Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2024, 05:09 PM   #1
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2023/24 WHL Season Thread

Not sure if anyone cares too much, but thought I'd start a thread anyways just in case.

Imagine you're a Wenatchee season ticket holder for their first season, you're excited because the team moved to your town after finishing 1st in the WHL the year prior and then made it to the WHL Championship series. And now half way through the season they are leading the US division and about to get two of their top players back......then those players get traded lol

I dunno dudes. I'd be pretty pissed.

Anyways, the Wild traded Geekie and Savoie today for an absolute haul of 3 players and eleven draft picks, including four 1st and two 2nds.

Geekie went to swift, and Savoie went to Mosse jaw.

Moose Jaw is currently 5 points behind Wenatchee in the standings, and Swift is currently 9 points behind them.

Real head scratcher for sure.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 06:45 PM   #2
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if you make it a CHL thread not just WHL you’ll get more people involved
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:04 PM   #3
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They made some odd moves right off the bat firing what was a HC and GM that had built one of the top teams in the league right away and putting in their guys, that while successful, had only been in a lesser league. Maybe the GM and coach didn't want to move but it seems to have set the tone they want it to be "their" team and maybe this move signifies that as well.

There were rumours yesterday about the Geekie move to Swift who in Lethbridge, but in didn't make much sense to me because Swift Current aren't any good and certainly not ready to compete. They did just add a 2nd round NHL draft pick so maybe they think they can go on a run and have more moves up their sleeves, but it doesn't make much sense for either team.

The MJ move I understand they are a good team and with no top team in the East they are likely now the favorites or at least have as good a chance as Saskatoon.

They got a ton of picks but you would think it would make sense for the first season to go on a big run, drive up interest and get a solid fanbase.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:38 PM   #4
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

They had to do it as the draft pick cupboard was bare. They had ~2 picks in the top 5 in the next two drafts before this move. Winnipeg sold the farm to win last year so the rebuild was due. They just got lucky with a couple stud 19’s still marketable. I love this move for us but really hope there’s a goalie move to come.

Last edited by speede5; 01-05-2024 at 06:26 AM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:25 AM   #5
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard about Geekie/ Savoie for a while being traded. Wenatchee wants to be relevant for future years. The cupboard was bare with draft picks.

Wonder if Wenatchee isn't done.... Daniel Hauser? Woo or Sward too.. maybe both?

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
They had to do it as the draft pick cupboard was bare. They had ~2 picks in the top 5 in the next two drafts before this move. Winnipeg sold the farm to win last year so the rebuild was due. They just got lucky with a couple stud 19’s still marketable. I love this move for us but really hope there’s a goalie move to come.
It will never happen because I think this management/coaching group is happy to finish 8th and pretend we have a chance in the play-offs but if you still have valuable pieces left can I interest you in a Harrison Meneghin? He is a great goalie and keeps us in plenty of games we should not be in, but we aren't winning anything with him and he would be a great addition to any team that can compete and need a goalie.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:17 PM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ooof

Tigers are pummeling the TC Americans 10-0 in 3rd period tonight.

Gavin McKenna has a 5 assist night going, he turned 16 just 2.5 weeks ago
Old 01-07-2024, 08:05 PM   #8
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tigers thumped TC 12-1 last night, and then Spokane today 10-4 after being down 3-0 to start the game.

This is while missing probable top five 2024 draftee Cayden Lindstrom from the line up.

McKenna put 4 more points today and had 10 points in the three games in three days stretch they just had.

He now has 46 points in 33 games which is something because the aforementioned Lindstrom has 46 points in 32 games and while he is probably top 5 in this years draft, McKenna is two years younger putting up similar numbers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 08:10 AM   #9
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw McKenna live at the Save-On Foods Arena in Victoria about three months ago and he is the real deal. It's unreal how poised and confident he is with the puck and such a smooth skater. As most people know, he is Connor Bedard's cousin and releases the puck just like Bedard. As Roof-Daddy said above, he just turned 16 and is 6 feet tall, he might even put on 2-3 more inches of height before he's done growing.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 01:42 PM   #10
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Tigers thumped TC 12-1 last night, and then Spokane today 10-4 after being down 3-0 to start the game.

This is while missing probable top five 2024 draftee Cayden Lindstrom from the line up.

McKenna put 4 more points today and had 10 points in the three games in three days stretch they just had.

He now has 46 points in 33 games which is something because the aforementioned Lindstrom has 46 points in 32 games and while he is probably top 5 in this years draft, McKenna is two years younger putting up similar numbers.
He is now being credited with a goal against Tri-City Saturday. Gving him a six-point night with five assists.

Named the WHL's player of the week after putting up 13 points in four games.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 06:21 PM   #11
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I guess the Hurricanes aren't throwing in the towel this year.

Anholt has been busy today.

He added two 20 year old forwards, Sean Tschigerl from Calgary and Dylan Sydor from Kamloops. On the way out were 20 year old Swetlikoff and four draft picks, two 2nds and two 3rds mostly from the '25 draft.

Also grabbed 19 year old Colton Langkow (Daymond Langkows kid) prospect Kai Anderson and a couple picks for former 6th overall pick 19 year old Tyson Zimmer in a 3rd trade with the Giants

Tschigerl and Sydor should be pretty sizeable upgrades for the forward group over Swetlikoff and Zimmer.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 01-08-2024 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:41 PM   #12
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is puzzling to say the least, well moreso puzzling that they would go this route rather than why they did.

Hard to not think this is in large part because of the Bill Peters hire. He will want to use this as a chance to show he has changed and can be hired back in the NHL. Unlikely that happens if the team misses the play-offs for the few years he is here.

This is a team built to go out in 4 or 5 games in the First round with no young talent that just traded away multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks. I know those aren't a surefire thing in any league especially the WHL, but still makes no sense when you are a bottom half of the league team to give those pieces up.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:48 PM   #13
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
It is puzzling to say the least, well moreso puzzling that they would go this route rather than why they did.

Hard to not think this is in large part because of the Bill Peters hire. He will want to use this as a chance to show he has changed and can be hired back in the NHL. Unlikely that happens if the team misses the play-offs for the few years he is here.

This is a team built to go out in 4 or 5 games in the First round with no young talent that just traded away multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks. I know those aren't a surefire thing in any league especially the WHL, but still makes no sense when you are a bottom half of the league team to give those pieces up.
Yeah it's pretty much Anholt's MO. He never tears it down really but also never builds a powerhouse team either. Steadily in the middle. They are trending to make the playoffs for the 7th straight season, and it would be 8 straight if they hadn't canceled the 2019/20 season near the end.

Of course, they've lost in the 1st round three straight seasons now after going to the Conference finals twice in a row.

At least he's kept the 1st round picks so far. And with Meneghin in net they do have a punchers chance I guess, if they make it.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:34 PM   #14
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Portland have struck a major deal in the closing minutes before the WHL deadline with Brandon for Nate Danielson.

Old 01-10-2024, 02:41 PM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Portland have struck a major deal in the closing minutes before the WHL deadline with Brandon for Nate Danielson.
Nice.

Should get a nice long playoff run with Portland before turning pro next season, and Brandon gets some futures for a 19 year old that won't be back next season and they have quite a few 19 year olds to deal with before next season.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:45 PM   #16
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tigers finally ended their 3 way goalie tandem by dealing 19 year old Evan May to Moose Jaw for a 2027 3rd.

The Tigers keep 18 yo Zahara and 17 yo McCallum which is the smart move IMO
Moose Jaw gets a solid backup that they need as after Unger their goaltending has been pretty weak
Old 01-10-2024, 03:19 PM   #17
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anholt loooooves trades haha

He's traded a 3rd in '27 to PA for 19yo forward Hayden Pakkala and a 7th in '24 to Seattle for 19yo dman Braeden Wynne.

Loading up on experienced depth after strengthening the top 6 earlier in the week.

They now have seven 19 year olds to deal with before next season, but that's OK because Anholt likes trades
Old 01-10-2024, 07:25 PM   #18
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is pretty crazy the amount of moves especially for a team that is in 7th and deserves to be in 7th not really a dark horse team. Nothing of top value given up but all those 2nds and 3rds will make it tough to fill the needed roster gaps the team will face.

After all the moves the team is definitely deeper and better but still not sure it guarantees them anything more than a close first round exit.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:35 PM   #19
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
It is pretty crazy the amount of moves especially for a team that is in 7th and deserves to be in 7th not really a dark horse team. Nothing of top value given up but all those 2nds and 3rds will make it tough to fill the needed roster gaps the team will face.

After all the moves the team is definitely deeper and better but still not sure it guarantees them anything more than a close first round exit.
Going to be interesting following them in the 2nd half to see if these trades push them to be a top 4 team in the east or not.

Probably not, as the blades are a juggernaut, the tigers are young but loaded with talent and the warriors and Broncos also added big pieces. Brandon sold though and Red deer isn't particularly scary so they might take a run at passing those teams.

Meneghin is an x factor though, he could steal a playoff series if he's on. Kind of like skinner against the tigers back in 2017 I think when they upset med hat in game 7 OT, Wong with the winner.

I like that anholt was able to get a 2nd and 3rd for Zimmer along with langkow and a prospect. He should be able to snag a few more picks in the off season when he's trying to move some of these 19 year olds he's collected.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:49 PM   #20
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

All things considered I think Saskatoon came out the strongest/most improved at the deadline. MJ finally bolstered in goal but it's not a huge improvement, really would have liked a stay at home d man to reduce the shots. the last two games I saw Unger faced 50+ shots and there's no way your getting out of round 1 like that.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote