Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2022, 01:10 AM   #7561
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Thompson has taken a huge step forward this year and I don't think Buffalo would have much interest in moving him right now.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:23 AM   #7562
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Thompson has taken a huge step forward this year and I don't think Buffalo would have much interest in moving him right now.

Makes sense. A lot of potential in a player like that. Hard part with Buffalo right now is the only players they have left of any value to trade are pretty young. Thompson is practically the oldest of the good players they have left and he is only 24.

Plus Buffalo has been so bad for so long that more draft picks/players won’t interest them as much as having players in that 20-25 age range that are ready to take big steps. They need to start getting better before they lose their latest round of high picks (Cousins/Power/Dahlin) to trade demands for not making progress as a team… just like they did with eichel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:52 AM   #7563
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Understood. Personally I hope to keep Tkachuk myself than make those moves.

Is Miller a center? It seems like he is always on the wing when I have watched him play? I see him listed as one on HockeyDB.

Miller is 5 years older than Tkachuk so I do t like the thought of making that swap unless the Flames get an amazing young piece for Chucky.

If the Flames pay futures and do not have the Tkachuk-Gaudreau framework at least in place then I think they need to stick in the small pond instead of going after the big fish
He can play center or wing

Even when he plays with petterson he takes all the draws
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:34 AM   #7564
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andy Strickland just said twice that Phil Kessel can be had for a second round pick on SN 960.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 07:42 AM   #7565
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would cost too much. Big part of their future plans (Tage Thompson)
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #7566
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Andy Strickland just said twice that Phil Kessel can be had for a second round pick on SN 960.
Give ‘em a third, Phil is having a down season but still can play.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/8793/phil-kessel
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #7567
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Kessel a UFA?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:11 AM   #7568
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Is Kessel a UFA?
He is. Also had a modified no trade and a no movement clause. Apparently he is also cousins with David Moss.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:26 AM   #7569
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post

Doesn't fit into the Sutter culture and has a massive iron man streak (meaning it's more difficult to press box him when he is useless). Pass.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #7570
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Doesn't fit into the Sutter culture and has a massive iron man streak (meaning it's more difficult to press box him when he is useless). Pass.
100 percent agree, he doesn't scream 200foot player or a player that would modify his game, it seems like he just wants to play his own game. To be fair he has had a great result doing and has previous success. I just see so many better options then Kessel at this point in his career.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scobel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #7571
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I'm watching the Avs/Bruins game right now, and one guy who I wonder about constantly is Tyson Jost. If the Avs bring in some depth before the deadline, perhaps they would be willing to part with him? Especially now that Newhook is a regular.

He's an Alberta boy, 23 years old, selected 10th overall by the Avs in 2016. I still think there's a real player there-watching him now, you can see the skill and speed, and he works hard. I think he would benefit from a change. Plays C too.
Couldn't agree more and seems like the type of guy who could really pop offensively perhaps later than anticipated, but pop nonetheless.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #7572
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's been mentioned before, but I really like the idea of going after Calle Jarnkrok from Seattle. I've been a fan of his since his Nashville days before I even knew he was Lindy's cousin.

He isn't a big time scorer, but he has been remarkably consistent as a reliable secondary scorer and can play up and down the line-up. He has a really good motor, can play a scrappy style, and when he does contribute, it always seems timely. He definitely has a clutch factor.

His cap hit is low and wouldn't stop the Flames from making other rental acquisitions as well. Plus, we know Sutter loves his Swedes.

Plus, if we could re-sign him on a decent deal, it could maybe help us land Forsberg in the offseason if things don't work out with extending JG. Jarnkrok and Forsberg are apparently good friends off the ice and played well together in Nashville.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #7573
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I like bring here Laine too. He looks like a players who is lost. But if he come back to a hockey market and play for a team with a coach who can help him, he may become a great player for us.
The problem is where does the money to keep him come from? How do you fit a new contract for him along with our other guys that need a contract?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:18 AM   #7574
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post

We have an extra 2nd from Florida but no 3rd or 4th this year. Maybe give that to Arizona on the condition that we reach the Conference Finals with him playing in at least 50% of the games? Similar to the Kris Russell to Dallas deal.

Lucic-Monahan-Eberle
Dube-Ruzicka-Kessel

Oof. He probably gets minimal 5v5 shifts, all with offensive zone starts, and takes Mangiapane's place on the second powerplay. Andrew then can get doubleshifted for the 4th line RW at even strength once in a while?
https://twitter.com/user/status/1370254571180806147

Either way, been on board the Hot Dog Phil train from day one. I enjoy a trade much more if it has maximum meme potential. Which is why I'm also on the 'Old Boys Club' Eberle train.

He's good. Trotz has whipped the Oiler stink off of him.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #7575
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Phil Kessel gets the iron man record because it would be one of the most confusing and unlikely things to happen ever.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #7576
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Eberle idea but only if it includes salary retention. Two more years at 5.5 after this one could cost us Mangiapane or Kylington.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:33 AM   #7577
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Say you are unable to sign Gaudreau.
Money too high of Philadelphia is just a better family situation.

What would it be worth to send the rights to Gaudreau (so the Flyers can sign him to an eighth year) and we take back Van Riemsdyk and his one year $7M contract?

They don't a second round pick the next couple of years which would normally be in the range. Frost at 22 looks like he will be a tweener and not worth the addition.

I think if we can’t sign him and he want to go to UFA we should at least try a sign and trade with Philadelphia. I think JVR and Konecny would help us and Philadelphia fit Gaudreau’s new contract in. What would need to be added?

I also really like the idea of going after Jarnkrok from Seattle for a run this year, not sure we have what it will take but that is kind of what we need a good middle six RH winger who pushes either Lucic or Dube down the lineup.
FranksandBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #7578
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksandBean View Post
I think if we can’t sign him and he want to go to UFA we should at least try a sign and trade with Philadelphia. I think JVR and Konecny would help us and Philadelphia fit Gaudreau’s new contract in. What would need to be added?

I also really like the idea of going after Jarnkrok from Seattle for a run this year, not sure we have what it will take but that is kind of what we need a good middle six RH winger who pushes either Lucic or Dube down the lineup.
I don't think our GM is going to do that deal from Philly....it does absolutely nothing for Calgary, do you honestly think Calgary makes the playoffs next year without Johnny? Essentially your doing Philly a favor with that deal. It would make more sense to rebuild at that point. They only deal that makes sense is a sign and trade for a high draft pick, look what Buffalo got for Eichel, a significant downgrade in talent.
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #7579
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I hope Phil Kessel gets the iron man record because it would be one of the most confusing and unlikely things to happen ever.
Hot dog sales will go through the roof.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #7580
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I like the Eberle idea but only if it includes salary retention. Two more years at 5.5 after this one could cost us Mangiapane or Kylington.
Since Eberle is good and not overpaid, making Seattle retain cap for 2+ years would make this a very, very expensive acquisition.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote