Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #41
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I came from Usenet. (alt.sports.hockey.NHL.calgaryflames -- or something like that).

I was a longtime user there and was hesitant to join the forums such as CalgaryPuck (FOI). I knew of them, and I lurked them from time to time. Usenet was dying so I decided to look for greener pastures. Around that same time somebody started posting on Usenet that we're all dumb losers for posting on such an old method and only smart people post on CalgaryPuck. If we were smart we would have left a long time ago. etc. etc. I wanted no part of that so I hung around on Usenet a while longer.

I did have a previous account here, I don't recall the username. My join date with this account is April 2004. I don't think I posted here very much at first, but I became fairly active during the off season and the subsequent locked out season. I had a crappy job that wasn't very busy so I spent more time on CP than doing work, and I wasn't exactly being counter productive.

I was pretty much all about hockey talk, but the lockout saw me quickly branch out into the Off-Topic forum. Once hockey returned I was once again mostly all about hockey talk. Throughout the years my activity has waned and I enjoy more off topic discussions, mostly in the Food & Entertainment section. I don't post as often as I used to either.

My own personal claim to fame was making Reggie Dunlop's CP roster. I was 1st or 2nd line RW at first! Made me feel like I was a noticed part of the community here. Then a bunch of people started whining about not making the team, and before you know it I was off the roster!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #42
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I came from Usenet. (alt.sports.hockey.NHL.calgaryflames -- or something like that).

I was a longtime user there and was hesitant to join the forums such as CalgaryPuck (FOI). I knew of them, and I lurked them from time to time. Usenet was dying so I decided to look for greener pastures. Around that same time somebody started posting on Usenet that we're all dumb losers for posting on such an old method and only smart people post on CalgaryPuck. If we were smart we would have left a long time ago. etc. etc. I wanted no part of that so I hung around on Usenet a while longer.

I did have a previous account here, I don't recall the username. My join date with this account is April 2004. I don't think I posted here very much at first, but I became fairly active during the off season and the subsequent locked out season. I had a crappy job that wasn't very busy so I spent more time on CP than doing work, and I wasn't exactly being counter productive.

I was pretty much all about hockey talk, but the lockout saw me quickly branch out into the Off-Topic forum. Once hockey returned I was once again mostly all about hockey talk. Throughout the years my activity has waned and I enjoy more off topic discussions, mostly in the Food & Entertainment section. I don't post as often as I used to either.

My own personal claim to fame was making Reggie Dunlop's CP roster. I was 1st or 2nd line RW at first! Made me feel like I was a noticed part of the community here. Then a bunch of people started whining about not making the team, and before you know it I was off the roster!

I think thats where I came from as well Buff, Usenet. It was Fire on Ice before CP though Im pretty sure.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #43
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I joined just after the 04 run, when every other car in Calgary had a Flames flag or two hanging out the back window. It took me a while before I got enough courage to post anything, as I had never posted anything on the internet before CP. It was quite a learning curve for me.

I'm probably the oldest member here (in my 80s), and have found great value in both the hockey and off topic forums. Although I miss some of the old members, who have moved on, like Cowperson, Fotze, etc. there are still a great number of excellent posters that I look forward to see what they have to say.

My son used to say, "Dad what are you doing hanging around with all those kids?". However, I have learned that those kids (anybody under 65) are a lot smarter than me, and have given me much to understand and appreciate how the various age groups perceive the world.

Anyway, thanks for memories.

Last edited by flamesfever; 01-25-2021 at 11:41 AM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #44
Morozee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

That's how I found this forum also. Mostly I just read, don't post much. 50/50 Fire on Ice and Off Topic.

Morozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #45
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was a lurker in ‘09 as a 14 year old, but finally got the nerve to make my own account at 17. And excluding a 2 year church mission, I’ve been on this site every day. FOI is probably 60% of my time on CP, but it used to be a lot more. I love talking about trades, talking about trades in the speculation and rumors thread, etc. But, I’ve ventured out in this part of the forum over the last year or so, so the FOI time has decreased quite a bit. I like talking about the Jays and NFL football in the other sports section too. There are some spots where I might not be able to give as much input if it involves locations/things done in Canada, but I still enjoy giving my insight when I can, even as a very young individual.

I still remember my first post, it was after a game that we lost to against Dallas, and I think I was mad about Ribeiro having our number all of these years.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #46
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm looks like I started posting in the trade threads and have been here since.

Honestly, one of the best place to talk about what is going in Calgary and always interesting to talk about American politics.

Tend to stick to FOI and off topic

Last edited by Bonded; 02-06-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #47
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I joined in 2001. I don't post a lot, but I enjoy reading the opinions of others. Also, it's a great place to catch up on what is happening. I quit watching and following hockey a few years back and I don't regret it at all, however, I do like the off the topic threads.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #48
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm only here to see what all the 1%ers think.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I joined in 2001. I don't post a lot, but I enjoy reading the opinions of others. Also, it's a great place to catch up on what is happening. I quit watching and following hockey a few years back and I don't regret it at all, however, I do like the off the topic threads.
Yeah, your posting kind of fell off a cliff there after the Mods removed the 'Etch into Granite' feature.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #50
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, your posting kind of fell off a cliff there after the Mods removed the 'Etch into Granite' feature.

I post here sporadically at best. I'd rather just read everyone's opinion than argue with anyone on the internet. There are plenty of posters on these boards who love an argument....I'd rather just sit back and enjoy the show
Old 02-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #51
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I post here sporadically at best. I'd rather just read everyone's opinion than argue with anyone on the internet. There are plenty of posters on these boards who love an argument....I'd rather just sit back and enjoy the show
Oh come on! You set that one up!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-06-2021, 04:07 PM   #52
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I joined in 2004 during the run. Such fun times.

I had just been back from a work stint in New York City, hence the user name.

My dream SCF has always been Flames v Rangers with Sam Rosen doing the call. I would picture myself wearing my Flames jersey during the final around midtown Manhattan being jeered by New Yorkers.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #53
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh come on! You set that one up!
ok you're on to me Except for the "etched in granite" feature comment
Old 02-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ok you're on to me Except for the "etched in granite" feature comment
I apologize for my flagrant ageism.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #55
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Joined around the "save the Flames campaign" time. The site was called Fire On Ice back then.

CP is a great catch all site for all major world events. And there is some hockey talk too.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #56
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I apologize for my flagrant ageism.
I'm not old - I've just been young for a long time
Old 02-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #57
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I first joined here, I had already been on a couple CFL team forums, so I was used to the OT areas being a gold mine, I feel that's always where I've spent most of my time here.

I'm on the FOI a fair bit too, but it can be a little intimidating these days, so I tend to just lurk, or mostly make generalistic, jokey comments to keep it light when I do partake over there. Looking at my posting history, it seems to almost exclusively be in the Other Sports, NFL thread section the past few months, apparently that's my thing now?

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-06-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #58
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure when I joined. Canehdianman was banned for making a slightly off-colour joke I think? meh, been a while.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote