Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2023, 01:31 PM   #741
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the multimillion dollar paycheque isn’t enough to put up with a big meanie boss, these players can all get ####ed.

Imagine waking into your office where you’ll collect $10 000 a day, and deciding you’re not going to do your job as well as you can because your boss is a dick. Not a shred of reality if that’s the case man. Never mind he led a team to what should have been success just last year, 300 days of big bad boss and you just get to decide to not try because you don’t like them personally.

Embarrassing.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:32 PM   #742
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Need to change coaches. It's pretty obvious.

You need to hire a coach who will have a good working relationship with your new core players - Huberdeau and Kadri. They're your biggest investment. With their input on coach, play style - you make your moves. You need their buy in. The world has changed. You can't just give a player whatever it is that you decide and tell them to deal with it.

It is now their team. Either Huberdeau or Kadri need to be made Captain.

That sets a pecking order in the dressing room and then you go from there.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:33 PM   #743
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I wouldn't want any of the players back who can leave without being suspended. The UFA'S can all walk. If Kadri and Huberdeau are gonna no-show, we can suspend them and take the cap space.
I doubt the Ufa 4th liners are going to want to leave. Why would they? Sutter loves his aging vets. The other problem with your statement is saying it’s just kadri and hubby . It could be a lot more than that . For me lindholm should be priority #1 on getting an extension. If he’s on the list that won’t play for Sutter , flames are going to have major problems fulfilling their make playoff mandates.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:35 PM   #744
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
If the multimillion dollar paycheque isn’t enough to put up with a big meanie boss, these players can all get ####ed.

Imagine waking into your office where you’ll collect $10 000 a day, and deciding you’re not going to do your job as well as you can because your boss is a dick. Not a shred of reality if that’s the case man. Never mind he led a team to what should have been success just last year, 300 days of big bad boss and you just get to decide to not try because you don’t like them personally.

Embarrassing.
Uh happens in every industry pal. where you living? It's 2023. No one puts up with their boss' #### anymore and if you do, I feel bad for you and you need to find a better situation for yourself. Professional athletes actually have it worse as it's much harder for Huberdeau/Kadri to just find a new situation that suits them better.

There is no amount of money you can get paid to put up with daily BS in a situation where you are not comfortable. This is such boomer mentality. A whole generation that was literally built on mental abuse.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 01:36 PM   #745
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Embarrassing.
What??? Just because somebody makes far more money than you , doesn’t mean they have to be unhappy when going to work . If I’m collecting $10,000 a day from current #### employer , I presume I can find another job at equivalent pay somewhere else.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:36 PM   #746
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh and I guess it’s more like, every single day:
Kadri - $19k
Mangiapane - $15.8K
Lindholm - $13k
Hub - $28.7k

A. Day. Yeah, sorry Flames, if that’s your attitude your disgusting.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:37 PM   #747
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Oh and I guess it’s more like, every single day:
Kadri - $19k
Mangiapane - $15.8K
Lindholm - $13k
Hub - $28.7k

A. Day. Yeah, sorry Flames, if that’s your attitude your disgusting.
Again reality check.

$10M is to Huberdeau as $200K is to an accountant.

It's all relative.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #748
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

“Shut up and skate” is a good attitude to take towards players. Fosters a good environment and will definitely lead to positive results. You get paid a lot of money so put on your big boy pants and play hockey.

It’s why iron fisted despotic GMs and Coaches all have long and well regarded careers. My way or the highway you stupid players do as you’re told.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #749
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
“Shut up and skate” is a good attitude to take towards players. Fosters a good environment and will definitely lead to positive results. You get paid a lot of money so put on your big boy pants and play hockey.

It’s why iron fisted despotic GMs and Coaches all have long and well regarded careers. My way or the highway you stupid players do as you’re told.
Pretty much applicable to any walk of life.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #750
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:

Embarrassing.
Look. These athletes are insanely privileged and make more money than most of us ever will. But that doesn’t mean they have to tolerate playing in a toxic environment. You want your players to feel as comfortable as possible to give them a chance to succeed. So many insiders have all said that the atmosphere in Calgary’s room is not fun. Players in Boston last year didn’t like the environment their last coach created, they let him go and got a new coach who created a more fun environment for them to succeed and look at the results. Just because these guys are millionaires doesn’t mean they have to tolerate BS

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 03-21-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #751
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post

You need to hire a coach who will have a good working relationship with your new core players - Huberdeau and Kadri. They're your biggest investment. With their input on coach, play style - you make your moves. You need their buy in. The world has changed. You can't just give a player whatever it is that you decide and tell them to deal with it.

