Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57 Flames vs Blackhawks, 8:00 MDT. HNIC, Fan 960

Two streaking teams meet tonight at the 'Dome, as the three-wins-in-a-row Flames host the four-losses-in-a-row Blackhawks. The Flames need some home wins, and look to hang another W before hitting the road again.

There's really not a lot of news out this morning, so on to the lineups, which themselves aren't yet confirmed (courtesy of www.dailyfaceoff.com. Subject to change)

FLAMES

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Duce - Ryan - Hathaway

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson

Smith

BLACKHAWKS

Debrincat - Toews - Kahun
Saad - Anisimov - Kunitz
Fortin - Johnson - Schmaltz
Kampf - Kruger - Hayden

Keith - Jokiharju
Gustafsson - Seabrook
Manning - Davidson

Crawford

and with a nod to Edgar Allan Poe, That Darn Puppet enjoys a volume of forgotten lore before game time, only to be irritated by someone at his parlour door. You can guess the rest:

Spoiler!

Go Flames

- Surferguy
Old 11-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is Kane still out for the Hawks? If so that is very good news for the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkknight For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith starting would definitely show we have completely broken away from that Hartley mantra of "Always earned, never given". Smith has given up 15 goals in his last 11 periods of hockey. Got to figure the Flames will need 4 or 5 goals tonight if Smith starts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
Is Kane still out for the Hawks? If so that is very good news for the Flames.
Kane played in their last game against the Coilers with 18 mins of icetime.i would expect him to be in the lineup tonight.

Hoping for a Rittich start tonight and for a Dube gwg for his first career goal! Let's go Flames!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ lol - how about generally given, but sometimes earned?
Old 11-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I think Smith gets the nod again as they have to see if he can work his way out of this funk he is in. The degree of how bad he has been fighting the puck is really worrying because that's all about confidence and there is only one way for a G to get it back. Hopefully his play in the 3rd period last game was enough to kickstart him again.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think Smith gets the nod again as they have to see if he can work his way out of this funk he is in. The degree of how bad he has been fighting the puck is really worrying because that's all about confidence and there is only one way for a G to get it back. Hopefully his play in the 3rd period last game was enough to kickstart him again.
Flames will need to play the way they did in the 3rd for almost the entire game if he starts. Smith did not face any quality chances, although he did save a number of shots from 45 feet out which helped out the save percentage. At some point the Flames will have to start the goalie who gives them the best chance to win.

Sadly you are correct, the only way for him to get confidence is if he starts more games. I think Smith is closer to the Flames version of Grant Fuhr than he is to a guy who still has some miles left to give.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not play Smith tonight. Let him face the Ducks on Wednesday, but give him some time off to rest and iron out kinks in his game. He's coming off a W so his confidence is probably higher than if he hadn't gotten the goal support vs COL.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 11-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I'll be there so 80% chance we lose.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I'll pay you to not go.

Damnit, no money still! Will you take $5, an opened bag of peanuts and a day old donut?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Stay home please
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hope Smith can figure it out on home ice. He sure likes to #### the bed in front of the fans.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Shaking my head if Smith gets the start. Yeah he got the W but the only reason we won is Bennett woke the team up with the asswhoopin he handed out last game . I kid I kid.....that was a character win and I hope these cardiac kids keep it up this year. Exciting hockey.!!!!

I wanna see goals from Dube, Bennett, and Czarnik if he plays instead of Hathaway (he needs to sit or Jankowski) .

Flames win because we need the points and to keep the streek alive .
Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #14
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

OK...my, severely flawed, guys limp into Calgary, after giving the puck away, carelessly, too often in Vancouver and Edmonton. were dominating control of the puck in both games, and an avoidable turnover changed the complexion of both games.

Will give a capsule scouting on our roster.

Debrincat-Toews-Kahun

Debrincat (the Cat) - a RH Kane Jr. Nifty, aggressive, offensive, but, has cooled off after a hot start. Main line threat off the cycle. LW one-time threat on PP1. Kane will look for cross-ice to the Cat in the predictable 'Hawk PP.

Toews - Bad turnover in D-zone cost Oil game. Been playing stronger and faster than last season. Much more dangerous off the rush.

Kahun - All potential, but, inconsistent so far, still learning. Q may drop him from 1st line if he feels that someone from bottom 6 needs to be rewarded. Personally, this fan hasn't been impressed. He seems to drag the effectiveness of this line down.

Saad-Anisimov-Kane

Saad - Speed, marginal hands, just out of Q's doghouse. Doesn't consistently bring it. Disappointing last season, and up an down to start this. Will be in front of net on PP2 unit

Anisimov (AA) - A good soldier. He was supposed to be demoted to #3C,or even traded as he has a limited NTC, but, effort and consistency, plus chemistry with Kane has moved him back up the roster. Will be main net-front screen/garbage collector on our #1PP, and is in the rotation on PK.

Kane: Had flu in BC, DNP, played like he was sick in Edmonton. If he is 100% he is the main threat, offensively, working well with Anisimov.year. Main threat for offense, and Q will double shift Kane with Kruger/Kampf if offense sputters (again). Right Boards, main playmaker, and main threat on PP1, which seems to have only 3 plays, Kane to the Cat for 1 timer, Kane to crease for jam and scramble. Kane to AA behind net for walk out jam play.

Even though announcers call this line the #2 line, it is the main O-threat line for the 'Hawks

Note:Puppet guy has Kane out for Kunitz, if this is the case, the 'Hawks are, again, doomed. Kunitz is completely done, skates of cement, hands of stone, waste of roster spot.

Fortin-Johnson-Schmaltz

Fortin - Speed to burn, but, tends to fly by, and play on perimeter. Still learning the NHL game. Marginal O-threat, could flip with Kahun to Toews line.

Johnson - Could just as easily be in Rockford. An unremarkable prospect thrown in the deep end to learn the NHL game. Nothing special noted by this fan.

Schmaltz - Q's doghouse tenant. His HORRIFIC turnover in BC a pass 3 feet behind the cutting D-Man, led to a Virtanen breakaway, that erased anything positive the 'Hawks had built. Exiled to the pressbox for the Oil game. Schmaltz was being groomed to be the #2C and work with Kane. Now demoted to #3LW, and development arrested. Speed, but, indecisive, and telegraphs and forces passes. He is an extreme liability on PP2, when he cycles to the top of the umbrella, and the Points pinch, has a habit of coughing up the puck when pressured there, and giving up SH odd men against, with him the closest man backchecking.

Kampf-Kruger-Hayden

Kampf - a Utility guy, can play C. developing into a nice defensive forward, that forechecks tenaciously. PK 1 with Kruger.

Kruger - Q abuses Kruger, toughest zone-start stats. in the NHL, of any forward that has played in every game, at about 86% Defensive starts at ES. PK1 and every other PK shift, Kruger is the main Defensive forward on the 'Hawks.

Hayden - A nice young bottom 6 forward, reliable D, tenacious forecheck. Q occasionally promotes to Toews Line RW. Main tough guy if Martinsen is scratched.

Note: this 4th line is NOT a mismatch, when out against top lines. They are a better defensive line than any other 'Hawk line. Also, they play the most direct offensive game, of any 'Hawk line, forecheking like demons. This fan views them as a much better line than the alleged line 3.

The 'Hawk defense is a hot mess!

Jokiharu/Keith

A decidedly "light" pairing, all speed and sticks, can be overpowered, and a fail in board battles. Jokiharu is 19yo and learning on a #1D pair, very good stick, but, still learning when to stand up and when to collapse. Keith has lost a step, but, still the best we have.

Gustaffson (Gus)/Seabrook

Gus is a hyperaggressive Offensive defensman. Seabrook has been abused as he nearly completely lacks the speed to recover, and has to deal with odd-men against, when Gus gets caught up ice.

Manning/Davidson

Turnover and own goal machines...these guys would suck, even as an AHL pairing.

Q's Doghouse tenants: Rutta, Schmaltz, Saad

Q's unexplainable unconditional love: Kunitz

Goalies

Crawford/Ward

I believe they lead the league in danger chances against. They aren't as bad as stats might suggest. Against Toronto, Ward gave up SIX goals, but, still had a Sv% above .90! That's how bad the 'Hawk D coverage is.

Special teams note: 'Hawks not only have the worst PP in the league (see my notes on forwards), they often play with a Forward as the high man...any turnovers end up as SHG against us. A stupid, completely predictable design that generates far more turnovers than shots, the only time the 'Hawk PP is even a threat (to opponents...they are ALWAYS a threat to themselves!) is when Kane or the Cat dangle, off script.

Good luck to you Flame fans, and your team...the only thing I will guarantee, is that the 'Hawks play a loose, up-tempo, entertaining (if you don't care about results) game. I'll be around in the GT to accept abuse!

Last edited by thefoss1957; 11-03-2018 at 10:35 AM.
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #15
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Today we will have better D and G, and score will be close. Dube will not score again. GO FLAMES GO!
Old 11-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hate the Hawks. Hope the rising Flames incinerate them.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
OK...my, severely flawed, guys limp into Calgary, after giving the puck away, carelessly, too often in Vancouver and Edmonton. Had the lead in both games, and an avoidable turnover changed the complexion of both games.
Didn't the Hawks get shut out by the Grease?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #19
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames win 4-1 if Rittich starts, and 4-2 if Smith starts.

Goals by Gaudreau, Dube, Ryan, and somehow the glorious retro jerseys get credited for the fourth.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #20
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...58179973038080

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Ryan-Dube-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson