Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Player Underlying Stats Summary

Halloween Version: Positives

Took the various stats of all kinds and then a ranking of each to deem what players are dominating what groups of stats. Groups being what they generate, what they give up, and the differential or split.

In what they generate (CF, SCF, HDCF / 60)

1. Hamonic
2. Tkachuk
3. Backlund
4. Czarnik
5. Bennett
6. Hanifin
7. Giordano
8. Lindholm
9. Monahan
10. Gaudreau

In what they give up (CA, SCA, HDCA / 60)

1. Czarnik
2. Hamonic
3. Ryan
4. Frolik
5. Giordano
6. Brodie
7. Dube
8. Backlund
9. Valimaki
10. Bennett

Splits or differentials

1. Czarnik
2. Hamonic
3. Backlund
4. Bennett
5. Tkachuk
6. Frolik
7. Giordano
8. Brodie
9. Valimaki
10. Neal

Thoughts ...

Hamonic missed a bunch of games and is still inflated from that initial Vancouver game somewhat. He makes the minimal minutes but it's likely he settles in to more normal numbers. What can't be argued is that he's had a great start to his season compared to last year.

Czarnik missed a bunch of the Flames stinkers so his numbers are higher relative to some given that and his tie to the 3M line.

Getting worried that we are seeing a repeat from 3M this year; carry the play but don't score.

Bennett makes all three lists which is something given his past two years.

Negatives

In what they generate

20. Hathawawy
19. Ryan
18. Dube
17. Andersson
16. Valimaki

In What they Give up

20. Monahan
19. Andersson
18. Gaudreau
17. Hanifin
16. Stone

Differentials

20. Hathaway
19. Andersson
18. Jankowski
17. Ryan
16. Monahan

Thoughts ...

They're giving Andersson a long rope to learn on the job. Can't blame them as I'm seeing a lot of the same potential things. But his numbers aren't great when you get down to it.

Top line bleeding chances (improving)

Hathaway due to come out of the lineup?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be interesting to factor in Zone starts somehow.

Janko and Ryan not doing much, but not sure if thats effected by where they are deployed.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 10-31-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Most sheltered ...

1. Valimaki
2. Frolik
3. Tkachuk (that's a change)
4. Monahan
5. Stone
6. Gaudreau
7. Andersson
8. Jankowski
9. Backlund
10. Brodie

Least Sheltered

1. Hanifin (complete opposite of his time in Carolina)
2. Ryan
3. Neal
4. Giordano
5. Lindholm
6. Bennett (on all these lists in a favourable way)
7. Hathaway
8. Dube (impressive for a rookie)
9. Czarnik
10. Hamonic
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Zone starts may explain Ryan being a non factor offensively. Janko on the other hand.....
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Hathaway needs to come out
Jankowski needs to do more.
Please out Czarnik in for Hathaway and let him work out of his slump or Peter's doghouse.

I'm impressed by last night as that was a team effort and teaches these guys to never give up .

I like what Peter's is doing and how he immediately addresses issues. He's a keeper.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I see the 3M line as a bit of an issue. We love Backlund, and Frolik is a helluva reliable player. But neither of them are very good at creating offense. Only Tkachuk is.

You know that they are a line matching warm blanket, but they need to create more offense.

Easiest way to balance imo is move Lindholm to their RW. But he is so damn good on the top line.

The only other thing that could alleviate their issues is if the 3rd line gets going.

Once again we're looking a bit top heavy. Need more out of the rest of the roster.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Interesting to note that Peters trusted Valimaki with ice time on the PK in OT vs Buffalo

That lines up with him showing up on the list of people who don’t give up much
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

They need to put Neal on the second line with Tkachuk-Backlund

I want to see the James "Real Deal" Neal, not a 3rd line James "Fate Seal, Same Feel" Neal
Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I see the 3M line as a bit of an issue. We love Backlund, and Frolik is a helluva reliable player. But neither of them are very good at creating offense. Only Tkachuk is.

You know that they are a line matching warm blanket, but they need to create more offense.

Easiest way to balance imo is move Lindholm to their RW. But he is so damn good on the top line.

The only other thing that could alleviate their issues is if the 3rd line gets going.

Once again we're looking a bit top heavy. Need more out of the rest of the roster.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Peters put Neal on the Backlund line halfway through the game and to my eye it looked pretty good. I'd put him there for a while to see what happens.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Peters put Neal on the Backlund line halfway through the game and to my eye it looked pretty good. I'd put him there for a while to see what happens.
Yeah and Jankowski pretty much sat late, ... Bennett got misused somewhat as I thought he was really going, but got left with scraps.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #11
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Based on the way Peters only puts Neal on Backlund's line when we're trailing, he realizes it increases our chance of scoring but hurts the Backlund line's shutdown ability enough that it's not gonna be a consistent line.

With how Gaudreau and Lindholm have had instant chemistry, a part of me wonders if it's worth exploring a lineup like:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-X (Maybe Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal?)
Tkachuk-Monahan-X (Maybe Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett?)
X-Backlund-X (Dube-Backlund-Frolik?)

Obviously you don't break up the top line now with the way they're producing, but down the line it'd be awesome to have 2 consistent scoring lines AND a Backlund-centered matchup line.

Also good to see Bennett showing up on so many of these lists in a positive way. I can't believe how bad his luck has been to start this year between early whistles taking away goals, unlucky bounces where we score a goal but Bennett somehow doesn't get a point, and posts hit. He could easily have 8-10 points if not more.

Weird to see Hanifin getting buried as well. I'd've thought we'd be leaning on Brodano more heavily while Hamonic was injured.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The more I see advanced stats through the years he more I discredit them. That said they definitely support Hamonic play. Guy has been a beast so far.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone remind me why Hathaway has been in the lineup in the first place? He was a nice story a few years ago when inserted in the lineup a bit of a good luck charm but over the course of last season and into this one he's the very definition of replacement player. He should really only get in the lineup in the case of injury replacement or when one of the other forwards is downright terrible and deserves a night in the pressbox. He should not be a regular player for any NHL team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Team Chart:
Flames 5on5 / 60 minutes VS the 16th best team (bubble) in each category.

Really points to where the team needs to improve, and the fact that they've taken steps in the right direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can someone remind me why Hathaway has been in the lineup in the first place? He was a nice story a few years ago when inserted in the lineup a bit of a good luck charm but over the course of last season and into this one he's the very definition of replacement player. He should really only get in the lineup in the case of injury replacement or when one of the other forwards is downright terrible and deserves a night in the pressbox. He should not be a regular player for any NHL team.
We don't have anyone else with the potential to put up FP/60 like he does. At least no one that can actually keep up with the play.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #16
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
The more I see advanced stats through the years he more I discredit them. That said they definitely support Hamonic play. Guy has been a beast so far.
That's the thing, you can't really discredit them as they're simple counts.

You can ignore them.
You can argue their importance
But you stand little chance in discrediting them.

I wish the words "advanced" and "fancy" were never added to something so bloody simple.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #17
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to have a consistent Dube-Ryan-Frolik 4th line. The strength of all of these guys is that they can be plug and played upand down the lineup without a signifcant negative reaction to where they land. That, and they could be a real matchup problem for other coaches to deal with.

It would also shelter Frolik less to be with those two, and tougher assignments. I don't think he needs to be sheltered, but perhaps his usage more appropriate.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I love Dube and what he does, he seems a bit snake bitten. Would it be smart to send him to the AHL for a bit to get his scoring confidence up and bring up someone like a Mangiapane for a look see?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I agree. I have never been impressed with Hathaway, but also thought he looked good in his first game or two this season. But he really should not be in any more than a handful of games unless filling in for an injured player. My hope is that Czarnik gets back into the lineup, and Hathaway takes a seat for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #20
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

One thing I get out of this -- Ryan is the Flames' most exposed forward, yet he's second only to Czarnik in terms of allowing the least amount of chances.

That's good stuff.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote