Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2023, 02:15 PM   #61
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I'll never understand this line of thinking and how someone gets there as a fan.

Playoffs are always better than no playoffs even if you think your team has no shot.

Especially when it's clear the Flames won't drop enough spots to get into the Bedard stakes. They're not gonna drop every game to end the season and that's what it would likely take to get leap frogged by the 4 teams necessary to get that miniscule chance at Bedard.

Playoffs and the 15th or 16th pick will always be better than no playoffs and the 12th-14th pick.

Add in the fact the West doesn't have a Boston-like juggernaut, it makes the hope for just getting in even bigger in my eyes.

Yes, the Flames are unlikely to get in now, and they wouldn't be a favorite or anything close to even money in any series, but to actively hope for losses to squash any hope of making the dance is beyond me.

They're four points out. Could be 2 points out, even on games if WPG loses tonight. Still have a game versus WPG. That's not homer glasses, that's just facts.

As much as last night was embarrassing, they didn't lose points because of it. They didn't drop any spots. They're still in the fight. If they can get to within 1-2 points of WPG before that head to head in early April, game on. They were 7 points back a couple weeks ago, they're 4 now. This isn't impossible. Hard and unlikely, yes.

But it's not a facade as you put it.
It pretty much is a facade though. It's going to probably take a 9-2 run to get in. If you think the team you watched last night going 9-2 is anything more than a pipe dream, I don't know what to say to you.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:15 PM   #62
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I don't think it's fair to say Huberdeau has been playing like he doesn't want to be here.

Kadri on the other hand...
A guy with his abilities doesn't drop from 115 points to maybe 55 while he is giving effort.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #63
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want the team to win or lose every game but I am sure they will do what they can to get to the 9th place finish.

This team is not going to get it together this year. Retool the team over the summer and they can bounce back next year. This year getting the best pick possible seems like the ultimate option.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:26 PM   #64
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I was the same at Mullet arena last Wed.

They never fail to disappoint.
That game wasn't too bad. Back and forth and they still got 1 point. But I watched on TV and wasn't there...
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #65
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
A guy with his abilities doesn't drop from 115 points to maybe 55 while he is giving effort.
The Panthers last year had a lot of set pieces and planned plays... the Flames this year don't do much but throw it on net and hope for rebounds...
Old 03-21-2023, 02:38 PM   #66
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad all the action was at the other end of the ice.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:49 PM   #67
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
It pretty much is a facade though. It's going to probably take a 9-2 run to get in. If you think the team you watched last night going 9-2 is anything more than a pipe dream, I don't know what to say to you.
The team we watched last night won't win another game like that. Good thing the team we watched last night doesn't show up like that very often as evidenced by their league leading stat of game being decided by one goal.

What happened last night it an anamoly.

Do I think this current Flames team can go 9-2 or whatever is needed to get in? I do. Do I think it's likely? Of course not, but I'm not gonna hope for losses while it's happening. That doesn't make any sense to me in the least given there's virtually no realistic upside(we aren't getting into the Bedard sweepstakes).

Playoffs and 15th or 16th pick is always better than no playoffs and 12th-14th pick.

9-2 is not some impossible feat. It's not asking to run the table of 20 games or something that's never been done. Teams go on 9-2 runs. It's extremely tough and nothing leading up to now suggests to me that it's gonna happen with this squad, but I'm certainly ready to see it play out and not throw in the towel.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #68
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The team we watched last night won't win another game like that. Good thing the team we watched last night doesn't show up like that very often as evidenced by their league leading stat of game being decided by one goal.

What happened last night it an anamoly.

Do I think this current Flames team can go 9-2 or whatever is needed to get in? I do. Do I think it's likely? Of course not, but I'm not gonna hope for losses while it's happening. That doesn't make any sense to me in the least given there's virtually no realistic upside(we aren't getting into the Bedard sweepstakes).
If they don't get into the Bedard sweepstakes, it won't be because they can't, it'll be because they don't want to.

Quote:
Playoffs and 15th or 16th pick is always better than no playoffs and 12th-14th pick.
No playoffs and 10th-11th pick (with small chance at Bedard) is far better than no playoffs and 15th-16th pick.

Quote:
9-2 is not some impossible feat. It's not asking to run the table of 20 games or something that's never been done. Teams go on 9-2 runs. It's extremely tough and nothing leading up to now suggests to me that it's gonna happen with this squad, but I'm certainly ready to see it play out and not throw in the towel.
With some teams I could see it happening, but not with this group. Most of its highest paid players (Huby, Kadri, Mang) are massively underperforming. Half the team looks all but checked out. Marky's short burst of excellent play appears to be over.

