Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #1621
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post
This has been a good info thread and there seems to be knowledgeable people here so maybe someone has a solution for me. I've contacted Pioneer support and hit a dead end there

I have a Pioneer home theatre in a box (HTP-074 with the VSX-325 receiver). It's from 2016. I've noticed lately that dialogue seems to echo in the rear channels no matter what content (Roku, Blu-Ray, cable box) or sound mode (pure direct, ALC/Standard etc) I have it on.

The weird part is that it seems to not be consistent. As far as I've read dialogue almost always comes from the centre channel but it almost seems like the echo happens when the dialogue is on the front L/R channels (as note I have the Roku and cable output through ARC and the receiver is plugged into HDMI ARC. But when I tried a Blu-Ray player plugged directly into the receiver (Blade Runner 2049 if that helps), the dialogue seems to echo consistently in the rears and I'm thinking this is not intentionally part of the content nor did I have this issue on my upstairs soundbar.

I should mention I did open the unit up to fix the connection for the sub since it was not working so did I maybe screw something up in there? The connections all seem fine though.

Sorry for the long/rambling post but it's been bugging me and want to see if it's something I can maybe fix or if the unit is faulty.
I had a Vizio 5.1 soundbar that did this inconsistent echo thing out of the box. To resolve it, I reset the sound bar settings to default.

Reset your Pioneer receiver settings to default and see if there's a difference.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #1622
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the reply. I actually did do a full factory reset of it and still having the issue. I'm almost convinced I must have done something when I played around with the sub connection. Or maybe this has been happening all along and I never noticed. I suppose if it really bugs me that much I can lower the rear channel volume.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #1623
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I actually did do a full factory reset of it and still having the issue. I'm almost convinced I must have done something when I played around with the sub connection. Or maybe this has been happening all along and I never noticed. I suppose if it really bugs me that much I can lower the rear channel volume.
I'm no expert, I can only suggest some baseline things.

Did you manually reset all the sound settings as well? I seem to recall that factory settings didn't work for me for the Vizio sound bar. I had to manually reset the sound settings to get rid of the echo. It was as if there was a special sound setting or effect built into factory default that was incorrect or something. No idea if the same will happen with your Pioneer receiver.

The other possibility that I'm wondering is if there's some bizarre situation where you have dual sound output from the same input. Like somehow sound is being played from the output via HDMI and optical near but not fully simultaneously or something like that. If you change the input to the receiver (different HDMI, optical, whatever), does the issue persist?
Old 01-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #1624
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm no expert, I can only suggest some baseline things.

Did you manually reset all the sound settings as well? I seem to recall that factory settings didn't work for me for the Vizio sound bar. I had to manually reset the sound settings to get rid of the echo. It was as if there was a special sound setting or effect built into factory default that was incorrect or something. No idea if the same will happen with your Pioneer receiver.

The other possibility that I'm wondering is if there's some bizarre situation where you have dual sound output from the same input. Like somehow sound is being played from the output via HDMI and optical near but not fully simultaneously or something like that. If you change the input to the receiver (different HDMI, optical, whatever), does the issue persist?
The sound settings I'm not too sure how to do that on the receiver. The menu itself is extremely basic and doesn't really let you do much beyond some basic configurations.

Thanks for the suggestion on maybe changing the HDMI input and seeing if that works. Something I've read was the speakers maybe being out of phase and I see a "phase" button on the remote but it doesn't seem to let me do much.

Edit to add I tried the different HDMI port and no go. The manual didn't really add much either. Guess I will suck it up but appreciate the help.

Last edited by ajr4013; 01-05-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added details
Old 01-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #1625
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try unplugging every speaker except the rears, and see if you hear it. If you don't I'd take a guess that the problem is in one of your speakers or wires causing some bleed. Narrow it down by plugging one in at a time. If you isolate it, see if it is the port, or the speaker/wire by swapping them to a different port. If it is one speaker port doing it, you then know it is something inside the receiver, perhaps when you "fixed" it. If none of this isolates it, it's possibly a config issue, or something deeper wrong.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #1626
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a TV connected through ethernet HDMI/CAT6 extender from a receiver. The receiver is in a room away from the TV. Hence the need for a HDMI extender. It is about a 75ft distance.

I keep my components with my receiver. Seemed to work well for a while, but lately I get no signal randomly to my TV when playing PS4.

So my thought was to move the components (PS4, Apple TV) behind the TV, and run the audio via ARC back to the receiver using the ethernet extender (HDBaseT). It doesn't work, as it appears not to function with audio only.

TL;DR does anyone know of a HDMI Arc to ethernet extender out there?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #1627
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I have a TV connected through ethernet HDMI/CAT6 extender from a receiver. The receiver is in a room away from the TV. Hence the need for a HDMI extender. It is about a 75ft distance.

I keep my components with my receiver. Seemed to work well for a while, but lately I get no signal randomly to my TV when playing PS4.

So my thought was to move the components (PS4, Apple TV) behind the TV, and run the audio via ARC back to the receiver using the ethernet extender (HDBaseT). It doesn't work, as it appears not to function with audio only.

https://www.amazon.ca/AV-Access-Exte...9953508&sr=8-7

Something like this? I don't use one, I just searched up HDMI ARC extender.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #1628
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So I might just be a dummy and never noticed that this was happening but I tried Blade Runner 2049 and a show on Crave on my upstairs soundbar (a Vizio Atmos 5.1.2) and the same "echo" was happening so maybe it's not an echo and is intentional? As a note it's not even really noticeable for the most part unless my ear is right up to the rear speaker so not sure why it bothered me so much lately. I guess I always assumed unless it was an intentional use of the rear that dialogue would not parrot the front channels.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #1629
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know nearly nothing when it comes to home theatre setups.

I would like a soundbar that I would connect using eARC to my new TV. I'm not too fussed on sound quality, but would just like something louder than what my TV puts out. Also, I don't want to deal with another remote and having to turn on/off the soundbar along with the volume. Basically, I'd like to turn on the TV and not have to worry about fiddling with the soundbar.

What soundbar(s) would you suggest that can do all of this at a decent price? Can they all pretty much do this? Subwoofer not required.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #1630
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I know nearly nothing when it comes to home theatre setups.

I would like a soundbar that I would connect using eARC to my new TV. I'm not too fussed on sound quality, but would just like something louder than what my TV puts out. Also, I don't want to deal with another remote and having to turn on/off the soundbar along with the volume. Basically, I'd like to turn on the TV and not have to worry about fiddling with the soundbar.

What soundbar(s) would you suggest that can do all of this at a decent price? Can they all pretty much do this? Subwoofer not required.
I feel like based on what I understand of your requirements, what universal remote you use will be more important than the actual sound bar.

For instance, if you have a newer TCL smart TV and a newer Vizio sound bar, you could install apps into your phone and control them from your phone if you don't want a ton of remotes to deal with. Others might opt instead to get a Logitech Harmony remote and program it.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #1631
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/AV-Access-Exte...9953508&sr=8-7

Something like this? I don't use one, I just searched up HDMI ARC extender.
That one didn't seem to support either, it is similar to the one I have, but I clicked through a bunch and found one that may work TY.

All honesty I may just get a HDMI cable and find a way to hide it, way cheaper!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #1632
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in need of some ideas from people who are a bit more adept at this stuff.

So I have a motorized screen for a 120" image, overtop of a built in where I have a regular TV. I'd like to be able to switch both the inputs and the outputs. For example, the boys may want to play some terrible game on the TV, then later I'll want to play a good game or watch hockey on the projector when they're in bed. What's the best way to do that? Switch? Reciever? So far I have a harmony hub to coordinate everything, but as for the actual technical stuff I'm a bit lost.

I'm also a bit leary about switches as I had one before, and due to the longer HDMI necessary for the projector there was lots of signal loss issues.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #1633
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like you need a matrix type splitter/switch with multiple ins and outs. Tough to know without knowing what equipment you already have. I run a cheap HDMI switch to my projector over 25 feet of cable, and don' have any issues with it. Maybe get it from somewhere with easy returns if it doesn't work.

If you are running it all through a receiver that doesn't have 2 HDMI outs, you could maybe output to component instead for the tv.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #1634
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sounds like you need a matrix type splitter/switch with multiple ins and outs. Tough to know without knowing what equipment you already have. I run a cheap HDMI switch to my projector over 25 feet of cable, and don' have any issues with it. Maybe get it from somewhere with easy returns if it doesn't work.

If you are running it all through a receiver that doesn't have 2 HDMI outs, you could maybe output to component instead for the tv.
Here's what I currently have (just set up the projector)

Inputs:
-PS4
-Cable Box
-Chromecast

Sound:
-Cheap ass sound bar and Sub

Outputs:
-TV
-Projector

Other:
-3x1 Switch with IR remote
-Harmony Hub with extension
-Motorized projector screen suitable for a 120" screen

We just moved in and so nothing is really permanent yet, and I'll take some pictures if anyone has ideas I'm all ears. The nice thing is the built ins are accessible from behind as well, so everything can be fed in behind the unit easily. I need to get an outlet and conduit put in the roof where I'll hang the projector though.

So far I have not spent a ton of money on any of the items listed, but I thought I'd improve slowly. I will probably get a better projector at some point, but if a receiver makes sense then so be it. I wonder if a decent powered splitter may be of use?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #1635
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd strongly recommend a receiver that fits your needs, if you can swing it. If you are going to have a theatre, you need real sound, and then you can route everything through it without half measures. I've had luck finding used stuff if you want to save money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #1636
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The house we bought had a TV mount in the basement with ethernet wired to it, which ran to a receiver setup in the utility room. They left an HDMI-Cat6 conversion kit behind, and I want to use it to pass audio from the TV back to the receiver. Any idea if this will work? I don't need full ARC functionality (like controlling the receiver through the tv), I just want the audio to pass from the HDMI ARC port through the kit

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 01-15-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #1637
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So what's the best way to play a 4K HDR video from my PC to my TV? The TV is running Android TV.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #1638
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So what's the best way to play a 4K HDR video from my PC to my TV? The TV is running Android TV.
Plex or VLC.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #1639
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

I had this issue, I could not find a really good solution to the long HDMI scenario and 4K. Because I had once chance to go through the walls I ended up just building an enclosure in the wall right beside the tv for all my components. It’s all now housed in a shelving unit that slides into the wall.

I ended up with a 10 foot run from the receiver to the tv and 3 to 5 feet for each input to the Receiver.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 01-20-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #1640
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking about an ultra short throw projector (1080P) to do basic media in my family room on an 80" screen. It would basically just be used for casual gaming, streaming, presentations etc. By casual, I'd be estimating 2-3 hours a day on average.

Are there any special things I should keep in mind with a UST projector and/or additional things I should consider installing alongside it?

I am hoping for a bit more comfort before basically having to drop $1500 ish on one. I'm basically going with this set up because the screen will be in front of a fireplace with a shallow mantle and regular/short throw would have the projector in the middle of my ceiling. I also use the fireplace regularly so there are some concerns with heat if I were to mount a regular TV.