Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #61
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Really?

I see him as someone who looks overmatched offensively but he has been his steady usual self in the 2 way game.

Then again I have never been sold that he is anything more than a good defensive C with limited offense who had a couple decent seasons that created higher expectations.

If he gets to the 45-50 pt level again, I think we should be thrilled. Thats a pretty decent combo when considering all his defensive acumen.
You didn't see him turn two Vancouver defenseman inside out on Saturday night? Tanev was the first victim, not sure who the second guy was.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #62
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
am i breaking news?

Rittich is the confirmed starter tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
Coach Bill Peters confirms Mike Smith will start in goal tonight. Dillon Dube will be a game-time decision. Mark Jankowski will warm up and be ready if Dube can’t go. #CGYvsSTL
lol
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #63
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting stat on 960 just a minute ago. Smith had 3 shutouts last year and was putrid in each following game. Small sample size so not too meaningful.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #64
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I hear what you're saying but I'm curious at season's end, what type of split you'd like to see for the goalies? If you're wanting Smith to play 55-60 games, you have to play your back-up at least every 4th game (on average).

You say it's unrealistic to start your backup every 4th game in October...but isn't it more unrealistic to suddenly start playing your back-up more in the middle of a playoff race?

I mean, the difference between Smith starting tonight vs. Saturday isn't huge. I'm just worried that a Smith injury will derail our entire season and think we should try to mitigate that risk as much as possible. I personally would have started Smith in Game 3 to get Rittich in the mix early and often...but what do I know as Smith played lights out!
I have been saying for more than a year now that Smith should be starting only 55–60 games, but by the same token the distribution is not going to be evenly staggered over the full season.

I think the place where the Flames will see more starts from Rittich is on the road in December, January, and February. There are nine road games in February, and two back-to-backs in each of December and January. The Flames play only five road games in November, no back-to-backs, and maybe only three of those games against bottom-end teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #65
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Among the toughest zone and Q of competition in the league, still positive shot metrics and 50 points, you say?
Damn right I'm ecstatic with that.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #66
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I used to have a soft spot for the Blues. So many competitive teams, so few Stanley Cups. I don't think the O'Reilly trade made them better. Also, I can't tell if Allen is solid or garbage.

Looking for:
Neal to get going, hopefully with a goal. Bennett to keep up his strong play and hopefully get rewarded, I think he's been really good so far even with limited opportunities, which is exactly what we could have hoped for. Valimaki to continue his upward curve.

Go Flames
Allen got booed by his hometown fans in the Blues home opener against the Jets - cant help his confidence
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #67
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
lol
I saw TWO sites that had Rittich confirmed as the starter but thought it was weird that sureloss hadn't announced it.

That's why I tentatively asked "am i breaking news?"

I should have known better

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #68
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have been saying for more than a year now that Smith should be starting only 55–60 games, but by the same token the distribution is not going to be evenly staggered over the full season.

I think the place where the Flames will see more starts from Rittich is on the road in December, January, and February. There are nine road games in February, and two back-to-backs in each of December and January. The Flames play only five road games in November, no back-to-backs, and maybe only three of those games against bottom-end teams.
I just don't want them to fall into the Kipprusoff trap. In his prime, the Flames would play an LA-ANA back-to-back. LA sucked so they'd play Kipper first ensuring the win and then play the backup against ANA and hope for the best since they already got the 2 point.

But then LA would win and the coach (Darryl) would go oh #### and have to play Kipper again. Kipper ended up playing 75ish games!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #69
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Only problem is Smith broke Feb 11 last year, and that was the beginning of the end.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #70
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predict secondary scoring
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #71
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Really?

I see him as someone who looks overmatched offensively but he has been his steady usual self in the 2 way game.

Then again I have never been sold that he is anything more than a good defensive C with limited offense who had a couple decent seasons that created higher expectations.

If he gets to the 45-50 pt level again, I think we should be thrilled. Thats a pretty decent combo when considering all his defensive acumen.

I agree. I think he lacks the offensive instincts to really make a guy like Tkachuk achieve his potential. I would give Jankowski a chance with him. Jankowski just has so much more awareness on the ice for where a guy is going to instinctively go and uses his linemates better than any of our centers. Unfortunately, to date, he has not been paired with any forwards that have the smarts and capability of Tkachuk, except for the one game to end last season. Backlund is a great defensive forward, very much in the Guy Carbonneau mold, but I don't see a player like Tkachuk achieving his full potential with Backlund as his pivot.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #72
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I saw TWO sites that had Rittich confirmed as the starter but thought it was weird that sureloss hadn't announced it.

That's why I tentatively asked "am i breaking news?"

I should have known better
No big deal. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #73
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Odd thing about Backlund is that he can really skate. I mean really skate. He's got a hard shot ( I believe over 103 mph during skill competition a couple of years ago) and in last years skills competition he won for the most accurate shot.

His awareness for the other teams offensive players is what keeps him from using his offensive skill set and producing more points.

For him negating the other team = a two point night!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #74
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You didn't see him turn two Vancouver defenseman inside out on Saturday night? Tanev was the first victim, not sure who the second guy was.
I definitely noticed him unable to convert on multiple chances.

In some respects I think that is the argument tranny is making.

Chances are wonderful but goals and assists are even better.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #75
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Only problem is Smith broke Feb 11 last year, and that was the beginning of the end.
In part because by 11 Feb he had probably already played too many games. The goal should be that by the same time this year he will have started quite a few less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #76
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

5-4 Flames. Tkachuk pots a hattie at home, Monahan gets another, and Peluso with the game winner to stun this board!

In all seriousness, not surprised that Peluso is in tonight. St. Louis is a big, physical team with an aggressive forecheck - would have thought either Peluso or Prout get in this one just to try to off-set it slightly. I am sure neither will dress against Colorado. I personally would have preferred Jankowski over Ryan right now, but I also think that Ryan needs a bit of playing time to feel comfortable, while Jankowski probably needed a bit of a kick in the pants (though I personally didn't have any issues with any of his games thus far).

Either way, having Peluso might be good for Ryan - Peluso has been good in the corners, and with probably only getting in 5 minutes in the game, this allows for Ryan to maybe play with Tkachuk (who I assume Peters will give a bit more ice to in front of everyone coming to watch him), or somebody else who is running hot tonight.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #77
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I agree. I think he lacks the offensive instincts to really make a guy like Tkachuk achieve his potential. I would give Jankowski a chance with him. Jankowski just has so much more awareness on the ice for where a guy is going to instinctively go and uses his linemates better than any of our centers. Unfortunately, to date, he has not been paired with any forwards that have the smarts and capability of Tkachuk, except for the one game to end last season. Backlund is a great defensive forward, very much in the Guy Carbonneau mold, but I don't see a player like Tkachuk achieving his full potential with Backlund as his pivot.
Good. Tkachuk is gonna cost 6.5 plus anyway.
He can achieve his full potential after he signs a long term deal.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #78
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't the decision to start Smith. He gives you your best chance to win. That can be the case any night but a victory tonight and you are 3-1 to start the year, which is a strong start for once. Lose and your are back to 2-2 and now under pressure to avoid a 2-3 start.
I'm of the mind that getting off to a strong start takes the pressure of this team through the balance of the year. There are always going to be dips, but when you start the year with one, it basically means you're going to be grippin' it from there on out.
I can see why you'd want to play the starter. The Flames might be in a tight playoff with the Blues come March/April. But does Smith really give the Flames the best chance to win?

If goalies are getting more "bruised", they may need more rest more often.
Smith has an awful track record after shutouts (at least with the Flames), he's also be weak against the Blues in general.

Rittich has done well in a backup role in the past. We don't want him to get too rusty.

And even if Rittich doesn't give us the best record tonight, we might want to consider: which decision will ultimately make the Flames end up with the most wins possible?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #79
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No big deal. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
No offence but that sounds like a “no good” quote .
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I can see why you'd want to play the starter. The Flames might be in a tight playoff with the Blues come March/April. But does Smith really give the Flames the best chance to win?

If goalies are getting more "bruised", they may need more rest more often.
Smith has an awful track record after shutouts (at least with the Flames), he's also be weak against the Blues in general.

Rittich has done well in a backup role in the past. We don't want him to get too rusty.

And even if Rittich doesn't give us the best record tonight, we might want to consider: which decision will ultimately make the Flames end up with the most wins possible?
Rittich will be in on Saturday for sure, giving him a game and giving Smith 6 days of rest before presumably his next start. FWIW Rittich beat the Avs last year for his first win.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blues , game thread