If they win tonight and the Jets lose, there will still be a glimmer of hope. But otherwise no.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #69
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

WHy does it have to be no playoffs and 12-14th pick why can't we get no playoffs and get a top 5 pick? I would take that option over the 9-2 scenario for a team that went 5-0 to start the season and has not put together a meaningful streak since.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:04 PM   #70
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
WHy does it have to be no playoffs and 12-14th pick why can't we get no playoffs and get a top 5 pick? I would take that option over the 9-2 scenario for a team that went 5-0 to start the season and has not put together a meaningful streak since.
Flames already have 77 points, so a top 5 pick is basically impossible (without the lotto win).
Old 03-21-2023, 03:10 PM   #71
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Flames already have 77 points, so a top 5 pick is basically impossible (without the lotto win).
Watch us win a draft lottery when a prospect like Nail Yakupov is the 1st pick
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #72
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When was the last time we won 3 in a row? And we're expected to do, at a minimum, 3 sets of 3 games in a row (win 3, lose 1, win 3, lose 1, win 3)? Right. Not happening.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #73
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gibson is starting for the Ducks.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #74
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Gibson is starting for the Ducks.
Thank you. Tweet I saw earlier said "Nesterenko (G) gets his first NHL game" He's a (C) not a (G)
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:45 PM   #75
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Thank you. Tweet I saw earlier said "Nesterenko (G) gets his first NHL game" He's a (C) not a (G)
So a hat-trick then.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:45 PM   #76
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
So a hat-trick then.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:47 PM   #77
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll never understand this line of thinking and how someone gets there as a fan.

Playoffs are always better than no playoffs even if you think your team has no shot.

Especially when it's clear the Flames won't drop enough spots to get into the Bedard stakes. They're not gonna drop every game to end the season and that's what it would likely take to get leap frogged by the 4 teams necessary to get that miniscule chance at Bedard.

Playoffs and the 15th or 16th pick will always be better than no playoffs and the 12th-14th pick.

Add in the fact the West doesn't have a Boston-like juggernaut, it makes the hope for just getting in even bigger in my eyes.

Yes, the Flames are unlikely to get in now, and they wouldn't be a favorite or anything close to even money in any series, but to actively hope for losses to squash any hope of making the dance is beyond me.

They're four points out. Could be 2 points out, even on games if WPG loses tonight. Still have a game versus WPG. That's not homer glasses, that's just facts.

As much as last night was embarrassing, they didn't lose points because of it. They didn't drop any spots. They're still in the fight. If they can get to within 1-2 points of WPG before that head to head in early April, game on. They were 7 points back a couple weeks ago, they're 4 now. This isn't impossible. Hard and unlikely, yes.

But it's not a facade as you put it.
We're actually 5 points out when looking at Winnipeg, as they hold the tiebreaker. That's a very large hill to climb with only 11 games remaining.

It's not a Bedard or bust draft. Having the ability to get a higher pick is important for a team that needs to restock their cupboards. We are headed directly for a 9th place finish and yet again a completely middling draft pick. This squad is not making playoffs. I had some hope until I saw that performance last night. I'd like to see the wheels fall off so we can get a little bit higher of a draft pick.

Much like you don't understand my line of thinking, I don't understand your line of thinking that the Flames still have a shot. I just don't see it. But of course I would rather see us sneak into the dance. Always. But it ain't happening.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:03 PM   #78
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

They do in a system that doesn't fit their style of play and when they are paired with people who can't score, especially when they are a playmaker. I watch Huberdeau make several good plays most games, and the resulting shots miss the net, or are shot straight into the goalies chest.

Lucic didn't work with McDavid, yet we gave him 6 weeks on a line with Huberdeau.

He absolutely needs to be better, he makes some really bad plays too, but he doesn't fit in this system. Just like Johnny and Tkachuk didn't either, until last year when they started playing more creatively, and getting away from our system a little bit.

Look no further than Dustin Brown when Darryl took over. Routinely 50 - 60 points, then under Sutter he dropped below 30 points every season Sutter was there. The first two seasons after Sutter left, he had 51 pts (he missed 11 games) and 61pts. The next 3 season weren't as good, but he missed a large number of games each season following.

Last edited by AFireInside; 03-21-2023 at 04:08 PM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:05 PM   #79
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jiri disagrees, but I am hoping for a Pelletier level prospect with the 2nd round pick. I think the draft is that good.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #80
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oddsmakers can't quit this team. Big favorites tonight. Time to make some more money...
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote