Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2023, 12:03 AM   #21
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like Canadians are superior to the French on this

When Harper tried to do the same thing people lost their minds.

People are living longer, the retirement age needs to be raised.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 12:13 AM   #22
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
There are two sides to every story. It's a bit inauthentic to call yourself a democracy and just shove such a change down.
Disagree, some things are unpopular but necessary. As much as I hated Chretien's arrogance and corruption he made the right decision when he cut the budget to get the country back to financial health, he never would have won an election if he ran on that. Governments first job should be to do what is right for the country. If you put everything to a vote the people would vote for lower taxes and higher entitlements every single time. People are idiots.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 02:34 AM   #23
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
French people are lazy, entitled, and overuse their right to protest.

Yeah, I said it.

Every time I've visited there's been some interruption of some civil service because of a protest or a strike. That's not a functioning society and it's ripe for a big fall in the near future with so many countries populations becoming economically competitive.

Adapt or die...or just protest until it's too late.

That being said. I don't like Macron strong-arming it through, but it does seem like he needs to smack the French population over the head with a sense of the reality they all face. It's a calculated gamble to challenge a vote of no-confidence. We'll see how this plays out, but Macron is no dummy.
We know all about it, we have our own little France up here.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:46 AM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would think it would make sense to phase it in over a few years. Those very close to retiring don't really get time to adjust.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:12 AM   #25
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Disagree, some things are unpopular but necessary. As much as I hated Chretien's arrogance and corruption he made the right decision when he cut the budget to get the country back to financial health, he never would have won an election if he ran on that. Governments first job should be to do what is right for the country. If you put everything to a vote the people would vote for lower taxes and higher entitlements every single time. People are idiots.

Agreed. But there have to be checks and balances for these major decisions. If nobody has the ability to question them, who's to say their decision is the best one? I don't like bureaucracy as that is just a waste of taxpayer money and an easy road to getting nothing done but there has to be a medium to allow critique.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:14 AM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You would think it would make sense to phase it in over a few years. Those very close to retiring don't really get time to adjust.
I honestly don't think they have the budget space to do that. Things are likely a lot closer to collapse than they are letting on. These funds and pensions all survive on tax revenue and investment income, which has been abysmal since the pandemic. Meanwhile input costs have been soaring.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 07:20 AM   #27
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Agreed. But there have to be checks and balances for these major decisions. If nobody has the ability to question them, who's to say their decision is the best one? I don't like bureaucracy as that is just a waste of taxpayer money and an easy road to getting nothing done but there has to be a medium to allow critique.
Checks and balances don't mean a referendum on every issue. The judges decide if legislation is constitutional. Macron isn't doing this for personal gain. In fact, he's risking his political career with an insanely unpopular move.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 07:50 AM   #28
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Checks and balances don't mean a referendum on every issue. The judges decide if legislation is constitutional. Macron isn't doing this for personal gain. In fact, he's risking his political career with an insanely unpopular move.
Referendums can also lead to ridiculously stupid decisions (see Brexit or any of the countless dumb US measures or whatever they call it when they have their votes on cannabis legalization or whatever).

If you have a referendum on it - the options aren't going to be presented as - a) increase pension age or b) pay more taxes/pension to fund it as it is now. It will be evil plan to screw people vs good guy plan to keep the status quo. Evil plan solves a problem, the other just punts it down the road a bit.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:03 AM   #29
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You vote in leaders/parties/representatives not just so they can check off the list of things they said they would do, but because you trust them to make the hard decisions as well. People don’t seem to understand that for whatever reason (I’m remember the complaints about Notley not “running on” a carbon tax in Alberta, something which all provinces were forced to adopt and which she made the best of).

You vote in the person you believe will represent your interests. If that turns out to be untrue, you don’t vote for them next time. This idea that everything should be a referendum or that politicians should do anything they didn’t explicitly campaign on is extremely silly. there should be checks and balances to ensure things are legal/constitutional/without corruption/etc but not to ensure every decision is approved by everyone, that’s called an election and it already happened.

And yes, retirement/pension age needs to go up, probably further than the French did here, almost everywhere. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that retirement will look nothing like it looks now by the time I get there and won’t be protesting any increase when it comes down the line.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I dunno. I don’t know the ins and outs of French retirement rules. But if you planned and worked your life to retire at 62 and the government decides you have to work another 2 years id be very upset.
It may be a bummer for a lot of people close to 62 but two years isn't the end of the world especially when 62 was a very low entry relative to most countries. I understand why people wouldn't be unhappy but sometimes you have to look at the big picture and realize that these things are bigger than what's best for you.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:24 AM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

French better not coming knocking when WW3 kicks off.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:22 AM   #32
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Lol Chretien had no choice in the matter. It was either massive cuts or gov't bonds were going to be junk and the CAD$ would be near worthless.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #33
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Lol Chretien had no choice in the matter. It was either massive cuts or gov't bonds were going to be junk and the CAD$ would be near worthless.
But that's the point. The average person doesn't understand (or maybe even care) about that... They just want their programs and entitlements, damned what it actually takes to provide them.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:28 AM   #34
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unrest in France? Oooh, we're gonna get to see some water cannons!

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #35
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Unrest in France? Oooh, we're gonna get to see some water cannons!

If things get really serious, they might even cut off the head of their head of state. There is precedence.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #36
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche."
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 10:42 AM   #37
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
But that's the point. The average person doesn't understand (or maybe even care) about that... They just want their programs and entitlements, damned what it actually takes to provide them.
I'm just saying that Chretien didn't really have a choice in the matter.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:43 AM   #38
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It may be a bummer for a lot of people close to 62 but two years isn't the end of the world especially when 62 was a very low entry relative to most countries. I understand why people wouldn't be unhappy but sometimes you have to look at the big picture and realize that these things are bigger than what's best for you.
Sounds like an advertisement for climate initiatives.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #39
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
French people are lazy, entitled, and overuse their right to protest.

Yeah, I said it.

Every time I've visited there's been some interruption of some civil service because of a protest or a strike. That's not a functioning society and it's ripe for a big fall in the near future with so many countries populations becoming economically competitive.

Adapt or die...or just protest until it's too late.

That being said. I don't like Macron strong-arming it through, but it does seem like he needs to smack the French population over the head with a sense of the reality they all face. It's a calculated gamble to challenge a vote of no-confidence. We'll see how this plays out, but Macron is no dummy.
Posts like this really demonstrate how good capitalist propaganda/Protestant work ethic BS is.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #40
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Posts like this really demonstrate how good capitalist propaganda/Protestant work ethic BS is.
Interesting thing is...if I had posted something like that you folks would be all over me, calling me this and that and I would have a message from a mod.

Last edited by Yikes; 03-17-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yikes For This Useful Post: