Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #321
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames will have no problem getting everyone signed under the cap.

My conspiracy theory is that the NHL will make sure the leafs are able to fit all their star players under the cap, watch it increase by $15 mil next season.

Also, Derek Ryan is so far not an upgrade on stajan from what i've seen, but at least the money is essentially a lateral move. Only thing Ryan brings is exceptional face-off ability, the rest of his game is soft and he doesn't appear to be as fast as everyone seems to think. He's basically a poor man's paul byron
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #322
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

We all knew when he signed he was likely going to be a Stajan replacement.

He is faster and has better face-off ability but you are right he isn't too much to write home about.

I think as long as he continues bringing his speed and winning FO's on the 4th line and PK it will be fine for 3 seasons. He has more offence than Stajan too we just haven't seen it because we only have 4 productive forwards so far.

I don't mind him being here now that I know Peter's isn't going to overuse him on the 3rd line and PP if he doesn't have to.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #323
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was the danger in signing Ryan - he seemed to get a lot of opportunity in Carolina (IIRC, especially his offensive zone starts), and this increased his point production. With him finding himself pushed down the lineup more, it will be hard-pressed for him to see the same results here.

Also, Stajan was overpaid, but was he really a worse 4th liner? Stajan was important for two reasons - he took a lot of defensive assignments and he was a leader on the team. Now, if Ryan starts finding ways to produce from the 4th line, or injuries occur and he moves up the lineup and produces there, then great. However, if he doesn't produce much more than Stajan, then I will argue that he isn't an upgrade on Stajan, at the very least not a noteworthy upgrade.

Neal and Ryan both have to find a way to get going here. I think it is safe to say that they both have looked good in spurts here and there (especially in the preseason), but they will have to find a way to contribute.

I do find plays dying on Frolik's stick this season thus far, but one thing that can't be ignored is how much of a worker he is and how valuable he is on the forecheck and in a defensive role.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #324
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm far more concerned about Neal than I am about Ryan, to be honest. Neal is paid almost twice as much and has done just about as much as Ryan has while also looking slower.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #325
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Flames will have no problem getting everyone signed under the cap.

My conspiracy theory is that the NHL will make sure the leafs are able to fit all their star players under the cap, watch it increase by $15 mil next season...
Yeah? How does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #326
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah? How does that work?
It was a joke... Sorry for trying to have fun on CP.

But actually will be funny if somehow the league finds a way to jack up the salary cap by enough for the leafs to fit matthews, marner, nylander, gardiner, reilly, etc. Would be reeeally convenient..
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote