Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 10:47 PM   #1861
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers will have the worst goal tending by far in an all canadian div
Old 10-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #1862
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm confused with the Markstrom and the Oilers chatter.

Don't they already have a starter? I mean, why would they go out of their way to give Koskinen a massive extension mid season? I recall Bobby Nicks saying after he fired Chiarelli (mid-game) that "Mikko is our guy" and it was a group decision to extend him.
No no no no... that was then. This is now, that was a parting gift from Chiarelli.

Stay with the current propagandist motif.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #1863
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I'm confused with the Markstrom and the Oilers chatter.

Don't they already have a starter? I mean, why would they go out of their way to give Koskinen a massive extension mid season? I recall Bobby Nicks saying after he fired Chiarelli (mid-game) that "Mikko is our guy" and it was a group decision to extend him.
According to Oilers fans, Koskinen is just as good as Markström. It was a confusing pitch made by Holland, to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 10-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #1864
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol, Koskinen is just as good as Markström. They must have plugged in the metrics into the same stat engine that said Conklin was better than Brodeur. Sounds like they have yet to upgrade their analytics.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #1865
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
lol, Koskinen is just as good as Markström. They must have plugged in the metrics into the same stat engine that said Conklin was better than Brodeur. Sounds like they have yet to upgrade their analytics.
Have you seen how many high draft picks they've won?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #1866
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there is one thing that they were inspired by Lowe with, is the desire to win. They just found their niche with draft picks.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #1867
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Have you seen how many high draft picks they've won?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I don't know, they haven't selected first overall since 2015, I think their "winning" formula is broken.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #1868
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If we look at the Oilers and a Canadian division

Goaltending - Worst in Canada
Blueline - not the worst, but its bad, but Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver have bleah bluelies
Top 6 - Its a good top 6, but it falls apart a bit if Yamamoto cools off a bit like he did in the playoffs. Drai and McDavid are all world but don't give a crap about the defensive side of the game.
Bottom 6 - Just looks bad and defensively inept, trail almost all of the other bottom 6's in Canada.

Final prognosis - No playoffs for you . . . again.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 10-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #1869
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They gave Koskinen $4.5M, and thereby it shall be so that Koskinen is as good as other goalies paid $4.5M and up 'cause Edmunnten. How thou shall be paid determines how good you are, not the other way around.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #1870
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're McDavid right now, you can't be happy.
You have to think he's expecting his management to do more before the season starts, but they won't/can't.

How much longer can he go before demanding a trade?
Maybe this season will be the last.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #1871
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
You have to think he's expecting his management to do more before the season starts, but they won't/can't.

I am pretty sure this was McDavid's reaction when the team re-signed Mike Smith:

Old 10-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #1872
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there were some rumblings that McDavid would give Holland a couple years. The way I see it playing out is after the expansion draft the Oilers will have a bunch of cap space. Holland will overpay in the free agent market and to try and satisfy McDavid. To be honest, I haven't looked at the UFA crop to see if there is even the talent to make it happen.

If they are not a competitive team after that, then he will leave. They are in no position to wait 3 years to see if any of their kids pan out and quite frankly who do they really have that will move the meter. They probably are better off using an offer sheet to grab a player, and suck up losing a couple firsts, 2nd, and 3rd.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #1873
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you go by stats alone then Talbot to Markstrom is technically a downgrade. But then you factor in the context of their situations and that one played significantly more hockey while the other was receiving the easy matchups in the first half.

Do I think Koskinen is a decent goalie? To put up .917 behind the Oilers you'd have to be. And I have little doubt that he would be even better elsewhere. But he's not proven with a starter's workload and like Talbot he was still utilized as a 1A/B, and most importantly, he looked very beatable at the most important time.

There's absolutely a gap between the two as much as the Oil folk are obviously going to take the homer stance, but at the end of the day Markstrom has shown to be able to elevate in the POs which gives him a rather large edge until koskinen proves that he can do the same. But I think a lot of them folding is more on the team than their net minders.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-15-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #1874
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't think of a better place to watch Mike Smith's "Out of Crease Adventures: Part 14".

And what does Kostinem think of the fact that he was almost relegated to backup? The dressing room dynamics are Oil Change documentary worthy.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #1875
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

Nope. His end of season media was focused on needing the team to get better defensively and the offseason so far is:

Turris: Horrible Defensively
Barrie: Not Good Defensively
Smith: Bad Goalie

They insist on playing their own okay defensive forward (RNH) as a winger in their top 6, and the bottom 6 provides no defensive protection for their top 6.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:08 AM   #1876
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hall taking a 1 year "bet on myself" deal with Buffalo is so awesome. So many Coiler fans were absolutely convinced he was going to sign there.

If someone told me:
"Hall signed with a playmaker who he is going to pound pucks in the net with." Mcavi would have been very believable...

The fact its referring to the player selected 1 pick after Mcavi makes me happy in the same way driving by myself for the first time after getting my drivers license when i was 16 did.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #1877
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
Hall taking a 1 year "bet on myself" deal with Buffalo is so awesome. So many Coiler fans were absolutely convinced he was going to sign there.

If someone told me:
"Hall signed with a playmaker who he is going to pound pucks in the net with." Mcavi would have been very believable...

The fact its referring to the player selected 1 pick after Mcavi makes me happy in the same way driving by myself for the first time after getting my drivers license when i was 16 did.
Hall’s agent was on Vancouver radio yesterday and he mentioned that there were a couple of teams offering Hall the $8 million range on long term deals but had to make some trades to clear space. I immediately thought of the Flames.

But then he said later that Hall wanted to finally play with an elite centre and thought, well that wouldn’t be Calgary, so maybe it was edmonton.
I can definitely see the Oilers “frantically” trying to make room for Hall thinking that more scoring is what they need.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #1878
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post

If someone told me:

I don’t get to hear very much, but a relative close to the team told me Hall wants to be an Oiler again. Lots can happen in a year but he thinks he’ll be back next year. What he said lined up with the media guys were saying.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #1879
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I don’t get to hear very much, but a relative close to the team told me Hall wants to be an Oiler again. Lots can happen in a year but he thinks he’ll be back next year. What he said lined up with the media guys were saying.
What? Why?

Of all the things that make no sense that one is up near the top.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #1880
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What? Why?

Of all the things that make no sense that one is up near the top.
No idea. Just what I was told. Most Oilers fans I talk to don’t want him back, but next year shall be interesting.
Closed Thread