Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #21
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Looking for something active or non-active? How challenging or outside your comfort zone do you want to go? A few random recommendations:

1. Dodgeball: fun co-ed leagues. People are into it but not obsessively so.
2. Collecting sports cards: totally non-active. It will increase your hockey knowledge. The search for the perfect card can be mildly obsessive.
3. Acting/Singing classes: if you're looking for something to really push yourself outside your comfort zone, this could be it.
4. Jiu Jitsu: This is all the rage with guys in their mid 30s to 50s. I have several friends who've started. Great exercise. You can choose to get competitive if you like.
5. An instrument: never hurts to be able to play an instrument. Don't play acoustic guitar covers of Simon and Garfunkel at parties though.
6. Screen writing class: This would be fun. Please don't write a Reservoir Dogs rip-off.
7. Salsa dancing: Menopausal women will rub up against you inappropriately. This is a benefit or detriment, depending on what you're into.

I'll also second the suggestions of golf and fishing. Both are very easily done in the Victoria area. Victoria has lots of fishing, both fresh and ocean. There are several affordable golf courses in the region too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #22
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Running and Obstacle Course Racing are a tonne of fun and usually have really great communities.

Last edited by corporatejay; 12-11-2018 at 10:38 AM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to corporatejay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #23
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What's the best first step to go from weekend warrior type investor to someone who understands markets? I want this to be my new hobby so I can get away from the evils of building things.
Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Do people who invest or play the stock market have any recommendations for online classes?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #24
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about community theatre.

If you don't act there is always a need for other aspects of the production.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I've been thinking for a while that it would be cool to take an acting or improve class since I work from home now and my face to face human contact is a lot less and I don't want to become a crazed recluse.

Anyone in Calgary every done that or have recommendations?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I actually took drama for 3 years in high school and really enjoyed it but somewhere in the last 10 years or so I've developed some serious stage fright. Maybe this would be a good way to kick its ass.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #27
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mindful Meditation can be as little as 5 minutes a day to hours a day and has many benefits. It doesn't do much for ones social life however.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #28
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've been thinking for a while that it would be cool to take an acting or improve class since I work from home now and my face to face human contact is a lot less and I don't want to become a crazed recluse.

Anyone in Calgary every done that or have recommendations?
https://www.loosemoose.com/school.htm

My buddy and his wife are involved in Loose Moose.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #29
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

This seems like a good thread to ask, anyone taken of ACAD's continuing education/night programs? I've been looking into some of the 6 week drawing/illustration programs recently, just wondering if anyone on CP has direct experience?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #30
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

- file nuisance lawsuits
- look at traditional songs in the context of today's values, become outranged and start a movement, get the song bannd and move on knowing you have done a good thing. For example "Oh baby it is cold out there"
Old 12-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #31
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What's the best first step to go from weekend warrior type investor to someone who understands markets? I want this to be my new hobby so I can get away from the evils of building things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Do people who invest or play the stock market have any recommendations for online classes?
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but prepare to be disappointed. Good investing isn't incredibly exciting or much of a "hobby". It's a lot of reading and reviewing financial documents or reviewing things like corporate annual reports so that you can decide that you shouldn't invest there. I'm not entirely sure what people think investing is...maybe they have some Wolf of Wall Street ideas or something? I'm not saying that it's not interesting or anything like that (I love it!), but I don't really think it's much of a hobby.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread though: fly fishing, martial arts, music, learning a language. I guess I would think of these as more "traditional" kinds of hobbies.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #32
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Learn bridge to ward off dementia.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #33
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Board games.

Foosball or pool.

Taking up a sport, if there's one that you enjoy.

There are lots of things you could do, obviously, but things that involve communities of people locally who enjoy the same activities are probably the best ones.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #34
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Photography is a good way to get outside and get some exercise and fresh air while exploring. Double if you have a decent bike to ride.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I own a set of a clubs but I don't own a vehicle nor really any need to own one. It doesn't completely rule out golf, but it gets to be a more expensive hobby if you're taking cabs to and from the course.
I hear you that you don't have a car or really need one, but if you're interested at all - even just a little - in cars, you're actually an ideal candidate to get a cool car. Since you don't need it everyday, you can look at all the fun cars that wouldn't be as practical for somebody that needs it as a daily driver.

I recently bought a fun car for $11k (to give you an idea of what it could cost - obviously you can buy a car from $500 to $100,000+). Mine is a convertible Mini Cooper S. Since I bought it a couple months ago, I have removed some weathered trim pieces and installed new ones, ran a hidden Aux cable, detailed it, bought a stubby antenna, new tires, watched some YouTube videos on why my rear parking sensors weren't working to determine the fuse to change as part of other trouble shooting I had to do, mounted a phone holder, removed all the old decals and put new racing stripes on, and a bunch of other little things.

Did you follow Pylon's thread about that Jeep he made awesome? That was a great thread and can kind of show the fun of following along with somebody enjoying this hobby.

It's fun to go to the garage and just screw around with a vehicle. It's even more fun to go for a drive. And if you're interested, there are always car meet ups if you want to socialize. I know a guy who wasn't into cars at all until after he was 30. Then he bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and became hooked and is active in that community. Cars are a super fun hobby for most budgets. Personally, I enjoy the $10-15k cars people put some effort into versus, say, a brand new Hellcat that comes out of the box "special".
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue with cars as a hobby is that it's an absolute money pit. If you go the classic route, you get cheap insurance from Hagerty but repairs and maintenance can add up (even if you do a bunch yourself). If you don't, you're obviously paying for insurance, gas, potentially storage... Obviously I speak from experience. It's worth it, in my opinion, but unless you're totally into cars it probably wouldn't be.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #37
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm going to give a shout out to The Straight Pipes on YouTube. If you watch a few of their videos from a year or so ago, you can watch Yuri progress from enjoying making Youtube videos while not really being a car guy, to becoming a car guy. Because he has more of a laymen's perspective in a lot of the videos, it's a great counter-balance to Jakob, who is definitely the car guy of the two. They're cool to watch for car guys and non-car people because of the two perspectives. My family hates when I watch Doug DeMuro (another car YouTuber), but they'll all watch and enjoy The Straight Pipes with me.

I'm just mentioning this as sort of a gateway into the hobby.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The issue with cars as a hobby is that it's an absolute money pit. If you go the classic route, you get cheap insurance from Hagerty but repairs and maintenance can add up (even if you do a bunch yourself). If you don't, you're obviously paying for insurance, gas, potentially storage... Obviously I speak from experience. It's worth it, in my opinion, but unless you're totally into cars it probably wouldn't be.
Yeah, it depends on how much money you have, I guess. Even if you don't have much, grab a used Honda Civic, which will be super reliable, and you can still screw around with it.

If cars don't interest you at all, then don't bother. I was more coming at it from the angle of if you have a few bucks and you think it could be of interest, cars can be fun.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered joining the military?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #40
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

A used civic suddenly becomes incredibly expensive when you want to actually do fun stuff to it.

As for youtube car stuff, I go back and forth on Demuro. It annoys me how he intentionally talks in a way designed to take five times as long as necessary to describe anything to increase his video stats for monetization purposes. Look at his Agera RS1 video today, it's absurd. Borderline unwatchable. Roadkill used to be the best thing on youtube for car nuts, then they took it away and put it on Motor Trend OnDemand (a service that I refuse to believe anyone pays for).

Just make sure you don't get bit by the Bringatrailer bug. I swear I have a permanent hold on my visa from that site. Never win anything, but can't help myself from bidding nonetheless.