Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2023, 04:01 PM   #1141
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Unless the used plane is a super deep discount, new is more cost effective due to fuel efficiency.

The mistake a lot of new carriers make. In my opinion, is mirroring the 70s-90s model of success using the 737, which is now huge by comparison rather than using a similar size to the 70s to 90s 737 that's now just as if not more fuel efficient, such as the A220.

Canada especially should be served by a low cost carrier running A220s.

I think Porter is on the right track with Dash 8s and the E95 (which they got at a DEEP discount).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:08 PM   #1142
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lease rates were low during Covid, but now as travel is very busy lease rates have gone up substantially.

It may have contributed to the leasing companies desire to get out from Flairs leases….plenty of market and at higher rates than what flair is currently paying.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 03:04 PM   #1143
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any takers here?

Quote:
The researchers asked 780 subjects whether they could land a small commuter plane “without dying” or “as well as a pilot could” if the crew member became incapacitated and they were the only other person onboard. Participants with a valid pilot’s license or who had previously flown or landed a plane were excluded from the study.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1638620671835279361

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-22-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:09 PM   #1144
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course I could. The real question is, will anyone be able to walk away from the "landing".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 03:19 PM   #1145
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

If it's an airbus or boeing, probably. If it's an ancient plane with systems or FMS I haven't played with, then maybe if I hand fly and someone tells me the correct flap settings and speeds.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #1146
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does using the autopilot turned on for a CAT III approach count?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:26 PM   #1147
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah was gonna say the same thing. I could set up an auto landing, but bring it in myself? Lol no
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:29 PM   #1148
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should link the entire article for clarity, the study says it is for a "small commuter plane". Doesn't get specific about what qualifies as that? Are we talking a SAAB 340 like what WestJet Link is using? Dash 8 Q400? CRJ-200? LOL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...it-land-plane/

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-22-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #1149
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright everyone download msfs, buy the CRJ, best landing wins
Old 03-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #1150
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I got my glider pilot's license in my teens and have flown a lot in flight sims, better hope I'm on your flight!
Old 03-22-2023, 03:36 PM   #1151
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just know I was ready to go on our Cessna Caravan flight from Hilo to Kahului last year. Just a big 172 anyways.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #1152
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've flown and landed more planes than I can count in my lifetime. They were made of paper but my point still stands.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:12 PM   #1153
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Alright everyone download msfs, buy the CRJ, best landing wins
Oh god, I hate that it doesn't have autothrottle and I have to do my own VNAV descent rate like a peasant. Can I land the thing in real life? Probably not, I've stalled on approach too many times lol.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #1154
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Oh god, I hate that it doesn't have autothrottle and I have to do my own VNAV descent rate like a peasant.
lol yeah, I love that quirkiness but it definitely makes it harder to just watch youtube during the cruise

I hope the e-jet gets fleshed out soon
Old 04-03-2023, 09:50 AM   #1155
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turbulence ahead for WestJet?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.6797805

Quote:
The union representing WestJet pilots will launch a strike authorization vote Monday as contract talks with management drag on, the Air Line Pilots Association said Friday.
Quote:
If successful, the 15-day authorization vote would set the stage for the bargaining team to call a strike following a three-week "cooling-off period," which in turn would begin after the ongoing federal conciliation process wraps up April 24.

That means the union could go on strike or lockout by the May long weekend, which traditionally kicks off the summer travel season.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:09 PM   #1156
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, but as I understand, WS Pilots are getting paid much less than their USA Counterparts now - if WS doesn't stand up to the plate and pay the pilots what they are worth, it will throw a huge fu** into the spring/summer plans for many of us based in Western Canada. I'm sure AC is looking at this very closely as any WS bargaining outcomes will have a trickle down effect on them as well...

come on Onex - pay your people a comparative wage
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:31 AM   #1157
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, but as I understand, WS Pilots are getting paid much less than their USA Counterparts now - if WS doesn't stand up to the plate and pay the pilots what they are worth, it will throw a huge fu** into the spring/summer plans for many of us based in Western Canada. I'm sure AC is looking at this very closely as any WS bargaining outcomes will have a trickle down effect on them as well...

come on Onex - pay your people a comparative wage
The numbers coming out of the US for new pilot contracts are stunning and there's no way WestJet (or Air Canada) can come close to matching them. Canadian airlines are still in recovery mode and well behind the US carriers in financial health due to how the two federal governments assisted the industry through Covid. Airfares in Canada would go through the roof if we were to try and match US carriers, they are two completely different markets.

Talking to a WestJet pilot friend on the weekend. He's not thrilled or optimistic with how things are going (and he's about the furthest thing there is from an ALPA supporter). Everyone is a little different but for him it's not so much the wages but the take home pay that bothers him most. Benefits are quite poor compared to others and the bonus structure (had to change from share purchases to essentially cash bonus once Onyx bought them) is not what it used to be and is toughest on new pilots.

Added headaches are the different pay structures at Swoop vs mainline, and soon to be Sunwing. This will also have to be resolved.

The gap is pretty big between ALPA and WestJet. This is the second contract now and the first was imposed on both parties by government when they could not agree on the initial one. And practically no progress has been made in the time since.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #1158
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
The numbers coming out of the US for new pilot contracts are stunning and there's no way WestJet (or Air Canada) can come close to matching them. Canadian airlines are still in recovery mode and well behind the US carriers in financial health due to how the two federal governments assisted the industry through Covid. Airfares in Canada would go through the roof if we were to try and match US carriers, they are two completely different markets.

Talking to a WestJet pilot friend on the weekend. He's not thrilled or optimistic with how things are going (and he's about the furthest thing there is from an ALPA supporter). Everyone is a little different but for him it's not so much the wages but the take home pay that bothers him most. Benefits are quite poor compared to others and the bonus structure (had to change from share purchases to essentially cash bonus once Onyx bought them) is not what it used to be and is toughest on new pilots.

Added headaches are the different pay structures at Swoop vs mainline, and soon to be Sunwing. This will also have to be resolved.

The gap is pretty big between ALPA and WestJet. This is the second contract now and the first was imposed on both parties by government when they could not agree on the initial one. And practically no progress has been made in the time since.
Pretty much this. We already complain our airfares for domestic flights are too high. Perhaps there's just no way Canada can compete with US carriers and we have to leave it at that. Bigger budgets, more revenue, more density, likely better margins, all allow for better pay if an airline needs to do so. I don't see how Westjet can really manage to match that. Sadly I know of a few AC pilots even leaving for US jobs, but what do we do?

Part of me wishes I wasn't talked out of being a pilot, BY PILOTS, when I was younger and wanted to be one. It was constant complaints about money and how poor they were, lack of time with family etc. But I look at it now and I sure wish I did it. I'll even take the current pay no problem.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:11 PM   #1159
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Part of me wishes I wasn't talked out of being a pilot, BY PILOTS, when I was younger and wanted to be one. It was constant complaints about money and how poor they were, lack of time with family etc. But I look at it now and I sure wish I did it. I'll even take the current pay no problem.
That’s unfortunate to hear that. It depends so much on who you talk to…..I know people who say that they would discourage their kids from getting into the business, and they dwell on the negatives, but I know many (myself included) who wouldn’t hesitate to do it all over again, even with all the speed bumps along the way.

Much like in every other part of life, some people dwell on the negatives, some enjoy and see the positives, just like we see in the hockey side of the forum.

And of course, now with a pilot shortage actually occurring, many of the downsides are mitigated (the starting pay isn’t as terrible, don’t have to live in the middle of nowhere as long, don’t have to spend years doing grunt work just in the hope to eventually get into an airplane).
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #1160
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got alerted to 2 USAF C17s come into Calgary earlier today - anyone have any info/pics/vids?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote