Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames New Peter Maher and George Johnson book

Looks like this was released yesterday. Foreword by Jarome Iginla

https://www.amazon.ca/If-These-Walls...QGP0XJ0726RAYB

Quote:
As the radio voice of the Calgary Flames from 1980 until his retirement in 2014, Peter Maher has witnessed more than his fair share of Flames action up close and personal--from the 1989 Stanley Cup championship to the individual brilliance of stars like Lanny McDonald, Al MacInnis, Theo Fleury, and Jarome Iginla. Through singular anecdotes only Maher can tell as well as conversations with current and past players, If These Walls Could Talk: Calgary Flames provides fans with a one-of-a-kind, insider's look into the great moments, the lowlights, and everything in between. No Flames fan will want to miss this book.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ saw it in Chapters on the weekend

Interesting note. Peter was speaking about it and said he actually dictated a lot of these stories and sent them to George Johnson for grammar, editing, etc

Given the author, I would like to see an audiobook!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ saw it in Chapters on the weekend

Interesting note. Peter was speaking about it and said he actually dictated a lot of these stories and sent them to George Johnson for grammar, editing, etc

Given the author, I would like to see an audiobook!
Seconded
Old 10-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were both on the Fan yesterday, recounting a hilarious story about Maher's love of seafood.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to reading this!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm currently reading it. It's really good. Just Peter feeling a bunch of hockey stories. Really enjoying it so far.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to be a must-buy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Interesting that when I open the link on Amazon, it says it’s the #1 bestseller in “British Columbia Travel Guides”....
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #9
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grabbed it, looking forward to it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

I'll echo the sentiment someone posted in the locked Fata thread - it's a bit plodding - basically 1 pagers of "I was in this rink, and we were far from the ice, then they built a new rink, and it was much improved!" I'm about 75 pages in though, so maybe after the broadcasting section it'll pick up.

I did like the story about Charlie Bourgeois refusing to do an interview because he was too afraid to walk the wooden catwalk in the old Forum, or MLG (can't recall which).

I imagine part of it is that Peter is just waay too classy to say anything even slightly negative about anyone.

I think the world of Peter, and will say that as a life long Flames fan, it's nice to read about some of the forgotten guys of the early years.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh didn't realize mine was in the locked thread.

It's a bit of a slog, imo. It is great overall, as you get a nice run through Flames history through Peter Maher, but it's very Peter Maher. "I worked with this guy, this guy was great to work with/I met this guy, this guy was really nice to meet".

Not so much the cool behind the scenes stories I was hoping for, but like others have mentioned - definitely a nice read for anyone that's followed the Flames for years.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter Maher was on with Mike Richards this week and I was immediately 15 years old again. I used to never miss a Maher/Richards segment - you could hear the admiration Richards had for Pete every day.

First of all, do we know if Maher retired on his own, or was he pushed out? Because if he was removed before he wanted to go, that's just awful. He's only 68 years old. He could've gone another 15 years.

Second. I'm sitting in my car wondering why Brad Curle is not the voice of the Flames. He's an exponentially better announcer than Wills, he's been here for fifteen years, and I don't hate listening to Curle on the radio. Maybe you think "sweeeeeeet victory" is lame, but I think it's lame when your lead broadcaster's institutional memory begins with the Findaway Flames (lol).

Third. The best play by play men are born on the east coast.

Peter Maher: Campbellton, New Brunswick.

Danny Gallivan: Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Bob Cole: St John's.

Cuthbert and Hewitt are from Toronto.

Derek Wills doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, so I don't know where he's from.

I miss Peter Maher and I wish he was still calling these games.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curley is an excellent play by play. Smooth and describes the action as well as anyone without being repetitive. He’s really good
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #14
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Peter Maher was on with Mike Richards this week and I was immediately 15 years old again. I used to never miss a Maher/Richards segment - you could hear the admiration Richards had for Pete every day.

First of all, do we know if Maher retired on his own, or was he pushed out? Because if he was removed before he wanted to go, that's just awful. He's only 68 years old. He could've gone another 15 years.

Second. I'm sitting in my car wondering why Brad Curle is not the voice of the Flames. He's an exponentially better announcer than Wills, he's been here for fifteen years, and I don't hate listening to Curle on the radio. Maybe you think "sweeeeeeet victory" is lame, but I think it's lame when your lead broadcaster's institutional memory begins with the Findaway Flames (lol).

Derek Wills doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, so I don't know where he's from.

I agree with this. Derek Wills tries hard enough but just isn’t good. His announcer voice he “puts on” is completely ridiculous. Peter loubardias is seriously horrendous too. It’s amazing that every game player x has “the best shift I’ve seen him have all year” “or as good a save he’s made all year” EVERY GAME! They feed off each other too, not in a good way. They just become more outlandish than the other one. They’re like jack Edwards but without the emotion and just the ridiculousness

I often wonder if Maher got pushed out. I thought at first maybe it wS something wrong with him and he wanted to quit before it got worse (like an Alzheimer’s type thing) I really hope not and from seeing him around he seems healthy and happy so curious what happened

I really miss the days of Peter Maher and Doug Barkley and Mike Rogers
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #15
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got it for my birthday yesterday. Look forward to reading it on my vacation next week.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Port Colborne ON.