Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #101
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I like De Rosario - he's a legendary Canadian who has always answered the call for his country. Not to mention being a good mentor for the younger players.

But I do understand why they elected to look past De Ro this time - he'll likely be retired from soccer by the time the next World Cup comes around, and at the very least, certainly past his prime. If the ultimate goal is qualifying for a World Cup that he likely won't even be in, the CSA probably wants to give as much time and attention to the next wave of Canadian players.

That being said, having him play the role of a super sub/mentor wouldn't have been a bad thing either. De Ro or DC being OK with having him leaving the league for that type of role is unlikely, however. He's in a funny situation where he's still playing well enough currently, but the CSA is looking a few years down the road.
The only problem being that he wouldn't take that role. He's not the type of player I would want mentoring any of the young guys.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #102
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reports indicate that Canada will name Benito Floro of Spain the next head coach. Floro has coached La Liga teams Villarreal, real Madrid, Mallorca as well as Mexican team Monterey

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/floro...-soccer-coach/

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #103
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada kicks off their quest for the Gold Cup tomorrow at 3:30pm (MT) vs. Martinique.

Somewhat disappointing, however, is that Sportsnet has elected to show all of the Gold Cup matches, including Canada's, ONLY on Sportsnet World. So anyone wanting to watch these matches will need to pony up for either the cable or online version of this channel.

I'll obviously eat the $17 for a month of the cable channel because I'd like to see some of the non-Canada matches as well (I usually spend $25/month for the online version during the Premier League season, but try and save a few bucks over the summer). It is disappointing, however, that casual fans won't be able to watch at least the Canada matches on either Sportsnet or Sportsnet One as part of their regular cable package. In general, Sportsnet has been good to both the men and the women of Canadian soccer, but it would have been nice to have Canada's participation in the continent's championship broadcast to a wider audience.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #104
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm as big a fan of the Cmnt as you'll find and I won't be getting sportsnet world. 17 bucks is highway robbery for that product.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #105
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't disagree with you. I can justify the $25/month during the Premier League season because my folks come around each week with breakfast and it is a bit of a family event. That's my contribution - the matches. But to pay that (or the $17 for the cable version) for a handful of Canada matches that should be shown on regular Sportsnet anyway is a bit steep.

The CSA can't be thrilled about this either. Seems like an odd time for Sportsnet to do this - is is hardly the type of tournament that will result in a windfall of subscriptions. They're essentially hiding the event from the casual fans and likely don't get much financial benefit.

That being said, the games will likely be "available" in one form or another "elsewhere".
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #106
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Reports indicate that Canada will name Benito Floro of Spain the next head coach. Floro has coached La Liga teams Villarreal, real Madrid, Mallorca as well as Mexican team Monterey

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/floro...-soccer-coach/
I caught this at the end of the TSN article.

The Canadian Soccer Association had set a Hispanic coach as a target, according to one source. After the 8-1 loss in Honduras that sealed Canada's World Cup qualifying fate, association president Victor Montagliani said something had to be done to better prepare Canada for playing in the hostile confines of Central America.

Now I don't doubt that playing in Central America is always a challenge...but specifically targeting a Hispanic coach for that purpose, who's never coached in Central America doesn't necessary solve this....and the 8-1 loss, however devastating, is more an anomaly of a high pressure game on the field then it is lack of preparation for hostile environments.

Sounds like more reactionary CSA moves, and the fact that they want some exotic coach just screams the CSA and their fly by the seat of their pants "planning".

Though to that point, if the CSA wasn't so cheap and wouldn't put players up in 2nd rate hotels as it sounds they did for that trip (based on the interruptions outside the night before), maybe that would have the team better prepared as well, just as much as the coach.

In any event, the last coach like this for the team was Osieck, who, with limited CSA support and then got bad mouthed by the CSA, went on after that and won the Gold Cup and had moderate success, so best of luck to this guy. The CSA pumping up coaching Real 20+ years ago, which they are pumping up, is nice and looks good on the resume, but again, relevance is up in the air.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #107
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benito Floro cannot take over the reigns soon enough. Just a terrible first half by Canada, getting dominated by a non-FIFA nation. There is no buildup play, they just hoof the ball up field and hope a striker gets on the end of it.

The World Cup is a long long ways away, and it looks farther away than it did in October, if you can believe it.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #108
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada loses to Martinique 1-0 on a 93rd minute goal and were absolutely outclassed for the entire game.

Remember how this place felt after the 9-0 loss to Boston last year? Where it felt so utterly hopeless? Same type of feeling going around the Voyageurs board.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #109
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Canada loses to Martinique. After the Panama games last autumn, I can't say I really care. Canada will never be good at soccer, even relative to CONCACAF.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #110
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Is this a joke?
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #111
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Benito Floro cannot take over the reigns soon enough. Just a terrible first half by Canada, getting dominated by a non-FIFA nation. There is no buildup play, they just hoof the ball up field and hope a striker gets on the end of it.

The World Cup is a long long ways away, and it looks farther away than it did in October, if you can believe it.
I can believe it...the vets like DeRosario and McKenna carried this team as far as they can through WCQ. A couple of draws that should've been wins, and then one horrible, misttimed result, and its over.

The CSA has decided to leave the vets out now, and have this play out this way, with all but an Olympic Qualifying team and an interim coach.

They're going to need a leader out of the current pack of players, or find one from somewhere else, that will be around for the next 3 years, or the CSA could hire the last 20 managers of Real Madrid all at once and not get much better on field results. Team is rudderless to say the least, and losing today is an embarrassment. Remember when Panama seemed like a speed bump along the way a few months ago? They're likely to take Canada to the woodshed now...and then the game against Mexico? Forget about it.

Last edited by browna; 07-07-2013 at 06:20 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #112
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Oh and Mexico loses to Panama. So Martinique and Panama are top of the group right now. Even with the Confederation Cup qualification change (winners of both Gold Cups before the next World Cup will face off to see who plays in the next Confed Cup), this is just a low value tournament.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #113
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On the bright side, they make me feel better about the Flames....
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #114
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losing to Martinique? Ouch... the low get lower.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #115
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Holy crap. Losing to Martinique has to be an all-time low for the CSA. Canada should have destroyed them.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #116
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Martinique. Population = 403,795

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #117
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Martinique. Population = 403,795
Canadian Soccer Association Budget: $403,795
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #118
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Holy crap. Losing to Martinique has to be an all-time low for the CSA. Canada should have destroyed them.
This is an embarassing loss for sure, but I would argue that losing 8-1 to Honduras when we could have reached the hex with a tie is much more demeaning.

The reality is we have players that were playing last night that should be nowhere near the first team. Samuel Piette is 18 years old and should not be a starter. Tosaint Ricketts has pace, but nothing else. Julian De Guzman is but a shadow of himself.

As the game went on, the only silver lining would have been capping Keven Aleman, who also should be nowhere near the first team, but could bolt for Costa Rica. But Miller couldn't even do that right....

Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #119
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada loses 2-0 to Mexico last night. Mexico's 2nd goal was a penalty kick given after a dive in the penalty area. I did not watch the game but by all accounts, the team played much better against Mexico.

Also of note, the team capped Keven Aleman, an attacking midfielder who is currently on Real Valladolid's B side, and was absolutely dominant at the U-17 level for Canada. Aleman had interest from Costa Rica as well so there was some worry that he would jump ship.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #120
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I was Stampede'n last night so I missed the game, but I did catch the highlights.

Shameful call on the penalty, but everything I have read indicated that it was a much better effort by Canada.

So, if Canada beats Panama by +3 and Mexico beats Martinique by any margin, Canada has a 2/3 chance of making the next round. Is that correct? Does it matter?