Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2023, 07:55 AM   #1
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Next Years Roster

Maybe a little ahead of the game. But from the current roster the Flames will have 10 forwards, 6 D and 2 goalies under contract (if you don’t count Kylington) at $79,537,000.

It’s believed the new cap will be $83,500,000. So the Flames will have $3,963,000 to sign 5 players to fill out the 23 man roster. If Kylington is back they’ll have $1,463,000 to sign 4 players.

So if the cap isn’t going up by more than the predicted $1 million it looks like they are going to have a problem. The Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar and Mangiapane contracts are the ones that stand out as much higher than their peers.

Either the cap goes up more than $1 million, they dress a smaller roster (21 vs 23 with the Wranglers in cgy) or some people are leaving in the offseason. Not sure how they will pull things off minus some trades or buyouts.

The above assumes Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Stone aren’t back. Duehr and Stecher are the others with expiring contracts that I would bring back.

Math will not be the Flames friend this summer.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:10 AM   #2
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Maybe a little ahead of the game. But from the current roster the Flames will have 10 forwards, 6 D and 2 goalies under contract (if you don’t count Kylington) at $79,537,000.

It’s believed the new cap will be $83,500,000. So the Flames will have $3,963,000 to sign 5 players to fill out the 23 man roster. If Kylington is back they’ll have $1,463,000 to sign 4 players.

So if the cap isn’t going up by more than the predicted $1 million it looks like they are going to have a problem. The Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar and Mangiapane contracts are the ones that stand out as much higher than their peers.

Either the cap goes up more than $1 million, they dress a smaller roster (21 vs 23 with the Wranglers in cgy) or some people are leaving in the offseason. Not sure how they will pull things off minus some trades or buyouts.

The above assumes Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Stone aren’t back. Duehr and Stecher are the others with expiring contracts that I would bring back.

Math will not be the Flames friend this summer.
Yes.

Sounds like a good discussion for after the draft.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:16 AM   #3
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s been known since last year that a least one of Calgary’s core players would need to go after this season.

Nothing new here.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #4
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It’s been known since last year that a least one of Calgary’s core players would need to go after this season.

Nothing new here.
I'd say 2 at minimum.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:26 AM   #5
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Feel like either Mangiapane or Tanev will not be returning.

With the emergence of Pelletier we have more than enough viable LW options (Huberdeau, Dube and Pelletier). Dube and Pelletier combined do not make what Mangiapane is making so it makes sense on a roster structure level to look at moving him.

For Tanev, his value is as high as it will ever be. If Kylington decides to come back than it also makes sense to also move on.

We also need to to find another capable right winger who can play top 6 minutes so moving both may also be in the cards.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:39 AM   #6
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could also likely see Vladar traded away to allow for Wolf to move up and backup Markstrom. Give him a year or two as the backup and then see if he's ready for the starter's job. Might happen even sooner than that based on what we've seen this year.

I agree that a contract or two might be on the move out to make room for a younger player or two. Cheaper and likely more effective.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t think they need to move anyone of any significance to make the numbers work. If Kylington is playing then they might, but otherwise put him on IR and trade Vladar. That’s just about enough if the rest of the roster is filled out with rookie/league min contracts
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:03 AM   #8
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have a good number of young forwards to fit into the main roster. We've got Pelletier, Dueher, Ruzicka already. Zary and Coronato are ready. Easy to see a pretty sizeable shift in the fw ranks this off-season. I like it.

D is where we need some fancy dancing in regards to making things fit.

With only Rasmus and Weegar signed beyond next season and Hanifin needing a pretty decent raise, there's some things that need to happen in a pretty big way.

Shilly being a major unknown makes him unmoveable until that clears up, Tanevs age plays against him, and there's not any help coming from the farm in the next two or three seasons.

Guys like Kuznetsov, Solovyov are a ways away yet. And those are just the two D men I'm aware of in the system who are anywhere near NHL ice. And I'm not certain they're that close.

We know what we have in the goaltending pipeline. After Wolf it's Sergeev and then a couple tiers down, Chechelev.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:06 AM   #9
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t think they need to move anyone of any significance to make the numbers work. If Kylington is playing then they might, but otherwise put him on IR and trade Vladar. That’s just about enough if the rest of the roster is filled out with rookie/league min contracts
If the focus was only next season, I agree. But zoom out and taking a look at the long term picture? Yeah it needs a lot of work. Deciding who to keep out of the big 6 UFAs is going to require some sort of subtraction from somewhere. And I'd like to believe the Flames want to be ahead of that
Old 03-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think there are actually 7, one of or more of the 7 pending UFAs will be gone. Am guessing the ones they want to keep they will have extension talks and see where that is at and go from there.

My hopes are, keep:
Backlund
Lindholm

Depends on contract asks:
Tanev (would give short term and a little less money than now, so probably gone)
Hanifin (would give him long term but in the Weegar range)
Toffoli (short term but a little higher $’s than now)

Move:
Zadorov

No Idea:
Kylington (probably move him if you sign Hanifin, otherwise probably try to sign him, but really who knows what is going on here)
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:13 PM   #11
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Trade Mangiapane
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 12:21 PM   #12
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Moving Zadorov you could run something like:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Coronato
Pelletier - Kadri - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Ruzicka - Dube - Duehr
Extra Extra

Hanifin - Tanev
Weegar - Andersson
Kylington - ?
Extra

Markstrom
Vladar

Would leave you with about 2.5 to fill in the blanks.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:23 PM   #13
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Zadorov is going nowhere

Sutter loves him
Team needs a big guy. Lucic, Ritchie and Gud are gone

One of few guys publicly said he loves to play in Calgary
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:28 PM   #14
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bring in Gudas on a cheaper deal if they want a tough guy that takes penalties.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaskyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 12:47 PM   #15
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the 7 key free agents
Lindholm - possible extension but if price is above 8.5 then trade should be the way to go
Backlund - re-sign to a 3 year deal hopefully at a discount. Would go 4-5 years if the discount is steep. Trade only if he doesn’t want to sign
Dube - sign to a long term deal this summer
Toffoli - should sell high this summer
Hanifin- same as Lindholm. If he wants more than 8 then I would look to trade him but would be okay at a 7x7 type deal
Tanev- maybe trade this summer or maybe re-sign if there is a discount and it is short term
Zadorov - trade, sign, walk to free agency are all options I would consider.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:33 PM   #16
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
Moving Zadorov you could run something like:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Coronato
Pelletier - Kadri - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Ruzicka - Dube - Duehr
Extra Extra

Hanifin - Tanev
Weegar - Andersson
Kylington - ?
Extra

Markstrom
Vladar

Would leave you with about 2.5 to fill in the blanks.
Coronato - 0 pro games, 3rd in points on his Harvard team.
Pelletier - 99 AHL and 22 NHL games.

Coronato is probably playing in the AHL for 1 or 2 years before he makes the show and Pelletier will still have to push pretty hard next year to even make the team full time. Mang has scored 35 in this league and Dube is pacing close to 50pts this year. Not sure how you can gift Coronato and Pelletier top6 spots over these two players.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:39 PM   #17
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post

Coronato is probably playing in the AHL for 1 or 2 years before he makes the show and Pelletier will still have to push pretty hard next year to even make the team full time. Mang has scored 35 in this league and Dube is pacing close to 50pts this year. Not sure how you can gift Coronato and Pelletier top6 spots over these two players.
My guess would then be that Coronato isn't signing here. Flames are likely making guarantees that he'll be on the NHL roster in order to get him signed.

I would say that slotting Pelletier and Coronato to be top-6 forwards likely means that it's not going to be a playoff season. I just don't think either player is going to be that sort of impact player, at least not out of the gate...

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-18-2023 at 06:42 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:09 PM   #18
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is the current 2023-24 roster, based on a $83,500,000 cap, everyone that's currently signed, and Duehr (pending RFA):

Huberdeau ($10.50M) - Lindholm ($4.85M) - Toffoli ($4.25M)
Mangiapane ($5.80M) - Backlund ($5.35M) - Coleman ($4.90M)
Pelletier ($0.863M) - Kadri ($7.00) - Ruzicka ($0.775M)
XXX - Dube ($2.30M) - Duehr ($0.762M)
XXX

Weegar ($6.25M) - Andersson ($4.55M)
Hanifin ($4.95M) - Tanev ($4.50M)
Kylington ($2.50M) - Zadorov ($3.75M)
Gilbert ($0.762M)

Markstrom ($6.00M)
Valdar ($2.20M)

Cap space: $537,000

That's definitely not enough space to fill out a 22 or 23-man roster. Obvious potential courses of action:

If Kylington doesn't come back, the Flames can suspend him, toll the contract, buy him out, or do something to free up his $2.5M, which would be enough to sign more two plugs and a replacement dman.

Valdar could be flipped for a pick and replaced with Wolf, which would open up $1.4M for the last two spots (Valdar's salary minus $0.813M for Wolf)

Hanifin and his $4.95M could be traded for a nice package, which would really change things up.

So many possibilities, but given the rabbit that Treliving pulled out of the hat last year, it really feels too early to speculate.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:18 PM   #19
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot depends on the UFAs. If the Flames get an indication that a player won't resign then they might move him in the off-season.

That said, I think that the most likely candidates to move are:
1. Zadorov
2. Vladar
3. Mangiapane
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #20
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post

They can slide up and down the lineup. Otherwise, like the other poster said, Coronato will be playing somewhere else. Pelletier has been playing top 6 when in the lineup this year. Anything else for him next year would be a disappointment, he can also slide up and down.

You are either going to have that youth playing and learning, or paying a cheap Phil Kessel type on his last legs to play there. They won’t have the money to do anything else, unless you ship another vet like Toffoli out. I hope they let the youth play and learn rather than watching a vet on his last contract try to keep going.