Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2023, 11:41 AM   #2981
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It really is annoying when people post a tweet with no context or commentary or anything. Then won't even reply when people reply to it.
I don't see any posters who do that.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #2982
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

wasn't Musk all about free speech?

I know it's a left leaning news source, but CBC and other outlets are reporting on it too.

Twitter is Censoring Canadian News Outlets and Politicians Tweeting About Civil Liberties in India

The social media company is blocking Canadian news outlets, politicians and activists speaking out about a 'mega crackdown' by Indian police

https://pressprogress.ca/twitter-cen...berties-india/

This seems very "Musk:

"While many accounts providing information or discussing the continued repression of human rights in India are suspended, accounts levelling hate and death threats remain active."
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #2983
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

speaking about Musk and hatred...

How Elon Musk's tweets unleashed a wave of hate

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64989720

My investigation made clear Twitter was never perfect. But it had exposed how hate is thriving under Twitter's new owner. Current and former Twitter employees told me "nobody is taking care of" features designed to protect users from hate and harm.

I had approached Elon Musk as part of my Panorama investigation, but he didn't respond.

Instead, he decided to share his reaction to it afterwards with more than 130 million followers on his social media site.

During my original investigation, I had looked into profiles sending out abuse on Twitter. Many had become more active on the social media site since Elon Musk decided to restore thousands of suspended accounts.

This time, I looked into the accounts sending me abuse. Many of the accounts had become more active since the takeover, and several openly rejoiced how their profiles had returned since Mr Musk bought the platform.

Some were prominent conspiracy theorists brought back by Mr Musk. Several had the new paid-for blue "verified" ticks.

I have approached Elon Musk and Twitter several times to ask about his vision for the social media site. I've been in touch with both Twitter and Mr Musk again to seek their response to the additional spike in hate I've received since his tweets.They have not responded.

Since then, the email account for the Twitter press office now automatically sends out poo emojis in response to requests. Twitter policies, which are publicly available online, say that "defending and respecting the user's voice" remains one of its "core values".
Old 03-27-2023, 03:12 PM   #2984
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

more twitter news:

Twitter hunts Github user who posted source code online

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/twit...line-1.6329974

Some parts of Twitter's source code -- the fundamental computer code on which the social network runs -- were leaked online, the social media company said in a legal filing that was first reported by The New York Times.

It's seeking names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, social media profile data and IP addresses associated with the user account "FreeSpeechEnthusiast" which is suspected of being behind the leak. The name is an apparent reference to Twitter's billionaire owner, Elon Musk, who described himself as a free speech absolutist.

"While this is the internal source code, including internal tools, the biggest immediate risk seems to be reputational," Olejnik said "It highlights the broader problem of Big Tech, which is insider risk," and could undermine trust between Twitter's employees or internal teams, he said.

Musk had promised earlier this month that Twitter would open source all the code used to recommend tweets on March 31, saying that people "will discover many silly things, but we'll patch issues as soon as they're found!
Old 03-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #2985
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like FreeSpeechEnthusiast just saved Musk the annoyance of tasking staff to release the code, he should be thanking them for saving money.

Musk isn't really known for sticking to timelines.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:20 PM   #2986
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Has anyone ever tried to hide Elon Musk's tweets? If you Mark his tweets as" not relevant" or "not interested in these tweets", they disappear for all of about 3 to 4 hours and then promptly show right back up in your feed.

I'm now full out muting his account and we'll see if that works lol
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 05:18 PM   #2987
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Has anyone ever tried to hide Elon Musk's tweets? If you Mark his tweets as" not relevant" or "not interested in these tweets", they disappear for all of about 3 to 4 hours and then promptly show right back up in your feed.

I'm now full out muting his account and we'll see if that works lol
I blocked him ages ago. I don't see content for anyone that I've blocked, but I am starting to see content from people who blocked me on the For You tab, like Eric Francis.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:27 PM   #2988
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

He's so monumentally stupid. Does he think this will drive Twitter Blue usage? Does he understand anything?

Old 03-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #2989
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. Twitter's algorithm's basically promote Musk, Tesla, Starlink and Space X. I don't have an account and don't store cookies, so I get a "clean" view every time, and as I scroll past the tweets I am interested in, I start to notice a pattern. It's basically Musk and accounts that Musk responds to that get all the visibility, like Catturd2, Babylon Bee, CB_Doge, and a few others.

Now he's basically agreed you can send forth bot armies as long as you pay for the privilege.

He' also pushing the narrative that the press can not be trusted, and community notes will be the ultimate arbitrator of the truth, as if the people doing that can be trusted.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #2990
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Why would anyone even use the For You section? The Following section has been great. Only people you follow and in chronological order. You actually get to the "end" of read tweets so you can move off the stupid app. I've never used Twitter less.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #2991
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Why would anyone even use the For You section? The Following section has been great. Only people you follow and in chronological order. You actually get to the "end" of read tweets so you can move off the stupid app. I've never used Twitter less.
I like that, I'll give it a go.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #2992
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The For You section has been filled with Theo Fleury, Jordan Peterson and their ilk the last months, good riddance.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:45 PM   #2993
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
The For You section has been filled with Theo Fleury, Jordan Peterson and their ilk the last months, good riddance.
The "For You" tab curates the tweets that get the most interaction, so it's no surprise that it's usually the inflammatory stuff that gets through
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:15 PM   #2994
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

One more thing - if anyone is using Twitter for Android, you can switch to the Following tab, but if you press the home button, it always switches back to the For You tab.

Wonder if the smarmy little prick is going to get bored of the Following tab altogether. Seems like something he'd axe if you're not following him.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:26 PM   #2995
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Holy ####, he's actually removing any non-verified accounts in the For You section starting April 15.

So basically you'll be served up celebrities and narcissistic chuds with 55 followers.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:25 PM   #2996
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is anyone still on this site?
Old 03-27-2023, 11:55 PM   #2997
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

$55 Billion.

How much good could a person do with that.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:58 PM   #2998
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I blocked him ages ago. I don't see content for anyone that I've blocked, but I am starting to see content from people who blocked me on the For You tab, like Eric Francis.
Ooo, I'm gonna go try and say hello to my old friend Roger Millions
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 10:00 AM   #2999
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Why is anyone still on this site?
If you follow the right people and use it properly it is still the premier tool for breaking news and information.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #3000
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
If you follow the right people and use it properly it is still the premier tool for breaking news and information.
No kidding. I know it’s an old crowd around these parts but complaints about people in your feed and people using the For You tab makes me think it’s grandparents not knowing how to use their fancy smartphones. Not exactly rocket appliances to avoid those pitfalls.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post: