kelowna dude. Life's too short to not try it. Life is about adventure, not making money and working all the time. There's a big, shiny, fun world out there.

If you don't like it, you seem to have an in-demand skill set, so it's not like you won't find something else back here in Calgary if you need to.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yup, going to have to agree with Muta. Life is meant to be explored. You can always come back to Calgary if it doesn't fit you and your family long-term. Sounds like you might have a good skill set anyways to do so.

Getting out of your comfort zone is a huge challenge itself, and taking the plunge can have so many good results. But you'll never know unless you try.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #10
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cut off for being in the 1% is like $190,000. So you are still making at least 90-100K living in Kelowna.

That's a pretty livable wage still. You might have to tighten the belt a bit, but I think most families survive on less.

If the lake life, golfing, and Kelowna's activities are what your family loves to do then it would be worth it.

There are a lot of people in Canada working and saving so that they can afford to be where they want to be when they retire(eg Mexico, Arizona, etc.).

If you can live your entire adult life in a desirable location and still make decent money, that's a pretty enviable position to be in.

If you decide its not for you, there is always an opportunity to go back to Calgary.

Edit: The gov pension is probably better than SHELL's pile of crap.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 07-13-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #11
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Do it! If you need a realtor there, I know a guy.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't have job security here, which you more than likely would at this government job, I'd say definitely think long and hard about Kelowna. Less stress is always nice for you and your family.

At the end of the day, you only live once, do what will make you and your family the happiest. You'll be ok financially in either job, so money isn't an issue IMO.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My two cents would be to consider what you love about the Okanagan. Will you still be able to afford to do everything you love out there with the decrease in salary/vacation etc? Definitely consider going if you can continue to experience the Okangan as you love it now. For example, if you love boating - can you still fit it into your budget? Or would just being out there be enough? If you love relaxing at the beach with the family - will you still be able to do that enough with less vacation?

Just consider that the reason you love it now is that it's a vacation destination and a getaway. Add in all of the regular day to day life and think about whether it's somewhere that still makes you happy.

(I'm not tryingd to say it wouldn't - just consider it. Lots of people make the move and, like other posters have said, money certainly isn't everything. But you want to make sure you will still be happy with your life once you make such a big shift.)
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FFR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #14
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not experienced there, but raising kids in a party/tourist town has got to have its difficulties. All cities do... But that just seems tough.

I'd rent the family home out for two years to give it a whirl before selling.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #15
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

My wife and I relocated our family from Kelowna to Calgary a few years back and don't miss it. It's a wonderful place to visit, but living there wasn't for us.

However, if you enjoy skiing, swimming and hiking and can handle living in a smaller community that gets overrun by tourists every year... there's no better place to live.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #16
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'll love it. Love outside the hub (mission or west Kelowna IMO leaves you close without the hustle and bustle. Golfing season can be as long as 9 months. Here in Kamloops one year I golfed all year round (crappy little par 3 through the winter). I too could've had a lot more money but it's awesome here and life is too short to be stressed
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #17
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given all the information, I think that there may not be enough pros to doing this. Especially with extended family all being here.

I agree with surferguy though... if you think your family will be happier there, then go for it.

(Make sure that the decrease in income won't induce financial stress because if it does, the happiness will probably not be there)

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #18
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I made the move from Calgary to Kelowna and it was the best decision of my life. I was lucky enough to keep earning my same pay, but would take half of it just to be able to live here. The lifestyle i have here is exponentially better than Calgary for me.

Big White is less than an hour away in the winter and we have an amazing lake for the summer. Add in phenomenal year-round weather and there's not another city I would rather live in.

Even if you have fewer holidays, you wouldn't need holidays to hang out at a lake... you can do it everyday for free! And if you have a stressful day at work, stop by the beach on your way home to unwind. Your commute will undoubtedly be shorter, so you can spend that time on a beach instead of in a car stuck in traffic.

Kelowna may have a reputation as a party town, but it's really not that crazy at all, especially for the 10 months of the year when the tourists aren't around in big numbers.

You're crazy if you don't make the move! Money isn't everything despite what most Calgarians seem to believe these days. You simply can't beat the lifestyle in Kelowna.
Jonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonrox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #19
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

With a job already lined up, I say take a look into the housing/rental market there a little more closely and if all still looks OK, go for it. It's easier to relocate with the young kids now IMO. You could still visit Calgary often, or have family visit you. And you'll find babysitters.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #20
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do it.

Kelowna is miles better than Calgary in so many areas. Less money yes but there's a reason most rich Calgarians have places in BC...it's the place to be.

My golf season starts in February and goes to November. Can go to the beach anytime. Coldest winter ever gets is -10 or -15. Oh and no stupid wind.

Drives are shorter. No more driving 20 minutes to go somewhere. Winter sports despite the mild weather are adequate with big white and silver star.

You already spend summers here so no need to sell you on how beautiful it is, you know.

You won't need as much vacation time when you get to enjoy the resort life every day.

You couldn't pay me to move back to Calgary. If lake communities are objectively better than ones without one, then Kelowna is objectively better than Calgary and money won't change that.

Bottom line home is where the heart is and it sounds like your heart is already in Kelowna so make the move!
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:

Tags
glad it's not edmonton , vancouver is no good