These two have done nothing to deserve the privilege of wearing the C. That would be a slap in the face to guys like Iggy and Gio who wore it with pride and would literally do anything for the organization.

You want a captain then name Backlund. What a disgrace it would be to anoint either Kadri or Huberdeau with that honor.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ferarri For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 01:56 PM   #752
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Embarrassing.
The amount of money they make is irrelevant as you are comparing those salaries to that of an average person. These are NHL players and they will make NHL salaries. They are humans, and if they have a bad boss it is not surprising at all that they may not perform well or even tune out said boss.

It is pretty simple to me. You have a $84 million dollar asset that has a track record of creating offence at an elite level. It needs to be the Flames priority to maximize the output of that asset and if it means a coaching change then so be it (as I don't know if you will be able to move that Huberdeau contract).

Goaltending and defensive play will also need to be addressed (although not sure how much of the defensive play is the team tuning out Sutter). You fix the defensive play and that will address some of the goaltending as well.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 02:00 PM   #753
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like Calgary is wracking up a pretty impressive recent history of mean coaches. Hartley, Peters, and now Sutter. Amazing to think that someone like Backlund can play through all of them with nary a complaint. Seems like it's a certain type of player that often causes a fuss and then the fans and media scream from the rooftops about how hard it is to be a player these days.

Still find it so surprising that Sutter has gone from a local hero to public enemy #1 because of Nazem Kadri and Jonathan Huberdeau. Where does Bradley fit into this equation? Shouldn't he bare some responsibility for piecing together a crappy roster and hiring all these mean coaches?
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:01 PM   #754
just_tim
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post

From personal experience, I’ve have, and I’ve known others that have, walked away from a job that paid stupid money because it was toxic. No amount of money can solve working in an environment designed to crush joy, to remove creativity and impose assimilation. Why sign players that have a proven track record and then, instead of coaching to their strengths, coach them into a system that fails both them and the team? It’s why Sutter was a win-now hire, and now that the win-now window is closed, he has lost the room.
just_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to just_tim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 02:02 PM   #755
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Its always been extremes. Hard ass, player's coach, repeat.

There are in-betweens.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:08 PM   #756
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Embarrassing.
This is just jealous bs though. You have to think of it from the opposite perspective. These are highly valued athletes. They can choose to go to other markets and still make millions of dollars. They can easily use their work performance to improve their own conditions, especially those who are locked into guaranteed contracts. In fact, that is one of the few ways they would actually have to change their working conditions.

Does it suck for us fans that they are acting this way? Yeah. But they are within their rights to perform as they choose given their work environment.

I have traded money for working for a ####ty person. It is terrible. It effects your whole life. I lost a bunch of weight and developed some terrible habits I am still trying to pull myself out of, and I was only in the fryer for 1.5 years. I decided to get the hell out and traded a 40% salary decrease for it. Totally worth it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #757
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post

Do not disagree with your post at all and the first comment about needing to change coaches but at what point do we stop blaming coaches and ice a better hockey team?

We have won 3 first rounds in 30 plus years, 2 of those rounds with the guy behind the bench right now.

Countless coaches that did not win anything here, why dont we blame the GM? He is the one that hires these coaches, ices the roster... based on what i have seen, the next coach is going to be outed by the flames in short order, it happens with every single coach... why would that change?
Old 03-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #758
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Embarrassing.
This is just a poor take. Maybe if all 32 teams had the same BS it would have merit but why would you want to live in a small market fishbowl playing in the worst rink in the league for a massive jerk coach? Tkachuk decided that he wanted to play for a little less money in a much better climate and market for him.

People leave jobs due to toxic culture all the time. People leave money on the table for a better work environment. When you get to the top of your field you have options.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:22 PM   #759
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why do some of you think players are robots? "Just play better" flip the switch stop sucking. Is that how you are at your job? No matter how bad your boss is and how miserable you are, you still perform at peak?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 02:24 PM   #760
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Ward had just put Johnny Lindy Chucky together. Maybe the fireworks go off and the coaching change never happens?

Sigh, Monahan's injuries reeeeeeeeeeeeally ####ed this team...