Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #41
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just Edmonton and Calgary or also in other cities?

Will municipalities have to change bylaws for this?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #42
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Where is the correct place to ride these things? It would seem the sidewalk makes more sense, until you have dozens of them zipping through pedestrian traffic.
The road seems like suicide (or possibly murder if I have to putter along behind these things regularly). But seriously, they're not the same as bikes. Bikes can kind of keep up with traffic and they typically follow a predictable line.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #43
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was in San Diego for Comic Con and they were tossed everywhere blocking the sidewalks and strewn in front of various patios in the gas lamp quarter. Restaurants playing games having servers carrying them away across the street to dump them like hot potatoes at other patios while the scooter alarms were going off constantly.

Was on a full shuttle to the convention center and we watched a guy weaving in and out of traffic eat the trunk of car that he was following. Went down in a heap and looked like he lost a tooth or two.

Never saw a single person with a helmet through the week.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:40 AM   #44
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have them all over the place in Indiana and they are an utter disaster.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #45
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main thing that doesn't make sense to me about them is how much they cost. They're speed limited to 20k, and they cost .30/minute. A car2go - the Smart Fourtwo ones, at least - are .32/minute. For a car.

The only context in which you would ever use a scooter at that price is if you're just going a few blocks within downtown. and don't want to have to hassle with getting into a car, driving for 5 minutes and parking.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #46
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The main thing that doesn't make sense to me about them is how much they cost. They're speed limited to 20k, and they cost .30/minute. A car2go - the Smart Fourtwo ones, at least - are .32/minute. For a car.

The only context in which you would ever use a scooter at that price is if you're just going a few blocks within downtown. and don't want to have to hassle with getting into a car, driving for 5 minutes and parking.
Yah for sure. Or if you're drunk.

I think in the USA they are $0.15/min. But there is a lot more competition. I wonder if when Bird launches the price will come down.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #47
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not totally true. Lets say you are at Princes Island, and want to go to Fort Calgary, or The Zoo. You'd be quicker to grab a scooter that is right there. Even up the bluff would be quicker on a scooter, I would think.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess. That's a pretty specific situation where you're starting far away from where any cars could park, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well ya, but that's the niche they fit in, at least in my mind. When you want to move quickly over short distances where transit and vehicles don't make sense. I'm not trying to justify there is a huge need for them, but those are the use cases I can understand.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #50
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right, but in that case they shouldn't even be allowed north of, say, Bridgeland, or south of 25th ave, or west of Sunalta, or east of Inglewood. Just make that the "zone" where they can be used. Yet, I see them in the deep south or out by my house. What are people doing, using them as a substitute for a bike commute?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they are being used to get there from downtown, or if Lime is dropping them there, hoping people get used to seeing them and using them for a short trip.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, but in that case they shouldn't even be allowed north of, say, Bridgeland, or south of 25th ave, or west of Sunalta, or east of Inglewood. Just make that the "zone" where they can be used. Yet, I see them in the deep south or out by my house. What are people doing, using them as a substitute for a bike commute?
I'd much rather have them in a larger part of the city than just downtown.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #53
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did just find a use for them in my area... riding them TO a car2go, and then driving the car2go to work.

Also, having now used one for a couple KM in a fairly non-busy area and mostly on sidewalks, and seeing how awkward even that was, I can definitely see how people could get injured on these suckers if they were in a busier area and had to react quickly. Maybe not life or death (unless you get hit by a car) but definitely the potential for a lot of sprained ankles and wrists, and maybe a ligament tear or two.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #54
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did just find a use for them in my area... riding them TO a car2go, and then driving the car2go to work.

Also, having now used one for a couple KM in a fairly non-busy area and mostly on sidewalks, and seeing how awkward even that was, I can definitely see how people could get injured on these suckers if they were in a busier area and had to react quickly. Maybe not life or death (unless you get hit by a car) but definitely the potential for a lot of sprained ankles and wrists, and maybe a ligament tear or two.
Strugglers gonna struggle.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #55
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It takes a special kind of ignorant ####### to leave one of these things at the at the curb ramp to a sidewalk. Things like this are cool until every stupid prick does something inconsiderate like this.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #56
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
It takes a special kind of ignorant ####### to leave one of these things at the at the curb ramp to a sidewalk. Things like this are cool until every stupid prick does something inconsiderate like this.
Have you seen or ever dealt with the general population?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #57
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are dozens of people using them every day on the Bow river pathways, mostly for fun not to get somewhere.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #58
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're fun, and honestly they're for tourists. Almost every major US city I've been to this year has them, and an electric scooter is a great way to explore an urban center that you're unfamiliar with.

I don't think they're meant to be anyone's primary mode of transport. They're a convenience.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #59
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone rode tandem on them yet? I tried it with the kids on them in Mexico City and it wasn't that bad with them in front holding on (one kid at a time). Saw lots doing it there and in Paris just a couple of weeks back. I've seen a few people riding double on them here, but usually both adults and not with a kid.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #60
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Anyone rode tandem on them yet? I tried it with the kids on them in Mexico City and it wasn't that bad with them in front holding on (one kid at a time). Saw lots doing it there and in Paris just a couple of weeks back. I've seen a few people riding double on them here, but usually both adults and not with a kid.
Wow, crazy. I own one and have two kids that would love to go with me on it and I never even thought of this. Will have to try tonight.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote